Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

line level to RCA converter causing distortion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-04, 07:40 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default line level to RCA converter causing distortion?

Okay so i've got a SC3... JL 10IB4 sub in stock location... a cheap pyramid 240watt at 4ohm amp...

i've got the amp connected to the stock sub-amp for power, ground, and remote leads... the line to RCA converter hooked up AFTER the factory sub-amp... so it's an amplified signal (vs. hooking it up inbetween the stock headunit and sub-amp)

the problem: when i turn up the gain on the amp or the RCA converter... the sub sounds nasty like it can't handle it... Now i've got it tuned for the most apart... but I can't turn up the volume or else it'll distort and sound nasty. I'm pretty sure i was able to turn up the volume on the stock pioneer sub without it distorting (it just wasn't very loud).

any suggestions?
Old 07-16-04, 08:21 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds like you're overdriving the sub amp's input stage.
Turn DOWN the gain control on the LLC, if it has one (the Powerlink II has a screw adjustment).
Turn UP your AMP gain (aftermarket sub amp).
Old 07-16-04, 02:13 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea... that's exactly what i'm thinking... i've got the LLC turn as much down as i could b4 it's just silent (like a quarter of a turn) and i turned up the gain on the amp... still sounds distorted... unless it's just the way that sub is? But i doubt it... this JL sub is suppose to be the ***** so...

i'm thinking of tapping the LLC BEFORE the factory sub-amp (a non-amplified signal).. maybe that'll let me turn it up more without it getting distorted...

100-125watts 8 ohms should be perfect for this sub... so i don't think it's the amp (even though its a cheap amp)..
Old 07-19-04, 06:51 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

First, you should check your amp out of the car, on a test bench, or in another setup, just to verify that it is not distorting. If the amp checks out OK, then something else is wrong, and you'll need to check all wiring and any assumptions you made in wiring the system. It should not be distorting unless you're turning it up god-awful loud.
PS: If you tap in before the amp, you won't need an LLC, but beware of system considerations before you attempt this - it has been posted many times that if you have Pioneer stock system, the preamp connections are complex to deal with.