Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oops!

Thanks Ray
Old 08-17-04, 02:00 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like the sub fits in there pretty dern well. Glad it turned out well for you, represents a good overall solution for those that don't want to get too crazy....
Old 08-18-04, 05:58 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
It does look very nice and clean. I likes.

One question tho... Does the GS have rear deck speakers?

If so, does this now more powerful sub want to just blow them apart when it hits them with its pressure wave?

At the least wouldn't the rear speakers distort badly?

The SC has deck speakers so I'm wondering if this is a good idea to try versus putting a sealed enclosure setup in it.

Thoughts?
Old 08-18-04, 03:54 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Hi Jose, I hope Ray doesn't mind me answering this question (???).

The GS's rear speakers are in the rear doors. The rear baffle only holds the sub. It's a pretty good sized hole too, in case you decide you want to add speakers in the trunk.
Old 08-18-04, 04:47 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Hey D:

So for the SC this isn't such a good idea then? We have 4" speakers in the rear deck. but also have a 10" free air sub in the center. I was trying to see if this type of upgrade (free air) was a good idea in the SC. It's easier and lighter than a box setup while providing more space. But if it will fight my rears is it worth it?

I spent 3 hours today reading old threads regarding this and there's both camps so no definitive answer.

Any thoughts?

</threadjack> Sorry lol.
Old 08-18-04, 04:47 PM
kola
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice clean setup. so what make you choose this sub instead of other air free sub? i saw like a few other 10" ones on crutchfield. i will do this upgrade also in the future but still not sure which sub to pick or i should just move up to a 12" sub but more diy work. thanks
Old 08-22-04, 07:08 PM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Great Write up, I'm thinking about doing something like this...could you tell me the exact parts please
Old 07-06-06, 08:19 AM
minla007
Pole Position

Darius and RayGS...

I am thinking about going w/ the kicker c10-4ohm vs. the JL ib4 too.....i am prob going to do the install myself...was wondering if your rear deck rattles alot or not?

also what kind of sealant did they use and where can i get it? Was thinking about using a wood mounting plate but I duno if that will serve its purpose from preventing rattles...

i know this post is old, but i just bought my gs4 a few weeks ago and i already blew the sub! doh!

please advise...Thanks!
Old 07-06-06, 09:06 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by minla007
Darius and RayGS...

I am thinking about going w/ the kicker c10-4ohm vs. the JL ib4 too.....i am prob going to do the install myself...was wondering if your rear deck rattles alot or not?

also what kind of sealant did they use and where can i get it? Was thinking about using a wood mounting plate but I duno if that will serve its purpose from preventing rattles...

i know this post is old, but i just bought my gs4 a few weeks ago and i already blew the sub! doh!

please advise...Thanks!
Hey Minla,

Yes, the rear deck does rattle. .I was able to fix the rattling by inserting foam spacers between the rear deck and the piece that holds the brake light.

There is also some vibration with the brake light hitting the rear window glass. I fixed that rattle with silicone squares. I'll take photos when I go out to the car.

//
Old 07-06-06, 10:23 AM
minla007
Pole Position

Thanks Darius...pix would be much appreciated...i am kind of a newbie myself....but def want to learn.....

So here is my current setup:

- sony headunit
- 2 rockford amps (300x & 400s) - I'm not sure which amp is powering the sub, is there a quick way I can find out?
- 4 stock door panel speakers & 1 dead stock sub

I have heard that the mounting holes in the kicker c10 do not line up correctly w/ the stock holes....will I need to drill new holes?

anybody got a pic of RMMGS4's wood mounting plate?
Old 07-06-06, 10:42 AM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

I like that alot.
Old 07-06-06, 10:43 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by minla007
Thanks Darius...pix would be much appreciated...i am kind of a newbie myself....but def want to learn.....

So here is my current setup:

- sony headunit
- 2 rockford amps (300x & 400s) - I'm not sure which amp is powering the sub, is there a quick way I can find out?
- 4 stock door panel speakers & 1 dead stock sub

I have heard that the mounting holes in the kicker c10 do not line up correctly w/ the stock holes....will I need to drill new holes?

anybody got a pic of RMMGS4's wood mounting plate?
Minla,

There are a few ways to find out which is powering the sub. The easiest way would be to remove the power (remote turn on wire).

You could see if the wires running from the sub are the same gauge and color as the ones running to the amp.

Check the class of the amp. I'm not familiar with those but they should say CLASS D for the sub and CLASS A/B for the multichannel. Plus the sub will only have one or two inputs / channels
Old 07-06-06, 11:14 AM
minla007
Pole Position

I found this site:

http://www.audioonlineoutlet.com/rockcont.html

According to the site the

RF 300X - is multi-channel
RF 400x - 2 channel

I guess I'll go play around with it tonight to find out exactly which amp is powering the sub vs. the door panel speakers....i just hope i dont shock myself! hahaha
Old 07-14-06, 04:14 PM
minla007
Pole Position

do you know what kind of sealant they used to seal the sub to the deck? i tink i might take this approach instead of building a wooden baffle....i duno

Quick Reply: Stock sub upgrade DONE!