Sponsored by:

Conflict (Woody, Gene & "P")

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-01, 08:37 AM
lexlyf3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

OK, I'm trying to get my components coorect for my May install. I'm highly interested in getting the RF Symmetry EPX2 w/ the 28-band eq card. I'm also captured by the Alpine DSP/Dolby Digital Decoder unit.

Question#1: What are the full capabilities of the RF Symmetry besides the EQ portion? What other optional cards can be inserted to expand capabilities? (Could not find enough info from the RF site.....could you add maybe a noice gate??)

Question#2: If you have both the RF & Alpine piece installed will they conflict with one another? I mean if the Alpine has a built in eq & the Symmetry is also on......does the Apocolypse occur or what????

Question #3: I know Dyn's reign supreme around these parts, but how good in sonic quality are the Diamond Hex series in comparison to the Soundstream SPL's I'm using? I have the Diamond HEX S600a if not mistaken.

FYI: I have the Alpine 1005 head unit as well & will probably be using an APEX home DVD player along with a home Super VHS machine. Damnn........Muvico Theaters better watch out!!

I ask to have the stereo/multi-media Gods fill my brain with infinite wisdom and humility!! (Don't you hate it when people beg??!! LOL).

Most likely I will have to put the Dyn's on back burner & have the Diamonds HEX's put in.

That's enough for now!!

Holla'
Old 04-10-01, 11:42 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

lexlyf3,

Q1...I don't know enough about the RF processor. Had their brochure at one time but it has since disappeared. Wasn't there a crossover module option?

Q2...If all is hooked up right, then the Alpine and RF shouldn't conflict with each other.

Q3...Your Diamond Hex series will be WORLDS better than the Soundstream. Soundstream is more of a lower/mid tier speaker while the Diamonds would rank as a high end speaker.

Noise gates. They're good for filtering, but with a properly designed system you shouldn't need these. The cons about noise gates is that they can't differentiate between low level detail (subtle nuances) and noise or hiss. I'd skip on the noise gate and concentrate on getting the quality of the system right. IMO, noise gates are like a band aid. Covers up the problems and doesn't fix them.

Percy
Old 04-10-01, 01:20 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Symmetry

Marken - Ditto on P's comments about the noise gate ( kinda like a high end noise filter ). A properly designed system doesn't need these if everythings run/grounded correctly & U use decent interconnects. I don't have one anywhere in my system & I GUARRANTEE that Percy doesn't either because we've thought out the placements & locations of all our components. The only time I injected any noise in the system was when I added the kicks & used the Focal X-over - the crossover was actually generating a radio field that the Focals picked up! I considered a noise gate/line driver but even a tech at Crystal ( who make decent gates ) told me that the problem was elsewhere. When I figured it out ( with Percy's E-mail assistance ), I simply moved the X-over further away from the kicks & no noise!! About the RF piece - besides infinite EQ settings ( of each channel independently ), it offers different crossover points; a fader/balance control; & the ability to program up to 16 EQ/X-over curves for different music; people; or, in my case, competition curves. It also has an electronic X-over built in - pretty good piece of equipment!! As long as U save 1 of the 2 input sources for use with the Alpine Dolby decoder, that decoder will work fine. Don't worry about double equalization - like Master SQ says, if they're hooked up correctly, they'll live in harmony. IMO, just leave the EQ settings on the Alpine neutral & use the Symmetry to do the work. It has 1/3 octave ability to really fine tune things. U already know how i feel about Diamonds or I wouldn't have 2 pair in my system ( BUT there MAY be some Dyns in my future!? ):eek:
Old 04-11-01, 08:31 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Question 14 bands or 28

Gene,
I'm wondering if the 28 band card for the Symmetry is overkill or not? Do you think the 14 band card would offer enough adjustment to correct sonic deficiencies?

I figure being able to adjust 14 bands per all channels connected to the Symmetry should be more than adequate.

What are you're thoughts?
Old 04-11-01, 09:35 PM
Percy

Default Re: 14 bands or 28

Marken,

I'm not Gene but I'll respond anyways! 14 bands, IMO seems a bit lacking. You are better off with a good 30 band 1/3 octave graphic eq, or better yet, a parametric eq for ultimate flexibility. 14 bands are a bit coarse for a graphic eq. In contrast, 6 bands of parametric eq will have MUCH MORE flexibility than a 30 band graphic. Reason being is that you can adjust the bandwidth, center frequency and "Q" of the frequency in question. Precision laser or kitchen knife? Both will do the job, just one is more accurate and precise.

A graphic eq can induce other problems when the frequencies in question are close to each other. This may cause another anomaly to come up that wasn't there before...this is due to the fixed bandwidth of each frequency adjustment on the graphic eq's. Paremetrics don't have this problem since you can widen or shorten the bandwidth.

Percy

Originally posted by lexlyf
Gene,
I'm wondering if the 28 band card for the Symmetry is overkill or not? Do you think the 14 band card would offer enough adjustment to correct sonic deficiencies?

I figure being able to adjust 14 bands per all channels connected to the Symmetry should be more than adequate.

What are you're thoughts?
Old 04-12-01, 09:28 AM
lexlyf3
Rookie

Percy/Gene,
Doesn't the Alpine Digital Dolby 5.1 Sound Processor have Parametric EQ ability?
Old 04-12-01, 09:54 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Parametric EQ

Marken - U know that the only thing Percy & disagree on is SPL ( & he may be wearing me down!! ). Go with the 28 band card as it has 1/3 octave slopes while the 14 band card only offers 1/2 octave. Just much more able to fine tune things. Don't have any info on the Dolby decoder at the moment - it wasn't available when I put my system in & I've used up all my inputs to add it on right now with out overhauling things. Brad might have the newest specs on it as Woody's carries Alpine.
Old 04-12-01, 10:10 AM
Percy

Marken,

From what I remember, it doesn't. The only parametric eq (fairly new one) was the PXAH600. I listened to that one and, IMO, it was the WORST piece (other than ERAG320) that Alpine has ever done. Adjustability SUCKED. Save the bucks and drop in a Mc equpped parametric. Compatible with pretty much EVERYTHING on the market and it doesn't lock you into a proprietary bus (AiNet). From what I remember the Alpine could only do 3 frequencies at very coarse steps. Alpine was a digitally controlled digital processor with limited settings. Range was +/- 4db at limited frequencies of their programming. McIntosh is using +/- 15db for EACH frequency (still THE most flexible on the market), Q of .7 to 6.3 and 1/6th octave steps with a seperate sub controller. Digtally controlled ANALOG filters. Moocho headroom.

With the Alpine, it will sound MUDDY...FM radio sounds worlds better. With the Mc, you have a good chance. With the Mc modded, you're qualified into high end. Save the bucks.

Percy

Originally posted by lexlyf3
Percy/Gene,
Doesn't the Alpine Digital Dolby 5.1 Sound Processor have Parametric EQ ability?
Old 04-12-01, 12:39 PM
lexlyf3
Rookie

Alright. Thanks for all the input thus far

Due to the recommendations, I'm going to hold off on the Apline DSP (PXA-H510) until a more reliable piece of equipment surfaces. Is there any other manufacturers that make a 5.1 DSP? That's all I want that piece of equipment to do.

Because of $$ limitations (Need the bucks to go fast, not sound fast), I will install the Diamond Hex's in the new fiberglass door panels. BUT, I will have them made to accomodate the dimensions of the Dynaudio MW130 & Dynaudio MW160's, so that when they are purchased later this year I can just drop them in.

Along with the Alpine 1005, the APEX MD100 (12 volt DVD player) will go in along w/ some VCR of my choice. I wasn't going to do the VCR until I realized that the only way I could play music videos & music related programming was to use a VCR. There aren't any recordable DVD players yet.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks.

Marken.
Old 04-17-01, 02:29 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Last I recall the RF had a lot of hiss-type noise problems, and it also couldn't take much voltage in without clipping.

Less bands would probably result in a quieter processor, more would allow finer adjustment. I think there is only a +/- 1db resolution for adjustment, which isn't very good if you are going to try to do any critical tuning.

Noise gates are only for zero bit tracks which are tested in competition, and there is pretty much no need for one in a day-to-day system. (I doubt you will critically check your noise floor during a zero bit passage!) Most of the time a good system won't need one even if competing.