Sponsored by:

Navigation Swap Question...NAv into a GS400 without NAV

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-04, 03:31 AM
GS408
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Swap Question...NAv into a GS400 without NAV

Can anyone tell me if this is possible....

I have a 98 GS400 with a stock nakimichi sound system. I really want to put a navigation system in it.

Theres another person with a 99 GS400 with a stock navigation system who is willing to sell it to me.

Is it possible to take that navigation system and install it in my ride? If so, what would I need to remove beside the obvious Navigation screen panel....Do I need some special wiring to would it be direct connect?

If any knows or knows who could tell me i would appreciate it....

thanks
Old 07-31-04, 07:29 AM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

its probably not possible to do . the nav system requires the car to have pioneer audio system with cd changer to swap out easily. your wiring harness will support the nav computer in the trunk in place of the nakamichi amp. but the nav system car has pioneer amp behind the gloebox which you would need but no wiring is in your car for the pioneer amp. you really needed the pioneer system with cd changer to make the swap easy. nakamichi and nav system arnt possible at the same time. even new your car could not be ordered with nav and nakamichi due to wiring harness only supoorts one or the other and doesnt support you switching to pioneer audio system either. so the only way the swap works well without switching the entire wiring harness of each car is if both cars have pioneer system with cd changer. by the way a 1998 gs pioneer system ordered without cd changer doesnt even have wiring for the cd changer much less nav or nakamichi. so there were 4 different wiring harnesses available in 1998 gs. navigation with pioneer audio was one or nakamichi audio was second. , pioneer with cd changer was the third and pioneer without cd changer was the fourth. .
Old 07-31-04, 12:54 PM
GS408
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey thanks for all the info.it was alot of help.....i guess i will have to buy one of those after marker dvd-navigation units after all.
Old 08-04-04, 10:55 PM
electro992
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It's possible.

Check out this site:

http://lexusmodz.netfirms.com/

It has directions for installing an OEM Nav system on a non-nav GS.
Old 08-05-04, 04:19 AM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i checked out the bananags website and now agree that you could switch to nav system even with the nakamichi system but you would also need to replace the nak amp back to pioneer amp system. all that is possible to do and also you would have to change nakamichi system cd changer back to pioneer system changer . so it is possible to install the nav system in the nakamichi car but you would need to swap out the nak audio system with a pioneer audio system which also requires a different wiring harness to be made just like the nak harness has to be made. so that would require a lot of wiring harness changes to switch from nakamichi to nav but it is possible.............................................................................................. the easiset switch is from pioneer cd changer system to navigation system which requires only splicing 4 wires.... 12v+, acc, ground and speed sensor. ............................................................. many sc owners have made the switch from pioneer audio system to nakamichi audio system which requires 5 splices so the nav unit switch is actually easier when you are supplied with the navigation wiring harness than the nakamichi audio switch if splicing is the key. aftermarket audio or navigation switches require 20 to thirty splices so the factory switches of audio system upgrade or navigation system upgrades are still easier to do than aftermarket upgrade. also the factory upgrade increase value of car now and into the future when car collectors only value original oem equipment accesories.
Old 08-05-04, 12:55 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is also this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=128954

Pretty much plug-and-play. Enjoy!