Sponsored by:

iPod hook up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-04, 11:47 AM
gavin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod hook up?

Sorry if someone has mentioned this before, but I didn't see anything when searching....

I am interested in hooking my iPod up into my SC300. I was wondering if anyone has found a good way of doing this, or any suggestions. I am not really interested in using the FM transmitter on it; I am looking for a wired solution. I assume there isn’t an aux input on the stock radios so the two options that come to mind is hijacking the input from my CD changer and feeding the audio in, or run it directly into the stock amp (anyone know the type of inputs on the amp?).

Of course I could always just go buy a "real" head unit, but then the car wouldn't appear stock. Although the Turbo kinda has that same effect...

any thoughts would be great

Gavin
Old 07-12-04, 12:15 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you may have better luck posting this in the electronics section.
Old 07-12-04, 02:05 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

I bought the FM transmitter for mine. It sounds alright, but the wires become VERY annoying in short order. I'll be anxious to hear what you find out! Of course the carputer would solve everybody's problem. . .
Old 07-12-04, 02:37 PM
AaronE
Pole Position

Hijack the changer inputs. It's pretty easy to do. I think if you search the net, you'll find the wiring for the connector. It has R+, R-, L+, L- wires which you'll cut, twist the two negatives together, and connect the 3 wires to the iPod's headphone jack.

-Aaron
Old 07-14-04, 10:50 AM
gavin
Driver

I saw mention of a company that had an interface to let you use the stock radio in the car to control the iPod (like skip to the next track and such). But it didnt give a name or a URL. Anyone know if this is possible? (95 sc300)
Old 07-14-04, 11:01 AM
gavin
Driver

I saw mention of a company that had an interface to let you use the stock radio in the car to control the iPod (like skip to the next track and such). But it didnt give a name or a URL. Anyone know if this is possible? (95 sc300)
Old 07-15-04, 11:57 AM
C-Train
Lead Lap

wouldn't it work if you had a tape deck to just use a cd car kit? i hooked it up to my minidisc fine, and it sounded fine. i'm assuming an ipod has normal headphone jacks.
Old 07-15-04, 01:04 PM
gavin
Driver

but where is the "cool" in that?
Old 07-17-04, 05:36 AM
lew_b
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You might want to try this ...

Hi:

I'm going thru the same agita with my new Roady2 XM radio trying to do an install into my IS-300. I don't know what the setup is of your Lex but the 04' IS has a head unit connected to a seperate amp. There is a wiring harness from the HU to the amp. I've gotten instructions on how to do this on another web site. You need to cut into the lines from the HU to the amp and add an input to the amp for the new device (ipod for you). You then either need an A/V audio switch that you feed with RCA plugs from the input devices (HU and ipod) to output to the amp. You can also use a 4PDT relay controlled by a toggle switch to do the switching (a bit cooler I think ).
I have yet to do this as I am still scurrying around looking for the parts. So I can't personally vouch for this.

Any how, here's a link to the nuts and bolts of the deal. It's on another Lexus site, hope the mods here don't mind the reference.
How to add an Aux input
Old 07-17-04, 09:17 AM
gavin
Driver

This might sound silly, but has anyone opened the SC300 radio to see how the tape deck is hooked up? if there was a way to take make the iPod use the "tape" inputs, that would be "super cool". That way I can still use the volume control on the radio, and not loose my CD player in the trunk.
Old 07-17-04, 10:05 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tape deck adapter sounds good with mp3 player.
Old 07-18-04, 07:19 AM
lew_b
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by rgarjr
tape deck adapter sounds good with mp3 player.
Agreed but ....
The tape transport motor(s) are running the entire time that your tape deck adapter is plugged in. If you are a lazy so-snd-so like me, that means all the time. Can't be too good for the player to be running all the time that the car is.

As for hijacking the tape outputs...
I have no idea what the config on the SC is but here's a pdf of the head unit outputs for the IS. As you can see it just outputs left and right to the amp. The radio/tape/CD signal is all combined by the HU ...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
radio (sedan).pdf (32.9 KB, 288 views)
Old 07-18-04, 09:41 PM
GSpeed
Driver

There is this dude that did a real sweet hardwired installation of the iPod on his G35. The job is very clean with no exposed wires. There are also some posts of this being done on other makes on the Message board of this site.

Check out: http://g35ipod.com/
Old 09-23-04, 10:19 PM
mase
Driver School Candidate

hmm that looks like a ton of disassembly, the g35 thing, and most likely it will be quite different than our lexuses. Does anyone know, since we dont have a removable headunit in our stereos (at least I don't in my gs300), how do we access the cd changer wire? I'd like to hook up my ipod instead of the cd changer.
Old 09-24-04, 12:59 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by AaronE
Hijack the changer inputs. It's pretty easy to do. I think if you search the net, you'll find the wiring for the connector. It has R+, R-, L+, L- wires which you'll cut, twist the two negatives together, and connect the 3 wires to the iPod's headphone jack.

-Aaron
Hmmm.... my LS400 didn't have a CD changer, so if I get a radio with CD changer inputs, can I hijack those after I rig a harness?

Quick Reply: iPod hook up?