Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Help! I'm getting zero volume from my stock radio!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-04 | 04:01 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Default Help! I'm getting zero volume from my stock radio!

So everything in my car was working fine last night. Today, when I get in the car, I turn on the radio. The display is on and showing that it has a signal and the display is fine, but I'm getting zero sound. I mean, there is no static or anything.

The CD changer shows that a cd is playing, but I still get zero sound.

If this is even related (since they're close together in proximity), my A/C still works.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is it time for a new radio? Or can this one be fixed?

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-27-04 | 04:24 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Sounds more like a problem with the amp. Either the wiring connecting the headunit/ amp or the fuse for the amp.
Old 07-28-04 | 06:37 AM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Sounds more like a problem with the amp. Either the wiring connecting the headunit/ amp or the fuse for the amp.
Dave, where would I find the fuse for the amp? I've looked and felt all over and can't find the fuse like most amps have externally.

Do I have to physically remove the amp and then open it up?
Old 07-28-04 | 06:44 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by kevs
Dave, where would I find the fuse for the amp? I've looked and felt all over and can't find the fuse like most amps have externally.

Do I have to physically remove the amp and then open it up?
I don't think so... I believe it's the same one you've been talking about in the other thread in the GS forum (or at least in the same location). I can't say for sure which one it is though. There is a little 'map' of the fuses on the inside of the fuse box cover that may or may not be helpful.
Old 07-28-04 | 07:00 AM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, okay then. I know that the manual maps out two different fuses. I checked them both out and they still have the complete circuit. It doesn't even look like it's close to frying or breaking...

Could it really be that my amp has gone bad? If so, that really upsets me because I've been in a 94 LS400 with 211K miles and the radio still works perfectly...
Old 07-28-04 | 04:06 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Does sound like an amp problem. Get any water in your car during our recent east coast rains? Maybe a short developed?
Old 07-28-04 | 09:41 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, so it didn't work all day today either and then, all of a sudden, it works again! I'm all freaked out now that if I touch the radio, it'll short out again or something...

Could it have had something to do with the weather? Something to make the circuits act funny? It didn't work BEFORE it rained the day it "broke", so I'm not sure...

I have no idea as I'm no expert in the audio field...

Anyway, I'll keep ya'll posted...

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Old 07-29-04 | 07:06 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

You're just going to have to keep an eye on it for a while, unfortunately. You may have a loose connection, either externally (maybe a connector has come loose?), or internally (harder to fix). Try wiggling the connectors at your amp if it goes out again.
Old 08-15-04 | 09:13 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by engin_ear
You're just going to have to keep an eye on it for a while, unfortunately. You may have a loose connection, either externally (maybe a connector has come loose?), or internally (harder to fix). Try wiggling the connectors at your amp if it goes out again.
UPDATE: The funny thing is that, now when it rains, it doesn't work. But, I'm 110% positive there is no leak ANYWHERE within my car. The radio always works again a little after 24 hours has passed after the rain.

The only thing I can think of is that the day before it stopped working for the first time, I had my engine cleaned at my regular mechanice (who does good work) and didn't notice them doing anything different. I'm always there to watch as they work on my car. Could this be anything?

Other than that, my normal habits did not change and I normally do not put anything "major" in my trunk by the amp.

All fuses are clean.

Thanks for the continued help!
(I'm also going to update my post in the GS section)
Old 08-16-04 | 08:48 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Sounds like you may have a moisture-induced short. I'd leave all the car windows, hood, and trunk open out in the hot sun and let it bake for a while, see if you can get any residual moisture to vaporize.
Old 08-16-04 | 08:54 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like you may have a moisture-induced short. I'd leave all the car windows, hood, and trunk open out in the hot sun and let it bake for a while, see if you can get any residual moisture to vaporize.
That's a good suggestion, too, engin_ear...I'll be doing that in the morning through the whole day.

Yeah, I got a good suggestion that it might be my old telephone line in the car and that the mute wire has shorted, but I tried some stuff today and it still didn't work.

It always comes on after a day or so after rain. Man, I hope this fixes....

Thanks for the continued help!
Old 09-11-04 | 10:26 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, so I've lost sound again and this time it was after I had washed my car. The thing is that I am 100% I don't have moisture anywhere. Might it just be the amp?

I'm so tempted to just take out the head unit and put something new in....

Any other ideas?

(P.S.-I just posted this in the GS forums, too. Just trying to get as much help as possible )
Old 09-15-04 | 08:44 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

UPDATE:

My buddy and I pulled out the mobile phone wire, which I thought did the trick since it drizzled the other night and it worked.

Today, it rained all day....I get in my car....the radio does not work.

I'm am completely frustrated. Here's what I've done so far to check for problems:

1. I've checked the engine bay..no leaks or moisture.
2. I've taken out the back seat to look for the mute wire for my phone....no leak or moisture.
3. I've checked all my fuses related to this system...all in good working order.
4. I've taken out the mobile phone wire to completely disable the system....still didn't work tonight.
5. I've taken out the glovebox and checked that amp for moisture.....no moisture anywhere.
6. I've checked my trunk where the amp is for mositure....no moisture anywhere.
7. I've checked the connections to my amps...all very well intact.
8. I've checked my battery connections to make sure it wasn't loose....it's on very tight.

Please help, ClubLexus family!

Thanks for the continued support/help!

BTW: I've got the stock Nakamichi system on a 98 GS400.

Last edited by kevs; 09-15-04 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-16-04 | 07:43 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Just a question: If you have the stock GS Nakamichi system, for '98 I don't think there IS an amp behind the glovebox, it is in the trunk on the right side. So what were you checking in #5 ? You may actually have the stock PIONEER system, not the Nak upgrade.
Other than that, it seems obvious that the rain/moisture has something to do with it. Just because you haven't visibly found moisture, that doesn't mean that it isn't appearing somewhere. It could be internal to any of the components, or can be within one of the connectors. Could be condensation, not due to leakage. Might be time to get out a voltmeter and check voltages on the connectors to anything that's dead (headunit, amp, etc.) You'll need schematics.
Old 09-16-04 | 10:30 AM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Just a question: If you have the stock GS Nakamichi system, for '98 I don't think there IS an amp behind the glovebox, it is in the trunk on the right side. So what were you checking in #5 ? You may actually have the stock PIONEER system, not the Nak upgrade.
Other than that, it seems obvious that the rain/moisture has something to do with it. Just because you haven't visibly found moisture, that doesn't mean that it isn't appearing somewhere. It could be internal to any of the components, or can be within one of the connectors. Could be condensation, not due to leakage. Might be time to get out a voltmeter and check voltages on the connectors to anything that's dead (headunit, amp, etc.) You'll need schematics.
When I took off the glovebox, I saw some plugs that looked like it was going into an amp of some sort, but maybe it wasn't (I'm not the most technically savvy ). But I'm positive it's Nakamichi because it says Nakamichi on my head unit.

I'm bringing in my GS for it's 80K service tomorrow to a new mechanic and will bring it up to him and hope that he can find the remedy.

Is there someplace I could print out wiring schematics for the GS that would be relevant to the sound system?

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Help! I'm getting zero volume from my stock radio!