Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Master remote key: can new blank be cut for remote??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-04, 09:47 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Master remote key: can new blank be cut for remote??

I have a '95 SC400. I have the in-key remote. Can the key itself be replaced? I was told by someone that it could and I don't believe them as I've just taken my master HYQWDT-B key apart and it's pretty obvious that the key itself is molded into one half of the remote housing and cannot be removed. Not only that, the transmitter itself is soldered to the key shaft as an antenna.

if what someone told me is true, the only way it could be is if the dealer sells the blank in the housing without the transmitter, then it would also have to be soldered and and then resoldered.
Old 07-20-04, 06:21 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

just buy a new key.
Old 07-20-04, 06:49 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

ok i have a crack in the plastic of my key so i went through the same senario...if your key-less entry works then...you have to get a new key if your keyless entry does not then you can simply replace the plastic around it....i found several keys on sale off of ebay...so with a non-working key the plastic swap will be ok...with a working key you need to get a new one...new key, new chip, and installation. I hope this helps!

CEO
Old 07-20-04, 09:00 AM
sorka
Lead Lap

Originally posted by THE_CEO
ok i have a crack in the plastic of my key so i went through the same senario...if your key-less entry works then...you have to get a new key if your keyless entry does not then you can simply replace the plastic around it....i found several keys on sale off of ebay...so with a non-working key the plastic swap will be ok...with a working key you need to get a new one...new key, new chip, and installation. I hope this helps!

CEO
I'm completely confused by your answer. You make it sound like I'd be better off if my transponder was broken.

At any rate, as far as I know, the '95 SC400 can be reprogrammed and keys added without needing a new chip. There are enough reports of the reprogram sequence working fine on this model and year.

However, I took my key apart last night to see if the key shaft itself could be removed. As far as I can tell, it cannot as one side of the housing is physically molded around the key completely. The transponder antenna lead is soldered to the key shaft.
Old 07-20-04, 10:24 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Originally posted by sorka
I'm completely confused by your answer. You make it sound like I'd be better off if my transponder was broken.

At any rate, as far as I know, the '95 SC400 can be reprogrammed and keys added without needing a new chip. There are enough reports of the reprogram sequence working fine on this model and year.

However, I took my key apart last night to see if the key shaft itself could be removed. As far as I can tell, it cannot as one side of the housing is physically molded around the key completely. The transponder antenna lead is soldered to the key shaft.
your findings are correct....i was just stating that in my case my key-less entry button did not work..there for i took my entire key apart and just replace the plastic...so yes the key is soldered..

and as far as the reprograming...if you get a new key you must get a new chip..you cannot do one with out the other...you see that soldered key has a freq..that only what chip in your car can read..the whole package will cost about 255.00...dealers programing 1/2 hours time!

sorry for the confusion...

CEO
Old 07-20-04, 11:01 AM
sorka
Lead Lap

your findings are correct....i was just stating that in my case my key-less entry button did not work..there for i took my entire key apart and just replace the plastic...so yes the key is soldered..

and as far as the reprograming...if you get a new key you must get a new chip..you cannot do one with out the other...you see that soldered key has a freq..that only what chip in your car can read..the whole package will cost about 255.00...dealers programing 1/2 hours time!

sorry for the confusion...

CEO
How do you take the out of the plastic? On my '95 SC400 key, it the plastic is molded all around the head of the key and it just won't come out. Further more, I don't think there's a keyblank for this either. It looks simliar to the wallet key but the wallet key head is a lot larger.
Old 07-20-04, 11:27 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

How do you take the out of the plastic? On my '95 SC400 key, it the plastic is molded all around the head of the key and it just won't come out. Further more, I don't think there's a keyblank for this either. It looks simliar to the wallet key but the wallet key head is a lot larger.
ah ha...see i have the 1993 OEM key...i believe that the keys we are talking about are different...you have a 95 with the button integrated on the back i have the one where the key button is put on the side....is that correct..?

CEO
Old 07-20-04, 12:02 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

here is a quick pic of the key i have...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=126943

CEO
Old 07-20-04, 12:27 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

here is a quick pic of the key i have...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=126943

CEO
No, mine is identical to yours. It is the same key. Maybe even the same FCC id: HYQWDT-B

Are you saying you can remove the key instelf from the housing???? I couldn't do this and it was pretty obvious that the key housing is molded around the metal head of the key itself.
Old 07-20-04, 04:42 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

No, mine is identical to yours. It is the same key. Maybe even the same FCC id: HYQWDT-B

Are you saying you can remove the key instelf from the housing???? I couldn't do this and it was pretty obvious that the key housing is molded around the metal head of the key itself.
um no mine is : FCC id: HYQ1512A...this could be the reason..

CEO
Old 07-20-04, 05:06 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

um no mine is : FCC id: HYQ1512A...this could be the reason..

CEO
That means nothing. There were a dozen different FCC ids for the same key.

The point is that I can see from the picture you showed me that your key does not come out of your key housing. It's identical to mine in that respect.
Old 07-20-04, 08:00 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

ok maybe i have a different key... but i am able to take the metal key out of the plastic...it is exactly the same key that i have in my black key holder card...it fits into the slot and screws in accordingly...last i took mine apart...

CEO

Last edited by THE_CEO; 07-20-04 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-20-04, 09:03 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

ok maybe i have a different key... but i am able to take the metal key out of the plastic...it is exactly the same key that i have in my black key holder card...it fits into the slot and screws in accordingly...last i took mine apart...

CEO
Hmm. I'll bet it's the same key and I'll also bet that you think the key comes out. That's what I thought at first too as the part of the head you can see has a similar shape to the card key, but I figured out last night that it isn't.

Do you know you're key comes out? Did unsolder the transmitter antenna lead that is soldered to the key itself?
Old 07-21-04, 05:37 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Hmm. I'll bet it's the same key and I'll also bet that you think the key comes out. That's what I thought at first too as the part of the head you can see has a similar shape to the card key, but I figured out last night that it isn't.

Do you know you're key comes out? Did unsolder the transmitter antenna lead that is soldered to the key itself?
when i first got the key the transmitter wasnt working...i changed the battery nothing, so i took the whole thing apart pried the plastic and looked for some kind of mold or rust...that was how i found out that the key will come out...
Old 07-21-04, 05:39 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

i would show you pics of my key but i cant get the main screw loose now it seem to be stuck and i dont have a philliphs screwdriver that small to take the main screw out...sorry

CEO

Quick Reply: Master remote key: can new blank be cut for remote??