Sponsored by:

Bad info -- this can't be right

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-04, 06:21 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Bad info -- this can't be right

I own a 98 GS400 with the stock Pioneer Lexus Premium stereo. It's okay, but just okay, and I want to upgrade the system yet retain the stock head unit. I went over to a local shop today and asked what my options were. I told them I either wanted to swap out the speakers, amp, add a subwoofer, or any combination of these. I said that I ideally would like to start with changing the speakers, and then move on to other projects if necessary. The guy scratched his head, talked to a few of the techs, and then proceeded to tell me that I cannot just change out the speakers or add a subwoofer because the system will not accept other components. He said the only way to upgrade the system would be to change everything out -- speakers, amp, wiring and then I could also consider adding a subwoofer.

Is this information accurate? If I want to, say, change the front door speakers, can't I just buy new ones, take the old ones out and put the new ones in (assuming they fit)? I am sure I am missing something here. Anyone?

e-man
Old 07-02-04, 07:25 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

umm.. find a new shop??
Old 07-02-04, 07:33 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Thanks. That's what I thought. These guys seemed like knuckleheads.
Old 07-04-04, 04:42 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup - find a new shop. I've been to a few BS shops before finally finding someone that works on Lexus.

I started with the stereo too. 1st I changed the speakers, the added and amp to the exisiting amp. Then added another amp. Then changed out the entire stock system with new wiring, a head unit and removing the stock sub. The stock sysem will work with aftermarket components but you will find that theigher quality comoponents will bring out the flaws (noise and uneven time correction) in the stock head unit.

My suggestion is wait on the upgrade unitl you can start with a new head unit. Run the new head unit to the stock amp (extra components required). Then ungrade the speakers. Then upgrade the amp.
Old 07-04-04, 06:27 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Thanks Darius. Keeping the stock head unit is important to me, and I realize that limits my options right off the bat. You sound like you know a lot about this stuff. Bearing in mind that I want to keep the stock head unit, what would be the best way to get the system sounding better: (1) replace speakers; (2) change amp; (3) replace free air subwoofer; and/or (4) add enclosed subwoofer in trunk. I am not a music fanatic by any means, but I commute about 60 miles a day for work and I like to listen to the radio and a few discs (mostly classic rock). What do you think?

e-man
Old 07-04-04, 07:51 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi eMan,

Since you listen to classic rock then sound quality is important. I uderstand wanting to keep the stock head unit, that was my original goal too, until I couldn't handle the noise level anymore.

I suggest you start with the speakers. Then upgrade to a nice 5 channel amp to replace the stock amp. You will need 2 Line output converters when you upgrade the amp to ensure that the stock head unit can get a signal to the new amp.

As far as the sub goes, there are a lot of people here on CL that are happy with the stock sub or just upgraded the stock sub to a nice Pioneer Fee-Air 10". I say you get a pair of 12's that require .88 cubic feet each. This was you can buy/build a sub box that fits on the ledge in the trunk of the GS and doesn't take up any precious cargo space. If you go that route, just remove the stock sub and all of the sound from the new sub will fill the cabin.

1.) Upgrade the cabin speakers. This will immediately make a night and day difference! I way amazed at how BAD the Nakamichi Premium sound system sounded. My wife described it as "It sounds like someone put pillows over the speakers or they are underwater".

2.) Upgrade the stock amp to a 5 channel. The five channel amp wioll power the cabin speakers and 1-2 subs.

What is your reason for keeping the stock head unit? Mine was to deter theft. I wanted the car to look as stock as possible from the outside, that feeling faded

Here is a write up of how I replaced my stock speakers. This is before I added Dyanmat. I will take updated photos later:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...378#post754378

Make sure you read the whole thing, the updates are at the bottom. The first photos you see were my forst attempt at upgrading the sound.

Last edited by TwentyTen; 07-04-04 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-04-04, 07:59 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Thanks, Darius. I want to keep the stock head unit because I want to keep the console/dash looking as stock as possible. In a few years, I will most likely sell this GS (98 GS400) and buy a newer one. I will be selling this car and want it to appeal to the masses. Thus, any changes I make to the sound system must be under the skin, so to speak.

As for the stock subwoofer, maybe there's something wrong with mine, but there is very little sound coming out of it. I agree that the stock cabin speakers are poor to average at best. In fact, sometimes it is a little painful to listen to them. However, the thing that's definitely missing is bass, which is why I thought I would start with the sub and work from there. It sounds like you're saying that a speaker/amp upgrade is the way to go. Is it possible that not enough juice is flowing to the stock sub and that a new amp might bring the whole system to life?

I haven't yet looked at the link you sent me, but I'll check it out right now.

e-man