Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Help! I'm getting zero volume from my stock radio!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-04 | 02:19 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

For Nakamichi, behind your glovebox, you'll find the CD changer and its connectors. Anything else that appears to be a box with connectors is not related to the sound system, it is either engine control or VSC, etc. Your dealer will have the wiring diagrams in the shop manual. You might want to ask them to copy out those pages for you if they're willing.
Also check here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...400+Schematics
Old 09-16-04 | 08:58 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the heads up engin_ear...

I had a buddy of mine talk to another mechanic today who thinks it could be my antenna that needs to be replaced or something like that. I think he was confused because I told him that i don't get any sound from my radio...

Anyway, this one mechanic is supposed to be able to work wonders, so we'll see what happens when I see him early next week.

As for now, the radio started working today at 5 p.m. and is still working, haha.

If anyone's got more suggestions, please feel free to contribute! Thanks everyone!
Old 09-21-04 | 09:05 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, so my mechanic today wasn't able to look things through since he didn't have the wiring diagrams...does anyone have access to these so that I could print them out for him, please?

I'm getting really tired about this....maybe I'll just switch out the headunit, add some subs and be done with it...what do ya'll think?

As for right now, I'm still trying to remain loyal to my stock Nakamichi system....
Old 09-22-04 | 11:45 AM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

UPDATE: So it's been sunny the past couple o' days with no moisture at all...today my radio didn't work for about 10 minutes. So maybe it's not the rain?

The only last thing I can think of is swapping out the amp in the trunk to see if that's it...ugh.
Old 09-22-04 | 12:03 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Swapping out the factory amp in trunk is extremely easy for a dealer to do, but then you'll have to live with it for a while. If you're under warranty, they should be able to just give you a new one.
Old 09-22-04 | 03:17 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by engin_ear
Swapping out the factory amp in trunk is extremely easy for a dealer to do, but then you'll have to live with it for a while. If you're under warranty, they should be able to just give you a new one.
What's the warranty on electronics for a 98 GS400?
Old 10-04-04 | 09:51 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Yeap, it looks like it's time to switch everything out.....

Now, the radio doesn't work even if it's NOT raining, but turns on like 10-15 minutes after I've been driving...

I've been trying to shy away from any type of system for as long as possible since it always seems that's what people go for when breaking into cars. I guess I'm almost left with no choice...

Anyone have a final diagnosis?
Old 10-04-04 | 10:31 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

if the problem is the altermator output putting in an aftermarket system will get the same result. you can replace the nak amp with a good used nak amp for around 200.00. your factorey warranty is over. after 4 years unless an extended was bought. the nak system is surely better if fixed than any 200.00 aftermarket cd player from best buy. if your system isnt having electrical problems it will after taking it to a stereo discounter. if your dealer cant even find the wiring diagram dont expecxt best buy to be able to find one.
Old 10-05-04 | 05:29 AM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lexusaudio
if the problem is the altermator output putting in an aftermarket system will get the same result. you can replace the nak amp with a good used nak amp for around 200.00. your factorey warranty is over. after 4 years unless an extended was bought. the nak system is surely better if fixed than any 200.00 aftermarket cd player from best buy. if your system isnt having electrical problems it will after taking it to a stereo discounter. if your dealer cant even find the wiring diagram dont expecxt best buy to be able to find one.
If I switch out the system, it won't be for a $200 CD player, but it won't be a show car system.

Do you think it's the amp?
Old 10-05-04 | 08:17 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, so I saw on eBay that there's an amp for the tweeters FOUND HERE

So, hypothetically, if the problem comes from the amp in the trunk, wouldn't the tweeter amp still play out? This auction is for an amp from a 2000 GS, which is still the same body style, so I'm assuming that it's the same for my 1998 GS400.

Any thoughts on that?
Old 10-06-04 | 07:11 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

I've never seen that amp before - it does NOT resemble anything that was in my 1999 GS400 w/Nak, so it would not be in your 1998 GS400, and your assumption is not correct, sorry. Maybe someone can tell us whether they've seen that amp before. "Tweeter amp" sounds pretty strange to me, I'm really leery as to what that unit actually is.