Sponsored by:

Speaker Install - "How-To" with TONS of pics!! LS400

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-04, 06:21 PM
Four Door
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Speaker Install

VRAA excellent job on the speaker install with pictures and instructions, RETRODRIVE would be proud of you! Have a question, did the Boston Accoustic 4" speakers fit in the enclosure exactly as the OEM Lexus/Nak speakers? I installed a set of Nak SP-452 4" speakers in the rear doors of my '92 LS400. The new Nak speakers have a smaller speaker frame then the OEM Lexus/Nak speakers and I used silicone sealant to fill in the gaps between the speakers and the plastic enclosure (box) to make an air tight seal. I'v had the front door speaker enclosures apart and if I remember correctly the crossover is wired before the midrange speaker and will cut out the upper frequncies sending them to the door pillar tweeters. The installation of the Nak "aftermarket" SP-452 two way speakers in the rear doors added a slight volume boost to the high end frequencies but didn't seem to upset the sound stage. I prefer all my tone controls set flat. From everything I'v read and people I have talked to it is very difficult to get much bass out of 4" speakers no matter what you do.
Old 07-21-04, 11:27 PM
ViKTORiOUS
Rookie

Just to let you guys know, vraa is only 16, shows how skilled he is at his age, bravo to him!
Old 07-23-04, 09:56 AM
CaVleX
Driver School Candidate

Default 96 LS 400 Speakers

I also have bouston acoustics in my Lex- I installed the FS50! That's right the 5 1/4" component in the front. What a challenge. But it is in. The speaker molding had to be cut. All and all the sounds are clear and provide a strong sound. in the back I have MB Quartz. I will say this that It is not the same sound as the factory, the factory in this car was well above average, but with proper customization and the right head unit. You will not regret the choice. My head unit is the alpine 9815 Gives me a full band eq so i get to tweek it all the way.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/607325
Old 09-14-04, 03:15 PM
mastermind
Driver School Candidate

will those speakers fit in the non nakimichi system? i have the regualr pionner audio system in my LS
Old 09-17-04, 12:16 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by mastermind
will those speakers fit in the non nakimichi system? i have the regualr pionner audio system in my LS
they are both 4" speakers in the Pioneer and Nak enclosures.
Old 10-06-04, 04:23 PM
aaronls400
Driver School Candidate

Default audio ?

I've heard from a few people that the wiring has to be re-done if I want to run aftermarket speakers from the stock headunit. Is this true? Also, if I want to add a different deck, where can I get the install kit?
Old 10-06-04, 04:30 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 356 Likes on 207 Posts
Default Re: audio ?

Originally posted by aaronls400
I've heard from a few people that the wiring has to be re-done if I want to run aftermarket speakers from the stock headunit. Is this true? Also, if I want to add a different deck, where can I get the install kit?
That's what the bastards at a BUNCH of audio shops told me. I said, **** them and I started doing stuff on my own

As you can see in my pictures above, I am running aftermarket speakers on what essentially is, a stock Nakamichi system.

As for the deck, I have no idea, but I'll help you look around. I remember seeing a site with a lot of Lexus LS400 tutorials on it and I believe the man who runs and owns the site is a frequent poster on the LS400 forum here at Clublexus, I just can't remember who it is.
Old 10-06-04, 09:41 PM
aaronls400
Driver School Candidate

Default audio

Thanks a lot, I think I'm just going to install new speakers with the stock wiring. Do you think I could replace the stock tweeters too with the stock wiring? Also, are they 4 inch mids front and rear?
Old 10-06-04, 10:18 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Default Re: audio

Originally posted by aaronls400
Thanks a lot, I think I'm just going to install new speakers with the stock wiring. Do you think I could replace the stock tweeters too with the stock wiring? Also, are they 4 inch mids front and rear?
Stock wiring worked great for me.

Tweeters? Just the four inch front and rear, yes they can be replaced with the exact "ohmage" that I used.
Old 10-07-05, 01:15 PM
KIMPCRAGG
Driver School Candidate

Default Help, Need Info On 1992 Ls400rear Speaker Install

Hi All,
I'm Trying To Install Rear Door Speakers On 1992 Ls 400.............. Need Help On How To Get All Door Planels Off So I Don't Goof Up............ Thanks For Any Help.................
Old 05-01-06, 06:42 AM
KU Lex
Driver School Candidate

I did it! I was able to replace my front speakers myself thanks to this killer tutorial. It really wasn't very difficult. It took two hours, but as long as you are somewhat careful to not break anything this is a great DIY fix. Thank bro.
P.S. for those of you about to try this, dont forget about the little light under the arm rest. It sucks when you think your done and you find that you didn't reconnect the light
Old 08-09-06, 05:25 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Originally Posted by KU Lex
I did it! I was able to replace my front speakers myself thanks to this killer tutorial. It really wasn't very difficult. It took two hours, but as long as you are somewhat careful to not break anything this is a great DIY fix. Thank bro.
P.S. for those of you about to try this, dont forget about the little light under the arm rest. It sucks when you think your done and you find that you didn't reconnect the light
KU Lex, that happened to me a lot of times. I'd think I was done and then it would hit me, I'd forget to plug something back in.

It's really a no brainer though, I haven't had time to do it on moms LS430 and I gave up on the X5 as it's my sisters now. I'm in the search for a new car to break apart
Old 08-17-06, 06:23 PM
45jimmy
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what about the tweeter?
Old 08-17-06, 09:43 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

What about it?
Old 12-22-06, 08:42 PM
rsg