Sponsored by:

Stock HU w/ Aftermarket amp+Sub

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-04, 12:56 PM
MrJohnE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Stock HU w/ Aftermarket amp+Sub

ok, this may also be a repeat but... ive done a lot of searching on the forum and i cant seem to find a diagram to explain exactly how you do this... from what i have read i have created a diagram of what i interpret to be the correct way to install an aftermarket sub+amp to a stock HU... Please correct me if i am wrong... i am also unsure about wires, hence i have not done this yet... i want to see how hard it was to do this before actually carrying out the steps...

Here is a pic...

Thanks - John
Attached Thumbnails Stock HU w/ Aftermarket amp+Sub-is3stocksublayout.jpg  
Old 07-25-04, 06:46 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You're only connecting ONE sub, right? In that case, you're making it a bit tougher than it has to be.

The amp power/remote wires are correct. The signal just needs to be tapped near the subwoofer, then fed to the LLC, then to the amp. Output of the amp then goes to the sub. All you really need to do is to use one channel of the LLC.

Percy
Old 07-25-04, 07:38 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have u read my post? most of the info should be there that you need
Old 07-25-04, 07:43 PM
MrJohnE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Percy
You're only connecting ONE sub, right? In that case, you're making it a bit tougher than it has to be.

The amp power/remote wires are correct. The signal just needs to be tapped near the subwoofer, then fed to the LLC, then to the amp. Output of the amp then goes to the sub. All you really need to do is to use one channel of the LLC.

Percy
hmm so are you saying i just have to tap one of the speakers instead of both?? ++ also i just read your thread about installing in a SC... it's the same thing for me?? you installed your sub in place of your stock sub... i have stacked rear speakers...

Last edited by MrJohnE; 07-25-04 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-25-04, 09:16 PM
Percy

Even easier...just tap off the wires going to your sub. Literally just disconnect the wires that are currently on your sub right now and then feed them to an LLC. From there on, outputs of the LLC go into the amp, then the outputs of the amp go to the sub.

As for the sub size and installation, you'll have to ask one of the SC members. I have a 2nd gen GS.

Percy
Old 07-26-04, 10:25 AM
MrJohnE
Lexus Test Driver

blah you guys are confusing me even more! i have an IS300, not an SC or GS... My stock 8-Piece 240 watt OEM system has sub's? if so i cant see em!?!? ive only read that i have stacked rear speakers... so what exactly am i suppose to do... tap one of the rear speakers to the LLC?? and as for the remote wire... i can run it to the pink line that goes to the cigarette lighter?
Old 07-26-04, 05:20 PM
Percy

Just tap off the rear speakers. You'll do fine. As for the remote wire, no idea on that one since I haven't torn apart an IS.

Percy
Old 07-27-04, 12:26 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by badxIS300
blah you guys are confusing me even more! i have an IS300, not an SC or GS... My stock 8-Piece 240 watt OEM system has sub's? if so i cant see em!?!? ive only read that i have stacked rear speakers... so what exactly am i suppose to do... tap one of the rear speakers to the LLC?? and as for the remote wire... i can run it to the pink line that goes to the cigarette lighter?
i have the sportcross which has a factory sub. i tapped off the sub wires and used a line converter to connect to my mono amp for the sub. sounds great!

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-...ps.html?page=4
Old 07-27-04, 12:32 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

the is300 sedan comes with 8 speakers. i don't think it has a factory sub.

my sportcross has 9 speakers. the 9th speaker is the sub.

you can tap off one of the rear speakers and use a line converter to connect to your amp.

The SportCross features the same in-dash, single-feed, six-disc CD auto-changer and 240 watts of maximum power as its IS counterparts, with one additional surprise: a woofer mounted in the rear cargo area, bringing the speaker count to nine.
http://www.lexus.com/models/is/sportcross_interior.html

Last edited by darden; 07-27-04 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-27-04, 11:14 AM
MrJohnE
Lexus Test Driver

Default Scosche

i bought the Scosche FAI-3 OEM Interface Adapter... i think this was the thing i needed correct??? well it will work is what im trying to say i guess

Scosche FAI-3A:
http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOFAI3
Old 07-27-04, 01:45 PM
darden
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Scosche

Originally posted by badxIS300
i bought the Scosche FAI-3 OEM Interface Adapter... i think this was the thing i needed correct??? well it will work is what im trying to say i guess

Scosche FAI-3A:
http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOFAI3
yep, it should work.

The Scosche FAI-3A is for use with factory Premium Sound, JBL, Mach Audio, and Bose systems. Can also be used as a common ground adaptor or universal speaker-to-line level convertor, such as when adding a subwoofer to factory systems.
Old 07-28-04, 10:40 AM
NoS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Percy
Even easier...just tap off the wires going to your sub. Literally just disconnect the wires that are currently on your sub right now and then feed them to an LLC. From there on, outputs of the LLC go into the amp, then the outputs of the amp go to the sub.

As for the sub size and installation, you'll have to ask one of the SC members. I have a 2nd gen GS.

Percy
That is what I am going to try for my 98 GS 300. I have a 180 Watt Amp and a Boxed 10" Sony Subwoofer and also want to do a simple swap...

Old Sub - Remove 2 Wires
|
|
v
Run 2 Wires into LLC
|
|
v
Power line to battery ---> LLC To Amp <--- Ground
|
|
v