Sponsored by:

Laptop w/ GPS Navigation in car.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-04, 05:11 PM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info,

So im assuming you are using a headunit, right?

I was thinking of not using a headunit at all, putting the 7" screen in place of the radio[prob. would have to move the AC controls down to the bottom of the console-like rmmgs4 did]

how are you setting it up with a HU?

thats for clearing the AMP situation up - I guess it is better to go with 2 AMPS - but how bout if im not using a headunit?
Old 07-09-04, 06:39 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Originally posted by CaMsGS3
thanks for the info,

So im assuming you are using a headunit, right?

I was thinking of not using a headunit at all, putting the 7" screen in place of the radio[prob. would have to move the AC controls down to the bottom of the console-like rmmgs4 did]

how are you setting it up with a HU?

thats for clearing the AMP situation up - I guess it is better to go with 2 AMPS - but how bout if im not using a headunit?
I'm not using a HU per say either. The sound out of the computer will be connected to the amps except that in between I'm putting the pioneer digital sound processor to have better control of the sound settings/quality

I'm not moving the AC controls down. That's a tremendous amount of additional custom fitting and I can always revert to the stock look at any time. In addition, once you get use to where the controls are, you shouldn't have to look at the screen any longer than you look at the HU now while you're driving. Also, my A/C controls have wood on it. Moving them down wouldn't look right in my case.
Old 07-09-04, 10:07 PM
killabud
Driver School Candidate

Well i havnt a lexus, but i did install a full size computer with a 12.5 TOUCH SCREEN! in my 01 Dodge Ram2500
I LOVE my car computer it has it all: and it cost me almost nothing
OLD PIII 500mhz
256m ram
vodoo 16MB 3500 TV card winth composit and svideo in/outs
GPS receiver
Back up Camera (pinhole spycam in topper)
Audio out to a JVC headunit feeding a 600w Soundstream pushing two kicker VR 15''
Sony PS1, Computer emulation for Atari,NES,SNES,GENIS with almost every game ever made
two analog game controlers
DIVX
DVD
G band wirless LAN
Im trying to figure out how to interface my power windows control to windows (probly by writing a VB script ) but i wounder which I/O to use?? any ideas??

I LOVE MY TRUCKPC

I Got more pics worth the time to upload???? you tell me? requests?
Old 07-11-04, 08:05 PM
asci01
Pole Position

I wish I had the room of your truck on my GS !

Looks good
Old 07-11-04, 08:36 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Here's a preview

another front view

testing the DVD player

back view

another back view

How do I insert the pictures directly in my post?
Old 07-11-04, 11:11 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-12-04, 11:05 AM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by asci01
I'm not using a HU per say either. The sound out of the computer will be connected to the amps except that in between I'm putting the pioneer digital sound processor to have better control of the sound settings/quality

I'm not moving the AC controls down. That's a tremendous amount of additional custom fitting and I can always revert to the stock look at any time. In addition, once you get use to where the controls are, you shouldn't have to look at the screen any longer than you look at the HU now while you're driving. Also, my A/C controls have wood on it. Moving them down wouldn't look right in my case.
so can this be done without using a digital sound processor[I would just be using the sound out on the my PC to the RCA inputs on the AMP]

the reason why I thought I had to move the A/C controls down is because when I measured the Lilliput monitor into the radio spot it wasnt gonna fit, but i can see that you fit it in there nice

nice pics, cant wait to see them when there installed in the GS,are you going to post a review/DIY??

check your PM....
Old 07-12-04, 03:41 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Originally posted by CaMsGS3
so can this be done without using a digital sound processor[I would just be using the sound out on the my PC to the RCA inputs on the AMP]

the reason why I thought I had to move the A/C controls down is because when I measured the Lilliput monitor into the radio spot it wasnt gonna fit, but i can see that you fit it in there nice

nice pics, cant wait to see them when there installed in the GS,are you going to post a review/DIY??

check your PM....
Yes, you should be able to do it without a DSP. You could just use an equalizer or nothing at all by connecting the computer sound to your amp(s) since the computer I got has five channel sound output.

The lilli will fit if you discard the front-half of the enclosure and set the back-half of enclosure about 1" back which is enough to clear the front end of the ash tray. You won't need access to the buttons once all the monitor settings are set. Furthermore, the monitor will turn on and off automatically when the computer is turn on and off which also is done automatically by the special power controller (ITPS). In the rare event that you need to change the monitor settings, all you have to do is pull the ash tray out and the lilli controls will be right there or If you really want to get fancy, you could relocate the lilli infrared sensor to, let's say, somewhere around the clock, and you could change the settings with the remote. But that's a lot of effort for such a rare occasion.

Sorry about the pictures being dark. It was late Sunday when I finally got a chance to do it. And yes I will post more pics as soon as I can.

Need someone to show me how to embed the pics directly in the post, though.

Anyone, please?
Old 07-12-04, 03:43 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Thanks Darius2004 for putting the pics in the message

How did you do it? I'm probably the only one here that doesn't know how
Old 07-12-04, 04:34 PM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

How did you do it? I'm probably the only one here that doesn't know how
just click browse and attach your pic
the pic below should explain it more
Attached Thumbnails Laptop w/ GPS Navigation in car.-l-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by CaMsGS3; 07-12-04 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-12-04, 07:47 PM
asci01
Pole Position

It looks like I made it to bright now. As you can tell, my camera doesn't take good close ups.

CaMsGS3 thanks for the tip on how to attach files. I sent you a PM
Attached Thumbnails Laptop w/ GPS Navigation in car.-gs-monitor-enclosure.jpg  

Last edited by asci01; 07-12-04 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-12-04, 09:31 PM
killabud
Driver School Candidate

is that a touch screen also?
I have a heck of a time trying to control things on my 12.5" set to 800x600
I guess your next project will be grafting a touch pad or roller ball into your console
dont forget to get a gps antenna for microsoft streets and trips or DELORME atlas...I like delorme casue it talks to ya, and takes voice commands.

room IVE gots ton of room you cant do this in a LEX

AND the reson i was on this site...I was working on a sc400 trying to put in bigger door speakers
the crap for the factory

MUCH MUCH BETTER...oh also replaced the tweets and put some coaxial 6.25" in the rear deck

Last edited by killabud; 07-12-04 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-12-04, 10:51 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Yes it is touch screen.

Delorme. That's what I will install... GPS with voice commands and response !

This project is sooooo much fun !

I will create a DIY once I iron all the wrinkles. In the mean time, feel free to ask question. I will be happy to share all the do's and dont's.
Old 07-13-04, 12:51 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will create a DIY once I iron all the wrinkles. In the mean time, feel free to ask question. I will be happy to share all the do's and dont's.
WooHoo!
Old 07-13-04, 04:55 PM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

cant wait
couple of "early" questions for ya,I know these will prob. be answered in the DIY but im looking to get a head start

from the pics i can see that the screen is not fully flushed with the dash. the screen looks like it pushed back a little - how many inches is it back?

How are you powering this thing, In your previous post you mentioned something about "ITPS" . Im not to familiar with that PowerSupply for carPC use. I was looking into the OPUS[click for more info] power supplies or the

Carnetix PS. The Carnetix is fairly new. But most people over at mp3car.com swear by the OPUS - the only downside is that this PS is about $200 bucks

Round 2 of questions will be about the PC case/parts you used, but thats for next time

check your PM

Quick Reply: Laptop w/ GPS Navigation in car.