Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Freeair Setup...which subs

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-04, 09:56 PM
DuttyLeXus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default elemenal desing, idmax, jlaudio, kicker......

Well i currently have 2 jl audio 12w6's with a rf801s amp in a subzone vented box.
I like the way they hit but i want to try something different...

i have done tons of searches but cant decide...
i listen to alot of rap and reggae music...

i want to do 3 12's freeair using my 801s.

how does the elemental designs ov.2 subs hit in freeair and whats the rms?

also

how does the idmax spl sub hit in freeair?

which would you choose the elemental designs or idmax?

another question...

if i wanted to do another sealed setup...what would hit harder than 2 12in Kicker L7s and 2 w6s?

thanks alot guys...please help me out

Last edited by DuttyLeXus; 08-22-04 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-22-04, 09:40 PM
DuttyLeXus
Pole Position

anyone???????
Old 08-23-04, 08:44 PM
DuttyLeXus
Pole Position

thanks alot...but what would hit harder than 2 12in L7s in a vented box?
Old 08-23-04, 10:25 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by xmystikx
elemental designs isnt as clean.. but is a great sub ported.. it is seriously amazing how loud that thing gets.. esp with the advertised rms wattage.. either sub you're getting an amazing deal.. i'd go for whatever is less exepensive if i were you.
The Ov.2's are not even shipped/released yet...how would you know this? Only a handful of people have been able to get a sample version (eD ships the sub' to a person, he tests it and then sends it to the next on person on the list of selected testers).

DuttyLeXus - The Kv.2's work well in IB (free-air) use...the Ov.2's weren't designed for that particular use.

As of now, I recommend the iDMAX v.3...great subs' for all three applications: IB, sealed and ported. I have heard the iDMAX in all three...but for true feedback, contact the members who have great experience with the iDMAX would be retrodrive and also engin_ear. As for the eD Kv.2's (Elemental Designs have finally received all their parts and I have a feeling the subs' will be shipped out soon), keep on the lookout in the future for some extensive reviews by some selected members.

Don't want to give away too much information right now, but I am planning to purchase a number of Kv.2's (other than my e16Kv.2 which I pre-ordered a few months ago) and putting them in the hands of experienced audio-enthusiasts.

If you want information about the new Elemental Designs stuff, just get in contact with the main man, kaosman...he is eD.
Old 08-25-04, 12:06 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: elemenal desing, idmax, jlaudio, kicker......

Originally posted by DuttyLeXus
Well i currently have 2 jl audio 12w6's with a rf801s amp in a subzone vented box.
I like the way they hit but i want to try something different...

i have done tons of searches but cant decide...
i listen to alot of rap and reggae music...

i want to do 3 12's freeair using my 801s.

I'm having a hard time understanding why you'd want to do free-air given what you said, esp. with multiple woofers. What is it you DON'T like about what you already have, and what are your system goals? Sounds like you may want more SPL, and that you may want to rock the neighborhood outside the car in addition to the inside. Do you know what SPL level you're hitting inside the car - have you measured it?

You may want to upgrade to W6V2's or W7's or IDMAX's. (Even though I have IDMAX, I think a pair of W7s is best for rap from what I've heard...) The rf801s is 2400 watts, but I don't know if that's RMS or peak. The RMS per channel rating is what counts, so you may need more power if you go with more than 2 woofs. If you want more SPL, go with woofers with greater excursions and/or more of them. You can stick with a ported box. IDMAX's will run free-air, though I have not tried it. A ported box should give you a nice response for rap/reggae.