Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-01 | 01:17 PM
MichaelRex

Getting an RX300 with a navigation system wasn't really an option for me, because the dealers in my area don't usually order them. I travel pretty frequently, and this past weekend I really could have used the navi system. Has anyone added an aftermarket navi system to their RX (or other Lexus)? I was looking at the Alpine units and the seem very nice. I'm just not sure where I'd mount it. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-10-01 | 02:33 AM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

I don't have an RX but I can tell you that the Alpine Nav System is one of the best money can buy!! As far as I know, they are one of the only manufactures that have a DVD BASED navigation system out!! The DVD system holds the ENTIRE COUNTRY on 1 disc and is something like 12x's faster than the old CD based systems.... If your going to buy something, I suggest the Alpine......

Now there's that pesky question of where to put it?!??! HMMMMM........

Justin
Platinum 2G GS4
Old 04-10-01 | 11:21 AM
MichaelRex

I agree that the Alpine is the best unit you can get. In fact, the aftermarket Alpine actually has many more features than the unit Alpine developed for Lexus. I have an idea about mounting it, but it would take a great amount of customization. I was thinking about a "pod" that would sit on the dash, above the information display (on my RX). The Alpine nav display could lay flat (screen down) on the dash when not in use, and it could swivel up when in use. Like I said, this would take a large amount of customization, not to mention excellent build materials to match the material used on the dash. There has to be an easier place/way to mount it!
Old 04-10-01 | 07:21 PM
LX470Mann
Pole Position

I have friends that work at a audio-video store in CT called Tweeters. They showed me pics of a RX300 with Nav integrated into the screen that you already have in your dash but I dont know how they did it. The store that did this install is in Providence R.I. and is called Tweeters. Good Luck!!
Old 04-11-01 | 07:04 AM
MichaelRex

Does this shop have a web site or phone number? I'd like to talk to them, to see how they did it. Thanks!
Old 04-11-01 | 02:17 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

The store Tweeters is a multi store outfit. They got pretty big during the last couple of years since they bought out stores that were formerly United Audio Centers and Douglas TV. Shelly Miller, who was the President of United Audio Centers, is a VP on the board now. He got tired of the business and sold out. The last good thing he did was to purchase entry level Krell products and keeps stock of them.

Best thing to do is to do a search on them. Each store is different, so be sure to check out a portfolio of their work. The guy that does work around the local Tweeter store has been published in a couple of mags but I try not to go to him. The guy has an ego problem...he thinks he's an install God or something. His level of work is good...but not to the point of backing up his ego.

Percy

Originally posted by LX470Mann
I have friends that work at a audio-video store in CT called Tweeters. They showed me pics of a RX300 with Nav integrated into the screen that you already have in your dash but I dont know how they did it. The store that did this install is in Providence R.I. and is called Tweeters. Good Luck!!
Old 04-11-01 | 04:53 PM
LX470Mann
Pole Position

The Tweeter in R.I. that I was talking about is in Warwick. The phone number is 401-821-7600.
Hey Percy, just wondering, where are you from? I had my Lexus system installed at Tweeters in CT and they did an awesome job, but different stores do have different installers.
Old 04-11-01 | 05:19 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Lx470man,

I'm near Chicago, about 35 minutes away. Tweeter is all over the place...too bad they don't carry Dynaudio!

Percy

Originally posted by LX470Mann
The Tweeter in R.I. that I was talking about is in Warwick. The phone number is 401-821-7600.
Hey Percy, just wondering, where are you from? I had my Lexus system installed at Tweeters in CT and they did an awesome job, but different stores do have different installers.
Old 10-30-06 | 09:33 AM
torneil
Driver School Candidate

what about somewhere in the bay area say san francisco
Old 10-31-06 | 08:58 AM
davidsong
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ;43695
As far as I know, they are one of the only manufactures that have a DVD BASED navigation system out!!
Eclipse, Kenwood and other major brands also carry DVD based nav system.

also, alpine cost more then other units. for alpine, you must purchase a lcd monitor and their nav unit. So thats 2x you must purchase. whereas, Kenwood or eclipse just pay one price for two.

Also, Eclipse makes the navigation for our lexus. so if you like the ones Lexus has to offer and can't afford, go w/ eclipse for much cheaper n better.