Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Help! Identify Audio Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-04 | 06:18 PM
gabeLex
Rookie

Default Help! Identify Audio Plugs

I went through the process of locating all wires associated with my Factory Nakamichi system on my 99 GS300. Here are the pics of my findings. Could someone please provide help in locating a plug/play wire harness or help identify the pins. Any help will do to get me along in my CarPC project. If i could find a harness that would supply RCA from the amp that would be SUPER!!!

This is the Amp
Attached Thumbnails Help! Identify Audio Plugs-back-of-amp.jpg  
Old 08-17-04 | 06:23 PM
gabeLex
Rookie

Amp Plugs
Attached Thumbnails Help! Identify Audio Plugs-amp-plugs.jpg  
Old 08-17-04 | 06:25 PM
gabeLex
Rookie

Back of Head Unit
Attached Thumbnails Help! Identify Audio Plugs-back-of-radio.jpg  
Old 08-17-04 | 06:27 PM
gabeLex
Rookie

Head Unit Plugs
Attached Thumbnails Help! Identify Audio Plugs-radio-plugs.jpg  
Old 08-17-04 | 07:15 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

some of your problem is the amp and wiring harness in the picture is the behind the glovebox pioneer 1998 99 00 gs system not nakamichi. the nakamichi amp is in the trunk and has bigger connectors. why do you think you have the nakamichi system ? the nakamichi radio wont plugfinto a pioneer system wiring harness . . if your radio has p1708 id number on the cassette flap door you have pioneer system. if your radio has nakamichi name on the front of it it couldnt be working though that amp.
Old 08-17-04 | 07:26 PM
gabeLex
Rookie

You are right! I stand Corrected!! it is Pioneer, not Nakamichi. Actually the dealer told me incorrectly. I made a phone call before i posted. Guess that didnt Help! I'm Novice to the sport of Audio...i'm sure u can detect that. I just want an easy plug/play method to connect my PC to current facory setup. I know information pertaining to the CPU...etc., but i dont have experience in the Audio world.
Old 08-17-04 | 07:55 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

i am a factory lexus audio expert so cant advise on aftermarket installs. thats percy of la's expertise. he wrote a book on it. yopur dealer has the gs electrical manual which has all the wires in the picture named and even color coded so you can figure out wiring diagram. there are no amp integration rca adapters for the gs amp or radio plugs. just for the speaker wire adapters the 88 up toyota speaker adapters at best buy or similar will work on the 98 to 2000 gs but you cant go by the toyota wire code written on the wires. . the lexus wire code is different but at least the toyota 10 pin male and 6 pin male adapter plugs will at least work so you dont have to cut off your factory radio and amp connectors. that is important in case the next owner wants to put the radio system back to stock which i have been doing for the over 2 weeks with a club member. his 4 radio plugs in his nakamichi system were all cut off by aftermarket installer. then the factory radio was just put back in when the owner removed the aftermarket system and told the new owner the radio quit working for unknown reasons .
Old 08-18-04 | 01:04 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

One thing I will guarantee you is that the GS's Nak system is not like the Pioneer system, in that you CAN tap the preamp lines coming out of the headunit and send them into an aftermarket amp. If you get the schematic, it will tell you the colors of the preamp wires for front/rear, left/right. You can tap these and solder on new RCA connectors, then use standard RCA cables to get the signals to your amp. (I know this because I've done it.) The preamp signals coming out of the Nak unit are high-level, they go almost up to the 12V rail before clipping, so you'll need to have an amp that can handle signals of this level. An LLC will not work in this case.

The GS's Nak headunit is of very good quality, as long as you keep the levels below clipping, which generally means don't turn your volume up past 12:00 or 1:00. The one complaint I've had was from a show judge that wanted a pause control on the CD player, to be able to judge system noise level in the way he was accustomed to - but the Nak unit has no pause.

Last edited by engin_ear; 08-18-04 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-19-04 | 06:52 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

gabeLex,

Just got to your friendly (hopefully) local lexus dealership and ask for the EWD for the car. The better ones will copy them for you.

Engin_ear,

There's always a "zero bit" track...surprised the judge didn't have a test disc handy that has one of these.

Percy
Old 08-19-04 | 07:22 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Default No Pause on Nak CD Controls

Don't want to go off topic, but as an aside, Percy, I had a 'zero bit' track with me, and Mr. Judge didn't want to use it because it was a non-standard way of doing things. Naturally, I thought that was stupid....
Old 01-28-05 | 08:46 PM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

can anyone help me find the wirng diagram for the system?