What happened to my system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-04, 10:05 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Unhappy What happened to my system?

I am confused.....

I have a mild stereo setup consisting of a Kenwood eXcelon head unit, MBQ speakers up front, a 10' sub and an Alpine sound field processor.

I have a PPI 60x4 amp power my speakers and PPI 100x2 amp for my sub.

I was trying to bump some music earlier tonight but for some reason, when the volume got too loud (about 30 out of 35 as displayed on the head unit), everything suddenly went dead silent. I lost all the volume and the sound field processor (EQ)'s display went blank as well.

My head unit display still works but everything else seemed to have died on me.

Is it a blown fuse? Or did I do something that's going to cost me a load of money???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Jon
Old 08-19-04, 11:33 PM
ikankoi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you said everything else were on but the EQ , right? seems the field processor blew a fuse. try to check it first, thsat maybe the case. next, if the fuse is fine, try to bypass the signal from HU to your amps. if it works then therse a chance your EQ is dead. hope it helps
Old 08-19-04, 11:38 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thank you.

Actually, only my head unit is on now. I can see the light on my amps but I don't know if they still work or not since no sound is coming off my speakers.

If it's only the EQ, then the problem may be less complicated.

Any chance that I happened to have fried my entire system?

Thanks again.

Jon

Originally posted by ikankoi
you said everything else were on but the EQ , right? seems the field processor blew a fuse. try to check it first, thsat maybe the case. next, if the fuse is fine, try to bypass the signal from HU to your amps. if it works then therse a chance your EQ is dead. hope it helps
Old 08-19-04, 11:51 PM
ikankoi
Driver

i dont think so. to fry the whole system you ll need to do more than blasting the volume seems your amp is fine. try to check te EQ fuse first and then bypassing the signal. IMO the worst scenario is youll need to get a new EQ, and the best would be getting a new fuse. just let me know then we can start from there
Old 08-20-04, 12:11 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thank you!

I can finally sleep at peace tonight!

I may just take my car to a stereo shop for a check up. I haven't had my system looked at in a while.

Could you recommend any inexpensive and reputable shop near West Covina/Rowland Heights/Hacienda Heights areas?

i dont think so. to fry the whole system you ll need to do more than blasting the volume seems your amp is fine. try to check te EQ fuse first and then bypassing the signal. IMO the worst scenario is youll need to get a new EQ, and the best would be getting a new fuse. just let me know then we can start from there
Old 08-20-04, 09:32 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Gotcha!

I appreciate it!

Jon

Originally posted by xmystikx
San Gabriel.. Kembo.. cept PM me if you're going to go down.. i'll talk to the owner for you because he rips people off if you don't know him. Plus, it'd be nice to meet another CL member.
Old 08-20-04, 09:53 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Oooops.

Just checked my system. The CD changer still works.

But I no longer see the PWR light on my amp.

There is a fuse box near the battery though. I wonder if it's that fuse box that I need to fix.....

Jon
Old 08-20-04, 10:20 AM
ikankoi
Driver

Jon, i did all my stereo by myself so i dont know any shop here in greater LA. seems mystix got you a hook up so just try that. how long you have that system? why dont you try to bring it back to the shop you have them installed last time, they might know the answer since theyer the one who did the wiring and stuff. base on some friends experience, when they change installer, most of the time the new shop will put all the blame on the old one so theyll pull any reason to redo everything (=ripping off on albor and/or parts), especially if you have no idea wahts going on.

check the main fuse on the battery. if it is blown, there should be a reason for that. judging from your amp spec, you suppose to have 4GA power cable and 60A fuse. anything less than that will create insufficient current to your amp. that may be the case when you cranked the volume up, the amp drew alot of current that the fuse couldnt hande, so it blew.

btw, i have a boring day in the office today, so ill be around in the forum. just let us know, maybe some other member can give you better solutions. good luck!
Old 08-20-04, 12:25 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thanks for all the help, guys. I finally figured out the problem.

There was a fuse on each of my amps, no fuse on my Alpine EQ brain. But there was a fuse box and another fuse on the remote wire.

I checked all the fuses and they were all good. Luckily, I found a burned one all the way near the battery on the remote wire. That was the culprit!

Jon
Old 08-20-04, 01:03 PM
ikankoi
Driver

rock on, dude
Old 08-20-04, 01:05 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Yeap!

rock on, dude

Last edited by Baby ///M3; 08-20-04 at 01:05 PM.