Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket amp to SC nak system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-04, 04:54 PM
mktbully
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket amp to SC nak system?

any way to run an aftermarket amp to power the stock nak system on the SC?
Old 06-23-04, 08:04 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you asking if it is possible to use an aftermarket amp to power the stock speakers in the SC? If so yes, it is possible but wouldn't really do much. If you go with an aftermarket amp, you might as well remove the stock sub and install a better unit. In my SC, I left the front speakers stock and let the stock speaker amp power them. However, I installed an aftermarket amp and an alumapro sub which makes things sound tons better.
Old 06-23-04, 09:01 PM
mktbully
Pole Position

one problem is that the stock amp shorted in the trunk. i don't mind replacing speakers and using a new amp...but i really would like to keep the stock head unit. any way to salvage this?

thanks!!
Old 06-23-04, 09:08 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

hmm.....so the sub amp shorted out and now doesn't work?? yea it is still possible to use your stock head unit.. let me get back to you on how to do it. I will Pm you tomorrow or just post here
'
Old 06-23-04, 09:35 PM
mktbully
Pole Position

i believe the nak system runs off 1 amp...5 channel?

whatever info you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Dan
Old 06-23-04, 09:41 PM
sc300n00b
Pole Position

Originally posted by mktbully
i believe the nak system runs off 1 amp...5 channel?

whatever info you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Dan
This is correct...all 4 speakers and the sub in the Nak premium system are powered by a single 5-channel amp. If it's blown you'll probably need to replace it with a multi-channel amp and this can be done without too much trouble from what I have gathered on here. Hardest part will probably be getting to the back of your stock head unit to find the pins for the amp etc
Unless your amp took your speakers to the graveyard with it, in which case everything will have to be replaced. You probably wanna get aftermarket speakers anyways...sound much better than the paper cone speakers that come stock...even if it is Nakamichi.
Old 06-23-04, 09:47 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

AHHHH- i was wrong!! MY bad== the only reason you would need to access the back of you r head unit would be if you were installing a cd changer.

Last edited by FireCode; 06-23-04 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-24-04, 05:22 AM
mktbully
Pole Position

Originally posted by sc300n00b
This is correct...all 4 speakers and the sub in the Nak premium system are powered by a single 5-channel amp. If it's blown you'll probably need to replace it with a multi-channel amp and this can be done without too much trouble from what I have gathered on here. Hardest part will probably be getting to the back of your stock head unit to find the pins for the amp etc
Unless your amp took your speakers to the graveyard with it, in which case everything will have to be replaced. You probably wanna get aftermarket speakers anyways...sound much better than the paper cone speakers that come stock...even if it is Nakamichi.
if the amp took a dump and blew up would the head unit still turn on, because nothing turns on right now.

any info on replacing the amp with aftermarket one?
thanks!!
Old 06-24-04, 09:37 AM
sc300n00b
Pole Position

Wow...nothing turns on?
I'd start with the simple things first like checking your fuses for the radio. If those are good then it might be that the entire system is shot but before spending any money I'd pull the deck itself out and have it tested to see if it works. If it does, then you test the amp and so on and so forth until you isolate the problem. If the whole system just up and died on ya out of the blue it might just be a fuse quite possibly. Also check for water in your trunk area...if its wet around the amp that could be a possible reason also.
Old 06-25-04, 04:53 PM
mktbully
Pole Position

Originally posted by sc300n00b
Wow...nothing turns on?
I'd start with the simple things first like checking your fuses for the radio. If those are good then it might be that the entire system is shot but before spending any money I'd pull the deck itself out and have it tested to see if it works. If it does, then you test the amp and so on and so forth until you isolate the problem. If the whole system just up and died on ya out of the blue it might just be a fuse quite possibly. Also check for water in your trunk area...if its wet around the amp that could be a possible reason also.
welp it was a swimming pool in the trunk....i drained it.

the 20A under hood fuse kept on blowing. i traced it back to the trunk and once i disconnected the amp the fuse didn't blow..but the head unit still wouldn't turn on.

how do i test the head unit? the power switch is on the console trim...so not sure how to work it to turn on...i guess i can keep it connected and turn it on like that?
Old 06-25-04, 07:54 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

have you checked the head unit fuse yet??
Old 06-26-04, 01:27 AM
mktbully
Pole Position

Originally posted by Pirate400
have you checked the head unit fuse yet??
you talking about the one that's in the cabin (10 or 15A) that's around the driver side kick panel?

OR

is there an actual fuse on the unit itself? i looked around and unit and i don't see an actual fuse on it. maybe i missed something. keep in mind it's a Nak system.

thanks!
Old 06-26-04, 08:32 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

under the hood in the fuse box... When my radio wouldnt turn on, the radio fuse under the hood had blown.. The box is located on the drivers side near the front.
Old 06-26-04, 03:04 PM
mktbully
Pole Position

Originally posted by Pirate400
under the hood in the fuse box... When my radio wouldnt turn on, the radio fuse under the hood had blown.. The box is located on the drivers side near the front.
it WAS blowing that...until i disconnected the amp then it didn't do that anymore. it's ok now.

you think the head unit blew up at the same time?
Old 06-27-04, 11:45 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

I doubt that the head unit croaked. Its possible but unlikely. Thats why the fuse is there. Protection