Sponsored by:

SIRIUS PnP for 2000 GS400

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-04, 03:38 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default SIRIUS PnP for 2000 GS400

Okay guys I did do a search so dont burn me to hard. I have a 2000 GS400 with the stock Navi. I just recently bought the SIRIUS Blaupunkt PNP. The internal FM Transmitter is terrible. I got static on all the channels.

I have a couple questions if you guys can help me out...

1. Is there any way to add an Aux Input for our systems?

2. If yes, where can I buy one and is the install dificult?

3. Does anybody have any pics of your either SIRIUS or XM PNP install?

Thanks guys I appreciate it!
Old 08-23-04, 08:34 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hopefully some other CL members will chime in, but you're sure to get a lot of info on such topics by checking out the forum at www.siriusbackstage.com.
Old 08-24-04, 08:19 AM
melymel96
Intermediate

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
Hopefully some other CL members will chime in, but you're sure to get a lot of info on such topics by checking out the forum at www.siriusbackstage.com.
Nobody's been able to help me out there. Ive been on the boards all day!

Thanks though!
Old 08-24-04, 01:14 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Then perhaps you've seen the post on www.siriusbackstage.com about a fellow from Buffalo who took his AudioVox PnP2 apart and modified the FM modulator chip (almost all PnPs use the same chip) so that it broadcasts on other frequencies above and below the usual 88.1, 88.3, 88.5 and 88.7.

You might not be that ambitious, but that's one way to modulate your PnP to an unused frequency.
Old 08-25-04, 11:44 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: SIRIUS PnP for 2000 GS400

Originally posted by melymel96
Okay guys I did do a search so dont burn me to hard. I have a 2000 GS400 with the stock Navi. I just recently bought the SIRIUS Blaupunkt PNP. The internal FM Transmitter is terrible. I got static on all the channels.

I have a couple questions if you guys can help me out...

1. Is there any way to add an Aux Input for our systems?

2. If yes, where can I buy one and is the install dificult?

3. Does anybody have any pics of your either SIRIUS or XM PNP install?

Thanks guys I appreciate it!
Aux input is difficult unless you've modified your system and have aftermarket amp, etc. You can check Blitzsafe.com for the latest updates for Lexus GS, but I don't think they have anything yet, but not sure.

My gut feeling is that your install needs improvement to be able to get rid of the noise. The Blaupunkt PNP should not be that bad. You may want to check your grounding, and power connections, and where you've mounted things, the quality of any cables you used, etc. If possible, ground the PNP unit to the same ground point as your headunit that it's plugging into. Also make sure that the integrity of your antenna connections is OK all around and that nothing is loose. There may be a modulation adjustment level on the PNP unit that you can adjust to get maximum signal/noise, make sure it is up as far as you can go without getting distortion. Keep your cable runs as short as possible and uncoiled. You may want to run dedicated power and ground lines for the PNP from the battery if you haven't already done so. Also check that your antenna installation is in accordance with the installation instructions.
If you bought your PNP unit at a dealer that does installs, ask them whether they have any typical problems with noise with that unit, and what they've done to correct them.
Old 08-26-04, 07:50 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation My $.02

I've got a Sirius Kenwood H2A installed in my 98 GS w/nav. I removed the ashtray for the install. It's a preliminary install, and am trying to figure out how to get some acrylic installed to make it look cleaner. I can snap a couple of pics tonight if you're interested. IMHO the fm method blows. I did an A/B comparision of the wireless fm vs. the tape player method....OMG!!! The difference was HUGE!! I went with the tape player route. Yeah there's a little wire showing, but you hardly notice it. I don't think anyone has come out with a reliable way to tap the CD changer bus, because our systems are so propreitary.
Old 08-26-04, 08:59 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Thanks for the help guys! I think Im going to go with the Kenwood KCA-R71FM. You can see it on Crutchfield.com I can install the small display inside the ash tray. I saw someone on here who installed there XM commander in there and it looks really nice. The XM commander and Kenwood are similar producsts except the Commander has a bigger display.

Im not willing to pull out my stock Navi for Satellite Radio. just wont happen! =(
Old 08-27-04, 08:49 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by melymel96
Thanks for the help guys! I think Im going to go with the Kenwood KCA-R71FM. You can see it on Crutchfield.com I can install the small display inside the ash tray. I saw someone on here who installed there XM commander in there and it looks really nice. The XM commander and Kenwood are similar producsts except the Commander has a bigger display.

Im not willing to pull out my stock Navi for Satellite Radio. just wont happen! =(
Biggest problem with the Kenwood controller and others like it from other manufacturers is that, while the characters on the display are big and easy to read, you don't get enough info on the screen at any one time, and you have to keep looking down and scrolling. Not only does this get irritating, it's downright dangerous in traffic, not to mention the extra wear an tear on the control buttons. Just make sure you know how it operates before you commit, if this is important to you. Best way to do that is to see if they have the user's manual in PDF form on Kenwood.com, and that will tell you exactly what you need to know.
Old 08-27-04, 02:09 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Yeah I was thinking about that also. I might be in luck. The new SIRIUS Sportster is coming out and is capable of being mounted on the Pro Fit brackets made specifically for our cars. You can get them at Crutchfield. When the new PNP comes out I will buy it and if I dont have any problems with the FM transmitter like I did with the Blaupunkt I will just get the Pro Fit bracket. I wish we can just do a direct connect for our Stock systems but even mine is too old. I have a 2000 GS4! =(
Old 08-31-04, 08:11 PM
ratLh8r
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out FM Modulators - essentially a hardwire into the radio antenna input. This is not a transmitter...

Delphi XM Radio Audio Adaptor

This unit comes with an FM Modulator: XM Commander

My install: