Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Static hiss coming from new speaker and amp setup!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-01, 11:05 PM
CyberSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Hi all,

I decided to install 2 sets of Diamond Audio M5 components and Eclipse amp (can't remember model number), and full high grade Rockford wiring...anyways, I am noticing a static hiss coming from the speakers when between songs! A friend told me that it's because the wires might have been layed along the same side as the rest of the cars power cables (thus causing interference) can this be the reason?

I really love the sound I'm getting, but the hiss is a problem. I am sure it's not alternator noise as there's no whinining coming from the speakers.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone has info on this. Gonna take the car back to the shop anyways, but I wanna be armed with some info. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-08-01, 08:49 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What is the exact layout of your system? Interconnect wires laid on top of power wires WILL cause a whine/hiss. Does this hissing still occur when the car is off? (Battery power only) Also, some processors will cause hiss, specifically outboard processors.

Percy

Originally posted by CyberGS3
Hi all,

I decided to install 2 sets of Diamond Audio M5 components and Eclipse amp (can't remember model number), and full high grade Rockford wiring...anyways, I am noticing a static hiss coming from the speakers when between songs! A friend told me that it's because the wires might have been layed along the same side as the rest of the cars power cables (thus causing interference) can this be the reason?

I really love the sound I'm getting, but the hiss is a problem. I am sure it's not alternator noise as there's no whinining coming from the speakers.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone has info on this. Gonna take the car back to the shop anyways, but I wanna be armed with some info. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-08-01, 09:00 PM
CyberSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Percy,

Thanks for the reply. I took apart the trunk area and do notice that power wires (to the lights anyways) are all grouped with the new speaker wires...after getting 3 opinions on this, I am pretty sure that's the culprit.

Thanks for your help.