Sponsored by:

Monitor interference and headphone buzz help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-04, 03:52 PM
DVSG3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monitor interference and headphone buzz help needed

Hi friends. I had monitors installed in my headrests with wireless headphones and splitters for seperating the back from the front seats. My question...I am getting interference on the back monitors and a buzz/whine from the speakers and headphones that wasn't there when I just had the nav/dvd playing prior to back monitors installed. I have taken the car back to the shop and they put in a video amplifier and the monitors are brighter and the buzzing decreased...but it is still there and there is still interference on the monitors. What do I do? BTW, I got myself into a little tightspot because I work with the shop owners wife. I don' t want to complain too much. How can I get this resolved by myself or another shop??? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-19-04, 03:02 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You'll need to track down the source of the noise that's getting into the system. You may need better grounding, or some noise filtering added, once you or the installer finds out where the noise is coming from. Sounds to me like you may need someone to independently look at the system, but once you do that, the original installer may not support it any more. A bit of a sticky situation.
Old 07-20-04, 09:52 AM
rjsmetal
Driver School Candidate

Default Interference

You are defiantly geting some interference there, check all your grounds and make sure that the AV interconnects are a high quality and make sure that the are not bundled up with any power leads! You must keep all signal wires as far away from power wires because cars have enough interference the signal cables dont need to be near power sources to pick up more noise! METAL

Not accusing your shop, but at one point I worked at a shop (for a very short time I couldnt handle watching this happen and I would have no part in it!) that only ran High end components where they were seen and ran cheap components where the owner wouldnt likely see them, ie under carpet.
Old 07-20-04, 03:18 PM
DVSG3
Driver

Hey guys. Thanks for all the advice. I will tear into it hopefully by next week. Now I have somewhere to start anyway.