Sponsored by:

Speaker upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-04, 01:06 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker upgrade?

Any advice on whether sound quality in the SC400 audio systme can be acheived merely by replacing the stock speakers with better quality components? Would like to use stock locations and only undertake replacement of the speakers not the electronic components. Do you think the cost/effort involved is in excess of any potential improvement? Car is 1992 SC 400 with tthe Premium (NOT Nakamichi) system. Has the 10" sub in the center of the rear package tray that comes with the 12 disc changer in the trunk. 7 speakers total and 175 Watts as I recall. Any value in this approach or simply a waste of time and money? What do all you experts think?
Old 07-25-04, 12:29 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Pretty much any speaker upgrade (aftermarket) will waste the stock speakers. Well worth the effort and investment in time/money.

Percy
Old 07-25-04, 08:57 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Percy,

Any specific reccommendations as to brand, model #, size, ohms resistance which can be readily substuted for the stock speakers with minimal modification to the car and maintain stock appearance? Do you advise replacing every speaker in the stock system or are any pairs worth retaining? Thanks for your insight.
Old 07-25-04, 09:13 PM
Percy

Don't know what will fit in the SC, but Dynaudio components are BY FAR my favorite speakers. That's if you want a no holds barred accuracy in sound from a speaker.

http://www.dynaudiona.com

Give one of the SC guys a shout...they'll be able to help you on this.

Percy
Old 07-25-04, 11:54 PM
mikee72
Driver School Candidate

Det, check out RST's FAQ here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=109384

Percy, in a related question, since the stock Premium amp is set up with a fairly hi cutoff on the hi-pass crossover setting for the stock 4's, will a larger speaker be able to play any lower without going to an aftermarket amp? The biggest problem with the SC Premium system IMHO, is lack of lower midrange. The stock 4's/single 10" don't work seamlessly together, and tend to produce a harsh "tinny" sound that results in a very peaky hi range. I'd like to go with 6 1/2's like RST did in the FAQ, but it looks like a lot of trouble for nothing if the stock hi-pass only goes down to ~150 Hz.

Anyone?
Old 07-26-04, 07:37 AM
Percy

The 2nd gen GS has a similar situation. Crossover point seems to be at about 100hz, give or take a few. The larger Dyns make QUITE a difference in the midbass, so I'd say that the larger speaker size is worth it.

A simple speaker swapout in the GS (pioneer) was enough to give the Mark Levinson system a run for it's money. VERY close, and that's without any aftermarket amps/hu installed. BTW ... I a/b'd compared the ML system in the LS430 versus my speaker swapout in the GS. Manager at the local Lexus dealership listened to it and was VERY impressed that it was only a speaker swapout.

Percy
Old 07-27-04, 06:41 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Default Speaker swapout?

Percy,

Can you provide the specifics on that speaker swapout to which you referred? Dynaudio presumably?
Old 07-27-04, 09:10 PM
Percy

Swapped out the stock 4 inch rounds for Dynaudio MW 160's. Tweets are MD100's that have been removed from their casing to fit into the stock A pillar locations. You'll need to make a custom baffle (not a FOAM one!) to make the speaker fit as well as a 1/2 inch thick spacer ring. At least that's how it is for the 2nd gen GS. Well worth the time and effort!

Percy
Old 07-28-04, 04:13 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed. You're guaranteed to get better SQ with a speaker swapout to Dyn's or similar quality, even if the crossover for the fronts is set high in the factory amp. If you want to change crossover freqs, or play with these kinds of parameters, now you're talking about more extensive system changes, which may also be worth it, depending upon how much of a fanatic you are.
Old 07-28-04, 05:59 PM
Samchu329
Pole Position

Smile

Hi,
I wanna upgrade the speakers for my GS, and don't know how you think of "Alpine SPS-170A" ?
Will there be a big difference? Thanks
Old 07-29-04, 07:01 AM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

boston acoustic pro series. nuff said
Old 07-29-04, 07:49 AM
mikee72
Driver School Candidate

Interesting that there doesn't seem to be many a/d/s fans here. I haven't heard Dynaudio or Boston, but nothing else I've heard so far seems to match the realism that a/d/s is so famous for.
Old 07-29-04, 08:16 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I love a/d/s, but haven't actually installed their speakers in any car, past or present. My main home speakers are 1980's-era a/d/s, and I won't trade them for anything. However, a/d/s has become harder to get, probably only thru their dealer network and not discounted, so you see less of it being installed. The company was purchased by Directed Electronics a couple of years ago, and some will claim that it isn't the same anymore and will give in to mass marketing. There are certainly other good choices, especially in their price range. I've found Dynaudio to be at least as good, sounding somewhat different, and very accurate. Focal is excellent as well, in that price range, but I like the a/d/s tweeters better. Although Boston is very good, I have not found them to be quite at the a/d/s or Dyn level. (I've been running both old and new (upgraded to Pro) Bostons in my Supra since 1988). I haven't heard a/d/s subs, but those that have them say they're awesome (for SQ), and I don't doubt that a bit.
I do have an a/d/s 4-channel amp in the Supra that has run day-in and day-out (often being powered up/down 10 times a day) without even a blink - since 1988. Great sounding amp, absolutely bulletproof.

Try giving Dynaudio a listen if you get a chance. If you like a/d/s, you should be pleasantly surprised.
Old 07-29-04, 10:30 AM
Percy

Had a set of ads 325im in my older install. They're a very nice sounding speaker, although a bit on the "warm" side. If I didn't listen to the dyns with female vocals and piano music, I would have been very very happy with the ads.

If I had to put a number on the quality, Dyns would be the reference "10". ads would be around 7 to 8. ads does have one heck of a nice crossover...imo better than MBQ.

Percy
Old 07-29-04, 11:51 AM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a/d/s rocks old school, just like soundstream. soundstream's speakers have always sucked, but i have never seen a more impressive line up of amps.

Quick Reply: Speaker upgrade?