Sponsored by:

Polk momo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-04, 07:17 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Polk momo?

I am looking to upgrade the speakers in my 98 GS400 with the stock Pioneer system. I called Tweeter, and they recommended Polk Momo speakers (I might be spelling that wrong). Has anyone heard of these? Is Tweeter pushing these because they get them cheap and can mark them up? Just curious. Thanks.

e-man
Old 06-27-04, 11:41 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I have heard===I have never listened to Polk Momo, this is just what I have heard=== They are overpriced and you can better for less. Paying for the name in some ways. Now, people with them may disagree and thats fine too.
Old 06-27-04, 08:56 PM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

plk audio makes great items but there momo line up is way over priced ..here is a link to thee stuff
http://www.polkaudio.com/car/category.php?name=polkmomo
Old 06-28-04, 09:09 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Biggest problem with Polk Momo is the weight of their speaker cones. They apparently tried so hard to make them stiff (marketing), and along with making them flashy looking, they made the cones too heavy, too much mass. Most speakers in their line don't have the response that they could have, but they're well made - and yes, overpriced.
Old 06-28-04, 04:00 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love PolkAudio and have an all Polk system. I just bought Polk tweeters and crossovers for the rear doors and will be installing them this weekend. Everyone wants to say Polk is overpriced marketing hype - They may not be W7's but they are well worth the money. Much better than My XTANT subs and MUCH TIGHTER and more ACCURATE than my old Infinity 12's.

I have 2 Polk Momo MM12's in a seperate sealed Plexiglass boxes. In the enclosure, they are a little heavy but TIGHT, ACCURATE , THUMP and move a lot of air. Sometimes we can't take it in the car. They only require .88ft3 of space so they both fit on the ledge in the GS' trunk.

As far as price, I didn't pay the retail $399.00 for just ONE MM12, I bought both for 400.oo. I'm only giving them 300 watts a piece right now so I haven't even had a chance to really push their limit and I'm happy.

This isn't my trunk but a photo of my subs and their enclosures.

Here's a link to the actual woofer, in case you want to build your own box.
http://www.polkaudio.com/car/product.php?name=mm124

Last edited by TwentyTen; 06-28-04 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-28-04, 04:37 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Sorry, Darius, did not mean to insult. You got a good deal if you got both for 400. Glad you like them.
I actually like the regular Polk stuff, just thought they overdid the marketing on the Momo stuff.
Old 06-28-04, 04:44 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Ah don't worry, no offense taken.

I think the MOMO part of Polk is purely cosmetics. I think Polk designs a great speaker then sends it to MOMO designers for a "look". Kind of like the Audiobahn Flames thing. The chrome flames actually make Audiobahn look cheap to me, just like some of the grills on Polk MOMO products.
Old 06-29-04, 10:53 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Don't mean to thread-jack, but since you mentioned it, the Audiobahn subwoofer (one with flames) that was reviewed in Car Audio & Electronics recently got a HORRENDOUS writeup, among the worst writeups I've EVER seen for any piece of gear. Usually, the writers try to be politically correct and not offend any company that can potentially give them advertising money, but in this case, the testing sopke for itself. I don't think there was any choice. I was pretty surprised that the woofer didn't test out better.
Old 06-29-04, 06:41 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Since I gave my .02 I'll drift off topic for a second ,

Car Audio & Electronics (July 04) just reviewed a Lanzar amp and gave it a thumbs up great review...Lanzar?? I thought they were a swap meet brand. Guess it shows that the numbers are what counts, not the marketing money.