Sponsored by:

Carputer - SC guys what do you think

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-04, 09:11 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony, that looks great!

looks much better than your other one... don't forget to hook me up too!
Old 08-01-04, 09:45 AM
TopSCecreT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

holy munkiez, that looks crazy, im diggin it, omg, that is freakn awesome
Old 08-01-04, 10:35 AM
AaronE
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ACleanSC4
AaronE: that 8" is huge! looks sweet though! You might have to do a lot of modding for that to fit...

The measurements for my 7" xenarc are as follows: 7.75w x 4.75h x 1.38d
your 8" lilliput is: 8.11w x 6.42h x 1.56d
I'm worried about the height more than the width here...I did not have to do any modding to make the 7" fit. When I molded the screen in, I have about a half inch gap that I needed to fill. The difference in height between the 2 is over 1.5" so I don't know how that's going to work.
I'm going to be removing the ashtray to accomodate the additional height. Also, I'll be disassembling the Lilliput screen to take the actual display out of their plastic case. The display itself is 7.1"w * 5.5"h which just fits width wise (so I'll be able to make it flush) and with the removal of the ashtray, I've got plenty of room for height. I didn't wat to remove the ashtray (an extra 1/2" and I wouldn't have had to), but I'll maybe fill that area with a slot load DVD/CD-RW drive. I was also a little upset about the resolution (640*480 instead of 800*480) but only until I realized that at the distance from your eye to the dash, that resolution difference is beyond the resolution of the eye! Therefore, I just wanted big!
Old 08-02-04, 08:35 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i AM PRETTY SURE THAT i AM SELLING MY OTHER CAR TODAY, WHICH MEANS i CAN ORDER ALL MY cARPUTER PARTS TONIGHT.

oops, sorry for the caps, always have them on here @ work.
Old 08-02-04, 09:50 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Man, it's good to see all these SC owners jumping on this carputer craze. My PC unit arrived today via UPS so I'm going to be starting the process of loading software and testing all of the components tonight. I hope to have that part completed by this weekend and start the installation process.

Any suggestions for mounting the Lilliput 7" LCD? I AM going to keep my HU so mounting it there isn't an option.
Old 08-02-04, 11:15 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

just a thought, you may want to do something like nextlevelcoupe, and remove the rear view and mount the lcd unit there, and have a input from a backup camera as your new "rearview"
Old 08-02-04, 11:37 AM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Mold something that houses the screen to the top of the dash - something similar to the Idrive housing.

[Edit]: Pic.

Last edited by 0l33l; 08-02-04 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-02-04, 12:31 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

aliga: As soon as I get my wideangle rear view camera, I'll see what I can make it do with the carputer. hopefully tape some footage through it so you guys can see it. I just don't want to see what's behind me, I want to record it too! Hopefully it's not all that complicated.

0l33l: glad to see you finally got your SC, you got a lot of work to do on it...mounting it on top of the dash in your own enclosure would be cool, but a ton of custom work. Only if I had a extra dash to play with...

jeremyp111: i think if you don't plan to mold it inside your dash, it's going to look out of place. The monitor comes with a stand that you can rig up to stand next to your headunit.

I'm glad I got some interest out of this project that many were skeptical about. I still use it to this day with ZERO problems. I just have to clean up the way it looks a bit more and add a slimload dvd drive.

As always, i'm constantly upgrading...lots of good things to come...
Old 08-02-04, 12:34 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I am selling my 1998 Jetta today for $6400. Less then I wanted, but it allows me to spend $1200 on whatever I want for the Lexus and still break even (still cant believe I got a SC300 5 speed for $2k )

So I will either go for the Carputer (which I need pretty bad, considering that the CD changer doesnt work) or put the money towards my NA-T/1JZ swap.
Old 08-02-04, 06:31 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ACleanSC4

jeremyp111: i think if you don't plan to mold it inside your dash, it's going to look out of place. The monitor comes with a stand that you can rig up to stand next to your headunit.
I think this is the way I'm gonna go for now. When a quality USB radio card comes out that has GOOD reception, then I'll remove the HU and put it in the HU opening.

J
Old 08-02-04, 07:00 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by jeremyp111
I think this is the way I'm gonna go for now. When a quality USB radio card comes out that has GOOD reception, then I'll remove the HU and put it in the HU opening.

J
Why don't you try molding the screen into the dash? IMO the screens look out of place if next to the HU.

BTW: People say that the TV/FM quality on this USB TV/FM tuner is acceptable. Also the antennas included with the units are junk, hooking into our huge antenna would boost the signal reception and quality greatly.
Old 08-02-04, 07:34 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

i so love progress! lets keep this going strong guys!! excellent efforts are being made here!
Old 08-04-04, 06:57 PM
Senator
Lexus Champion

Hey guys, I am new here at the website and let me just say that this is freaking awesome! I have been talking this up with a couple of my buddies who own a GS and a SC, they are all for it now, I am currently in the market for an SC300, haven't found really what it is I am looking for, just waiting for the right molment, but now thanks to all you guys, I have got an better idea for things to do to it! Keep up the good work!
Old 11-18-04, 06:20 PM
loonyrobert3
Lead Lap

i want to know if this while work ok in some old school chevys??? i have to friends that want to do this in there chevys! so there question is: is there an already built one that they can buy?? they really dont know much about comps. also can u run ur car system to it?? in that i mean a 6 pack(6 12" subs)??also can u run the carputer to several screens??? like 2 visors a 15" flip a 10" molded in the dash??? also they want to be able to sign on to the internet while driving and use a keyboard and mouse while parked and have use for keyboard and mouse for passagers while u drive also with the keyboard in touchscreen options??? also they would like for it to play the fm radio to!!! also use xp and word and wat not!!! i can see it now some one installing a printer and doing there work in there car and if ur in college and forgot to do an assignment and ur in class run to the "bathroom" and do it lol!!!! ohhh and i saw the video of the working comp. in this thread and where do you get ur videos from????

thanks
robert!!

Last edited by loonyrobert3; 11-18-04 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-18-04, 08:07 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

You can do all of what you ask. The place to check out is mp3car.com. There is tons of information on that site and it's all on carputers.

Quick Reply: Carputer - SC guys what do you think