Sponsored by:

subs

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-04, 07:05 AM
Gs Dreams
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subs

are jl w7 really that loud or they just over rated? If i was gonna go with the w7 13.5 do i need two 1000/1 just to push one? Because i heard guys were just using one 1000/1 to push the 12" version
Old 08-09-04, 07:51 AM
AristoTDOT
Driver

I think JL is very overrated....but alot of people love JL here ....Id go with infinity/alpine personally.....

id also post in the audio forum

Last edited by AristoTDOT; 08-09-04 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-09-04, 08:00 AM
AristoTDOT
Driver

Last edited by AristoTDOT; 08-09-04 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-09-04, 12:46 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The JL W7

I don't have a W7 in my car, but I'll just tell you this. I was at a local show about a year ago. A guy had a PT Cruiser that he had redone, air suspension, killer audio, etc. He had 2 10W7s in the cargo area, facing up, mounted in some custom fiberglass work. I asked him to let me hear it. He sat me in the driver's seat as he ran the system. All doors were open and the hatch lid was up, nothing to hold in the sound. When he cranked it up, I had trouble staying in the car - wanted to run home to Mommy. My chest was getting pounded, and it was extremely loud and clear, and the subs were only the 10's. I love loud music, and in addition to car stuff, I 've spent many years in really loud earsplitting dance clubs, just for perspective. This car was insanely loud. My conclusion: Not overrated. Still maybe a bit overhyped by JL though.
I wouldn't do a 12 or 13.5 W7 without at least 1000W. I don't think a 500/1 will cut it if you're looking for that kind of bass power. You need power, and you need some beef behind your electrical system to produce that kind of power.
Old 08-09-04, 09:50 PM
Gs Dreams
Pole Position

Default subs

thanks for the replies guys, and yes i was planning to do 2 13.5 in my gs. the question is how many amps per sub? i heard the 12" could take one 1000/1 so that means the 13.5 can take two 1000/1? and yes im a big fan of loud music as well i fell in love with the w7 when i heard them at a car show. these guy had four w7 12" and 4 1000/1 (one to each sub) in the bed of a avalanche dam the bass of that thing change my life. but i was wondering if i do go with the 13.5 and put one 1000/1 to it would it get the same power rating as puttin one 1000/1 to the 12" version, this where i get lost at
Old 08-10-04, 07:19 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

On the JL website, there is a chart of recommended power levels for each model of speaker. The sweet spots are at about 800W for the 12W7, 1000W for the 13W7. Though you probably could get away with running two of either of these from a 1000/1, you'd get better performance from using (1) 1000/1 for each sub. For the 12W7, according to JL, this is a bit into the danger zone (overpowered), and for the 13W7, just about perfect. If you decide to put in (2) 1000/1's, make sure your car's electrical system can handle the current that this stuff will draw, or you'll either have dimming lights at the minimum, or worse, you'll toast something.
Old 08-10-04, 10:59 AM
Gs Dreams
Pole Position

Default subs

thanks for your response, so u think putting two 1000/1 on the 13.5 to much of a "overkil"? so putting one 1000/1 on the 12" is to much power
im trying to get the perfect set up nice loud bass without worrying bout frying something in my baby (gs). actually im in the process of doing two systems, one for my prelude (backseats remove, system in place) and one for my lex. my plans were doing two 12" jl w7 and two 1000/1 (one per sub) and since the lex is bigger i was gonna do two 13.5 jl w7 and four 1000/1 but from what u telling me one 1000/1 would work perfect with the 13.5?
Old 08-10-04, 11:59 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Yeah, there's no way that you need two 1000/1 for each 13.5 W7. One each is enough, I think two each would actually void the warranty from JL, not a real good idea. What you need to ask is whether having two 1000/1's pumping, one for each sub, is too much for your electrical system. I would think it is, without some modifications. I have one 500/1 and a 1F cap and it begins to strain the GS electrical system, but I don't have a yellow Top (yet). I'd create another post that asks this question, since other people have done these types of setups and can give you a good idea. You might also try looking thru some previous posts by searching. You may need a high-output alternator, 2F of capacitance, a Yellow Top, and minimum 4 gauge power cable. Don't forget too, that you're going to have a third amp to drive the mids and highs, and that will draw some current as well.
"Nice loud bass" : yeah you'll get it with the W7's, but you'll have to do some anti-rattling work as well, and with the amount of bass those puppies put out, that's not an easy job.
Old 08-10-04, 06:32 PM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I've got two (2) MTX 10" subs in a box with a JL 500/1 monoblock amp and it goes BOOM.
Old 08-10-04, 09:13 PM
Gs Dreams
Pole Position

Default speakers

any speakers your reconmend? i was planing to do jl audio speakers on as well and let the 300/2 power the fronts and another 300/2 for the rears. you think that would be a good setup?
Old 08-11-04, 05:38 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For youe electrical system I would recommend at least 0/1 gauge wire from the engine to an extra battery or two in the trunk and a cap wouldn't hurt either and running 4 gauge from those batteries to the amps...Running 2-1000/1 for 2 13.7 would be fine and you will have very loud bass..For mids and highs I would go with the 450/4..It gives you more power and it's one amp instaed of 2..Also are you changing your headunit??? BTW- If you need some good RCA cables I have an extra set thats brand new if your interested..
Old 08-12-04, 11:00 AM
will33184
Lead Lap

hey, i know i might be kinda late, but maybe i can help u.

w7 is not over rated, its one of the best subs ever made period.

however u should also consider.

Resonant Engineering XXX
Resonant Engineering SX
Eclipse Titanium
Image Dynamics MAX
Adire Audio Bhrama
Orion H2

Personally, im a RE man (especially since im one of the only in southern california that can get it without having to pay dealer retail).

however, the W7 and the other subs listed are good too.

for car audio, its ALL about the install. nothing is good if u just use a regular box.

for example, 1 12" w7 in a SNAILSHELL box with a 1000/1, would be louder than 2 13.5 in sealed config

not only that, you have to worry about vibration, power issues, and much more

if you are in southerin california, this is my hobby and side job. I can get u the best brands at less than dealer cost

Zapco, focal, diamond, eclipse, RE , JL, Arc Audio, Tru tech

if you want to hear my GS in a week or so when its done thatd be ok too.

im running

Nakamichi CD 400 on Metra Tubo kit
Hooker audio RCAs
Street Wires dual 4gague
Street Wires connects/terminals/other
CDT HD-63 component set
Image Dynamics 5.25 Coaxial rear fill
Removed Rear Sub
Nakamichi P502 for highs
Hifonics Colossus XI
1 RE XXX in ABC 3.75 cub ft box
fatmat doors, trunk

i switch the amps and subs every now and then, but i like CDT becasue of the smooth sound, as for the headunit, its almost always either nakamichi or eclipse

2 13.5s would be ok but if not installed correctly, would still not be very good.
(BTW u CAN put 2 1000/1s on, but 1 is just fine becasue the w7 is a pretty sensitive sub)

if u want to know anything audio, hit me up at wjcheng@ucla.edu, ill answer any questions u have about car audio
Old 08-12-04, 11:55 PM
Gs Dreams
Pole Position

Default subs

i would come and check u out on the westside but dam im all the way over in jeresy and i was gonna do a custom trunk setup and puttin two 1000/1 on 13.5, how would that sound
Old 08-14-04, 08:47 AM
dagr8tsthustla
Lexus Test Driver

I've seen alot of custom installs....I MEAN ALOT!! Especially with the JL W7's....many installs that I've seen have been with the JL1000.1 to each 13.5W7...I've never seen go farther than that and last...JL is a great company and have been around for a long time...only thing is their warranty sucks!!! If you put too much power to those subs you WILL blow them....then you have to take apart your box to send it back to JL to get repaired...not replaced....it takes about a 1-4 week period for that to be done...I don't think you want to go w/o a system for that long. Even with the 1000.1 to one 13W7 you run the risk of blowing it...you just need to know how to listen to your music....go smoothly through the break-in period and don't pound it any chance you get. Also take this in to account...It's not really the size of the sub or the power of the amp...it's how your custom box is made....as long as it is made to spec and with the right materials...you'll have one hell of a system!!!

Good luck and hope this helps if not confuses you

Danny
Old 08-15-04, 08:04 PM
Gs Dreams
Pole Position

Default sub

thanks for the reply and yea come to think about it i think the 13.5 match up wit the (1) 1000/1 perfectly. after studying jlaudio.com's graph that combo hit it right in the sweet spot. any speaker suggestions and amp setups? i was thinkin of keeping it jl all the way around maybe go wit one of there componet setup with the 450/4 or two 300/1 * one for fronts one for rears* any input cl members

Quick Reply: subs