Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

93 LS, 5.25" speaker install...bit off WAY more than I can chew!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-04, 09:55 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy 93 LS, 5.25" speaker install...bit off WAY more than I can chew!

Hey all,

I am a bit distressed. I purchased two sets of Boston Acoustics ProSeries 5.5's (5.25" woofer/mid and 1" tweeter components) and am having a hell of a time trying to fit them in my 93 LS.

I tried simply making the opening bigger on the front enclosures like Earl did on his (lexls.com) with terrible results. I don't like how you have to hack into that step up leaving a huge gap near the bottom of the speaker. Doing this only allows me to screw the speaker on in only 3 of the 4 mounting holes.

The rear door enclosures are even a BIGGER nightmare than the fronts. They are shaped so irregularly that enlarging is completely out of the question (yes, I did try). On the rears, I am mounting the tweeter on bracket that hovers it over the 5.25" (axis mount).

I attemped to build a custom enclosure from the front, but I am no carpenter. I hate my woodworking skills. So, this leads me to my main question:

Has anybody made custom enclosures for 5.25's while keeping a stock appearance? If so, would you be willing to make another set? I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants something like this!

Thanks,
DRD
Old 06-28-04, 12:15 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have done some for 6'5s using the stock plastic piece and some MDF but it was great pain and I don't think I would like to do that again. What you can do is cut the top of the speaker box off and glue a piece of flat MDF on top of it. That is how I made mine.

Pete
Old 06-28-04, 12:34 AM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Retro,

By top of the box, do you mean face? Any pics of your old set up using the 6's? I couldn't find anything on your site except a serious, professional pair of sixes in each door.

You did give me an idea though. I'll try cutting the face off of the enclosure and inlay MDF to fit. I'll screw/glue it in all around. To get the depth, I'll cut a spacer out of MDF and screw/glue that to the face.

If they don't look too terrible, perhaps I'll take some pics and post them.

Thanks again,
DRD

Last edited by ThaDRD; 06-28-04 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-28-04, 08:40 AM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes take some pics please. Im about to do this project as well using 2 pairs of Infinity Reference 5.5 (5.25" with a tweeter). The front speakers im going to do like what Earl has in his site, but with the rear I have no clue on how to get it in there.

So if you figure out a way to make a 5.25" speaker and a tweeter fit in the rear doors please let me know.
Old 07-03-04, 09:11 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Problem solved....had a shop do it. They made a simple baffle board for the rear speakers and used Earl's technique on the fronts. I'm not sure if you can tell in the pic, but the edge is not square. It's been shaved at like a 45 degree angle to sit in the hole better. They then used self tapping screws to mount it to the door.

Later,
DRD