Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Carputer - SC guys what do you think

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-04, 02:10 PM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

what about the O.S.?THE CARPUTER WILL REBOOT EVERY TIME YOU TURN THE CAR OFF,ON?RIGHT.HOW LONG FOR THE BOOT UP?
Old 07-16-04, 04:38 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You set the carputer to go into hibernate mode and that will not drain your battery if it's your daily driver. Boot up from hibernation is about 5-10secs.

You want one huh jess?
Old 07-16-04, 06:56 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ACleanSC4
You set the carputer to go into hibernate mode and that will not drain your battery if it's your daily driver. Boot up from hibernation is about 5-10secs.

You want one huh jess?
I want one...
Old 07-17-04, 07:55 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

acleansc4: the carputer is the way to go, looked awesome in person.

thanks for showing it to me!
Old 07-17-04, 09:39 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Hey Gazi, it was nice meeting up with you and Vinnie...thanks for the glovebox also!! I owe you for that
Old 07-18-04, 11:11 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys are off to a great start- keep up the good work!
tight!!!
Old 07-18-04, 12:28 PM
abboushi
Lexus Test Driver

I love this project its looks tight, but how did you or are you connecting the stock speakers (sub,amp etc...) to the carputer. and will a shuttle computer work also.

-Abboushi
Old 07-18-04, 04:53 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Abboushi: the via epia mobo i have is capable of 6 channel output. So using their software, I changed the jacks in the back out to 3 outputs. Used a converter to RCA's and plugged them into an amp. I'm still saving up to redo my whole system so I didn't do it cleanly yet.

Sound is pretty good though...

The you can get any computer to output to an amp but you might have to buy a soundcard. The via epia boards(the newer ones) are capable of 6 channel output. The shuttle boards might not be able to do that so you'll need to buy a sound card...a lot of people use the sound blaster audigy 2x or x2..something like that...

Last edited by ACleanSC4; 07-18-04 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-18-04, 05:18 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

While the board is capable of 6 channel output I do not think it is good. Its like comparing a Kia radio to a Nakamichi one - its obvious which one is better. I have used the onboard audio on my motherboard when my first Audigy died - the sound was awful, and this being on a very recent board. The difference was night and day when I got an Audigy 2. The Audigy 2 is THX certified, and they have one with support for 6.1. The Audigy 2 also decodes DVD Audo, and a lot of other features. When I build my carputer I will use the only PCI slot for the sound card, the rest can be on the USB. The problem I've heard with the Audigy 2 EX (External) is that it ties up the USB bus with all the data.
Old 07-18-04, 07:46 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Abboushi: the via epia mobo i have is capable of 6 channel output. So using their software, I changed the jacks in the back out to 3 outputs. Used a converter to RCA's and plugged them into an amp. I'm still saving up to redo my whole system so I didn't do it cleanly yet.

Sound is pretty good though...

The you can get any computer to output to an amp but you might have to buy a soundcard. The via epia boards(the newer ones) are capable of 6 channel output. The shuttle boards might not be able to do that so you'll need to buy a sound card...a lot of people use the sound blaster audigy 2x or x2..something like that...
i can reaffirm what he's saying. His unit was tested in my car as well and i was really impressed. everything worked fine with my 5-channel amp. sounded great! If you really want true home theatre sound, then by all means, get a pci sound card. it sounded good enough for me~ good job Tony...
Old 07-18-04, 09:00 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

0l33l : when you get your SC...definitely do a carputer and post it up. If you're just going to stick a computer case in the trunk, then yeah adding another sound card is the way to go. But I have my computer behind the monitor and there's no room for a sound card.

So conclusions? If you're going to put a computer case in your trunk, definitely get a good sound card. If you don't really care, you can fit the mobo/hd behind the monitor.

Well version 2 of my carputer is already getting underway so more updates will come...Thanks gazi for the extra glovebox, I'll try to make something nice out of it.

Tony
Old 07-18-04, 09:06 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

im back in ny.

tony im glad you can put that glovebox to use, it was collecting dust on my side.

keep up the good work.
Old 07-18-04, 09:54 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

0l33l : when you get your SC...definitely do a carputer and post it up. If you're just going to stick a computer case in the trunk, then yeah adding another sound card is the way to go. But I have my computer behind the monitor and there's no room for a sound card.

So conclusions? If you're going to put a computer case in your trunk, definitely get a good sound card. If you don't really care, you can fit the mobo/hd behind the monitor.

Well version 2 of my carputer is already getting underway so more updates will come...Thanks gazi for the extra glovebox, I'll try to make something nice out of it.

Tony
I'm gonna stick it in instead of the radio. You don't have place for a sound card because you probably didn't use a right angle riser card.
Old 07-18-04, 10:00 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by aliga
im back in ny.

tony im glad you can put that glovebox to use, it was collecting dust on my side.

keep up the good work.
good to see you came back safely.......... get some more of those pics up!!!
Old 07-18-04, 10:58 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 0l33l
I'm gonna stick it in instead of the radio. You don't have place for a sound card because you probably didn't use a right angle riser card.
i've seen those right angle riser card, and it still will not fit. you should try it in YOUR SC and post up. Did you ever find one yet? it's real tight back there.

Quick Reply: Carputer - SC guys what do you think