Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Replacing Pioneer speakers with Nakamichi speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-04, 06:23 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Replacing Pioneer speakers with Nakamichi speakers?

Does anyone know whether it's possible to swap out the stock Pioneer speakers for stock Nakamichi speakers? Is the wiring basically the same? I have the opportunity to buy a set (front and rear doors) pretty cheap, but I don't know if it's worth the change. Thanks.
Old 08-08-04, 08:38 PM
mikee72
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

E-man, from what I've read, all Nak mids for Lexus are 4 ohms, and if the GS is like the SC, the stockers are are also 4 ohms. Also, from what I've read, most GS owners say that the Nak system isn't worth it for your car, and would probably suggest aftermarket speakers instead. I guess it would depend on how cheap "cheap" is?
Old 08-08-04, 09:20 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Thanks, Mike. You're probably right. The only concern I have with aftermarket speakers is whether the stock amplifier will be sufficient to power them. If not, and I make the investment to upgrade the speakers, I probably will be wasting my money because they will not be performing at the level they should be.

e-man
Old 08-08-04, 09:32 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

using your stock amp would be similar to say installing an aftermarket headunit and using that to power new door speakers.....up to you
Old 08-08-04, 09:33 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Pirate400 -- I'm not sure I understand. Could you please elaborate?
Old 08-08-04, 10:04 PM
mikee72
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by e-man
Thanks, Mike. You're probably right. The only concern I have with aftermarket speakers is whether the stock amplifier will be sufficient to power them. If not, and I make the investment to upgrade the speakers, I probably will be wasting my money because they will not be performing at the level they should be.

e-man
I can't imagine a top-quality speaker being less efficient than the stock speakers. I think if you got some with an efficiency of ~93dB/w you'll be fine.
Old 08-09-04, 07:46 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The *GS* Nakamichi speakers are just not worth it. If I was trying to build a sound system, I wouldn't take them if they were free. They're not much of an improvement over the Pioneer speakers. Do yourself a favor and find something else that will fit in. There's nothing special about the Nak speakers. The tweeters have a strange protective coating on them that doesn't help the response any, I'm sure. The mids have no excursion capability, so you can't drive them hard at all without distorting, and their response is not very good to begin with.
I ripped the Nak speakers out of my car after living with them for a year. I wanted to throw a party the day that I did the ripout. They are now in a box in my garage - I'm only keeping them in case I want to return the car to stock condition.

Last edited by engin_ear; 08-09-04 at 07:47 AM.