Sponsored by:

Backup Camera Details

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-04, 07:07 AM
nudderGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup Camera Details

I have spent countless hours researching the backup camera info on the site and there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive answer to my question. Or maybe I am just a little sssllllooowwwwww.

Anyway. What exactly do you need to have the staock NAV display the rear camera view automatically when you put the car in reverse? I am not interested in having DVD or any other sources, just a backup camera, no remote, just automatic.

What parts exactly (brand, model number) does someone need? It would seem you would need to create a circuit switch with the reverse light as the trigger. Do you use a terminal strip? Breadboard?

There is lot's of info about cameras, but they seem to be specific to aftermarket displays (Eclipse, etc.) What are the specs for a good camera? Lines of resolution, LUX levels, reverse image, etc.?

What are the differences between the display input specs for the older HD based NAV display versus the newer DVD based NAV? I have an older HD based NAV in my 98 GS. Narrower screen. Wiring diagram?

I think if we made it clean to understand, almost everyone with a NAV would consider having a rear view automatically pop-up when you put the trans in reverse. Very useful, safety boon for folks with small kids like me.

CL never dissapoints. I look forward to your help, and as always appreciate it very much. Thanks.
Old 08-18-04, 09:53 AM
LS007
Lead Lap

What is needed are two major components and maybe a switching relay.

The 1st major component is a video decoder capable of converting a composite video signal into analog R,G,B with a composite sync. The cheapest (approx. $100-150) and simplist decoder was Pioneer's AVC-RGB1, but that has discontinued a couple years ago. Now they are really hard to find, but creep up used on Ebay or car forums like www.acura-tl.com and www.odyclub.com. The other options would be
decoder from www.converters.tv or a full blown video on navigation solution from www.navtv.com or www.avelectronic.com. The avelectronic's unit has a dedicated backup camera input and trigger already.

The 2nd major component is a reverse image backup camera. There are a large number of big style RV cameras and few raw cameras available on the market, but a camera that mounts in your trunk key hole or to the license plate frame would be the best. One bullet style camera that I've heard works good mounted in the key hole and even has night vision is made by www.icon-tv.org. The folks at avelectronic's have a backup camera attached to a license plate frame.

Aside from this, the decoder you choose will dictate if you need a circuit for video switching. For example, the decoder from converters.tv will require a 4PDT relay (available at Radio Shack) and wiring to the reverse lights.

Hope this helps,
LS007 (VideoNavi guy)
Old 08-18-04, 09:56 AM
nudderGS400
Pole Position

Default Thanks LS007

That definitely helps. Thanks for the online sources too.

Are you aware of any major differences between the older NAV and the newer NAV wiring? Where do you tap in? Can you do it in the trunk where the HD is located on my 98? What wires?