Sponsored by:

Pros and/or cons of same amp & speaker company

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-04, 09:38 AM
eDiddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros and/or cons of same amp & speaker company

I would like to hear the opinions of the forum on the pros and/or cons of sticking with the same speaker and amp manufacturer.

I've starting looking for some new speakers and an amp for my '99 LS400. I've been to two places so far and both have surprisingly suggested Diamond Audio speakers (Hex components for the front and CM3's for the rear). Their amp suggestions differed, but I think that was mainly driven by what they’re selling.

One shop proposed a MTX 895 Thunder Amp, while the 2nd shop proposed a Diamond Audio D5 600 amp. The guy at the second shop really liked the MTX amps, but he didn't carry them, and because clarity was a priority of mine he thought the Diamond would be a better choice.

But the suggestion of the Diamond Audio amp got me to wondering if there were any advantages and/or disadvantages of sticking with the same company?

- Elliott
Old 08-01-04, 06:33 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Most companies will do some things well, but not all. The speaker choice is a good one, but to pair it up with an MTX amp? That sounds more like sales numbers than anything else.

Percy
Old 08-02-04, 08:17 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Percy, what about JL Subs and Slash series amps?
Old 08-02-04, 08:36 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

imo, they're about the middle of the road in terms of sq. Haven't listened to one of their amps, but it doesn't strike me as an extreme high end product. Still, they're good if your system goals call for them.

Percy
Old 08-03-04, 01:59 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As far as amp/speaker combinations go, the only correlation is that the better the company, then generally the better the amp AND speakers. There is NO requirement to match amp and speakers. If the amp is a well-designed, low-output-impedance amp, and is of robust quality, it will be able to drive anything well. A good amp is a good amp, and is designed to handle a variety of dynamic loads. If anyone tells you the amp and speakers need to be matched as far as manufacturer, then there is a shortcoming in the amp that is accounted for in the matching. What does need to be matched is the amp's power output vs the speaker's power handling, so that you have enough power to get good clean sound without overdriving and distortion and frying.
Diamond, PPI, Orion, Xtant, Zapco, JL (etc.) all make good amps that you can use.
I own two JL amps - 300/4 and 500/1 - they are excellent, especially for the price. Well made, excellent SQ, low noise. They are not an 'extreme high end product', but that level (Brax, McIntosh) is much more expensive, and unless your ear is supremely tuned, you won't hear a difference.
JL subwoofers range from boomy and loose (the W0) to excellent (the W6-v2 and W7). Depends on the music you listen to, your taste, and your wallet. Just note that the bigger and better your sub(s), the more high quality juice you'll need to drive it (them), and electrical system as well.
Old 08-03-04, 02:28 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not to go OT or anything... but i figured you guys would have an answer to my question...

i have a JBL 600.1 monoblock amp... is this a good sub for my jl 10ib4?

i'm looking for power and SQ
Old 08-03-04, 03:09 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Quick answer: I don't see any reason it wouldn't be fine. Should be plenty of power. JBL amps are reasonable quality and good price/performance, from what I can tell.
Old 08-04-04, 12:05 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

thank you

i'm now comforted with my audio decisions
Old 08-04-04, 01:52 AM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Originally posted by ummagawd
not to go OT or anything... but i figured you guys would have an answer to my question...

i have a JBL 600.1 monoblock amp... is this a good sub for my jl 10ib4?

i'm looking for power and SQ
300 watts is a bit much for the 10IB4, you'll probably have your gains waaay down as they are rated for up to 100watts @ 8ohms.
Old 08-04-04, 01:09 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

yep... i think it's better have more than you need though.... my previous amp is rated at 240... and it sucked