Sponsored by:

Battery "Perspiring" slightly

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-04, 09:14 AM
bezeeduzit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Battery "Perspiring" slightly

For a while now i have had the common problem of my interior lights blinking and the radio being interrupted when pressing the brakes.

I was looking under the hood yesterday to locate the ground fron the battery to the boday and noticed sum substantial corrosion and peeling of metal under and around where the ground wire meets the body. After noticing that i looked at the battery and noticed that there was a little sign of moisture on the top of the battery and also a drop of somthing that resembled bird droppings but i can assume it must be coming from the battery. It is a pretty decent battery i think its a powermaster, and i just installed it bout a year ago.

Also i have a 12 inch sub powered by a 2 channel 900 watt amp and i also have an after market 900 watt amp that powers the rest. I have been thinking maybe i need a capacitor because the system maybe drawing too much power from the battery or somthing.

I have done a lot of searching and reading about this problem but still have not been able to get a solution or fix for mine. Sorry for the long post , im just not that mecanically inclined when it comes to cars so im just trying to learn now. Getting a little frustrated and i love my sc but i just want it to run right. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
Old 07-01-04, 09:39 AM
hwallen172
Driver

It is very possible that your negative battery cable has too much resistance and is causing your problems. If you do a search on "ghosts in the electrical system," you'll find that this is a common problem. I'll bet if you push one of your power window switches up while the window is already up, you'll notice the radio and interior lights will lose power momentarily. I fixed my battery cable just by replacing the terminal, but others have replaced it with the cable from a GS300.
Old 07-01-04, 09:47 AM
bezeeduzit
Rookie

That is exactly what happens, should i try a new grounding cable
Old 07-01-04, 09:57 AM
hwallen172
Driver

The way I fixed my problem was to cut off the factory battery terminal on the negative cable, obtain a nice, heavy duty battery terminal from the auto parts store, strip back an inch of insulation on the cable to install the new terminal, and made sure all my connections were tight and clean including where the cable attaches to the engine block. You could purchase a replacement cable from Lexus. However, you mentioned that you're into aftermarket audio. A good stereo shop could set you up with a nice grounding cable for less.
Old 07-01-04, 11:19 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

I used a 4gauge length of audio cable grounded to the same point. Auto parts stores have 4 gauge cables with terminals already soldered on for your conveniece =)
should cost about $5 for the cable. WIll need about 12 inches.