Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

1996 LS400 How much trouble to replace Nakimichi System with Aftermarket System?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-04, 10:47 AM
maxbogus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 LS400 How much trouble to replace Nakimichi System with Aftermarket System?

As crazy as it sounds, I'm thinking about replacing the Nakimichi AM/FM/Cassette/CD Changer/Amp System with an aftermarket system (Kenwood HeadUnit with separate 10-CD Changer that was previously installed in my Tundra Xtended Cab Truck).

"Why?" and "Have you forgotten to take your medication?", you may ask. Well, the Nakimichi system does sound great, but it doesn't have inputs for XM Radio and I loved the way the Kenwood system sounded in the Tundra with 6-speakers (Kenwood tweeters and Infinity speakers).

Now I know XM has the cassette thingy and the FM Modular thingy, but after talking to users of these methods, it doesn't appear like these are the best methods to hear xm for one reason or another.

So here it is, will the swap be relatively uneventful or would it be easier/cheaper to buy a new ls430??

Your input is appreciated.

Last edited by maxbogus; 06-19-04 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-01-04, 03:05 PM
paulsuerth
Driver School Candidate

i'm interested in doing something similar, though not necessarily replacing the changer in the dash. are there systems that interface to the dash cd changer ?
Old 08-01-04, 08:38 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

yes if you buy a pioneer made system i can by changing 2 parts in your cd changer make it compatible with any pioneer aftermarket headunit that can directly control a pioneer cd changer. since your ls400 6 disc was made by pioneer it is possible to make this alteratioin and not loose the high end 1000.00 lexus cd changer. the wood cd changer faceplate in front of the changer that you can see when you open thewupper glovebox costs 334.00 just for that piece. so i agree with the idea of keeping the factory changer with the pioneer aftermarket. the most common pioneer headunit i have done the conversion for is the pioneer avic-n1 navigation , dvd, cd mp3 player. since the avic-n1 is the best bargain in that level of headunit available right now you wouldnt be sacrificing by going with a pioneer headunit to keep your changer. the avic-n1 is the best of the best and came in a 700.00 cheaper than the 2 piece nav dvd model it replaced. by keeping the cd changer in the glovebox you wont have to change your cds while driving or wear out the dvd cd laser single cd mechanism by playing cd music. ti can do the conversion can be done for 75.00. aty trade in time if you wanted to put ithe lexus cd changer back to factory headunit compartiblity i would do it for shipping cost only.
Old 08-02-04, 08:22 AM
paulsuerth
Driver School Candidate

i'll look up the HU you mentioned. on a related note, does this unit control the antenna correctly?
Old 08-02-04, 08:27 AM
paulsuerth
Driver School Candidate

also any other HU's that will work?