Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

XM Radio dealer install antennae update...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-04, 08:49 PM
asleep
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Radio dealer install antennae update(inside the car)...

Just had XM radio installed in my LS430(cost a pretty penny) and my dealer(Houston) is now installing the antennae on the rear deck of the car next to the brake light. They're using Velcro to hold it. They had so many complaints about the trunk lid mount they tested for a new location. I'll have a performance review in a few weeks.

Last edited by asleep; 09-04-04 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-01-04, 05:14 PM
iammikey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's were I installed mine on my ES330. I'll have it painted to match the factory paint and may relocate it just behind the sunroof. On the rear deck, I have not had any issues of dropped signals unless in a tunnel.
Attached Thumbnails XM Radio dealer install antennae update...-28.jpg  
Old 09-04-04, 11:59 AM
asleep
Rookie

The antennaes are being installed inside the car on the shelf behind the rear seats and next to the third brake light. I was not clear in my prior post, sorry.
Old 09-04-04, 02:24 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Can the satellite radio antennas be installed on the inside of the vehicle? I wonder if the tint of a rear glass would affect the signal.
Old 09-04-04, 05:37 PM
iammikey
Driver

The antenna will work fine on the interior rear deck, but some window tints may decrease your reception.
Old 09-05-04, 08:54 PM
asleep
Rookie

Originally posted by rgarjr
Can the satellite radio antennas be installed on the inside of the vehicle? I wonder if the tint of a rear glass would affect the signal.
I asked my dealer and they said the window film they use is non-metallic so the affect is minimal.
Old 09-09-04, 07:36 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

what dealer did you go to for the xm radio.. do you know if it can be installed on an 04 gx?
Old 09-09-04, 10:21 PM
asleep
Rookie

Originally posted by Kash
what dealer did you go to for the xm radio.. do you know if it can be installed on an 04 gx?
Sterling McCall Lexus
10422 Southwest Fwy.
Houston, TX 77074
Main: (888) 318-8936

If it has the DVD Nav I'd assume so.
Old 09-12-04, 05:41 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XM Radio Antenna

I had my Roady antenna mounted next to the spoiler on my RX. But a few months ago I mounted my Roday reciever in the sunglasses holder. I had to rerun the antenna wiring. So I put the antenna on the dash while I redid the wiring. Radio works just fine. So I used velcro and mounted the antenna in the center of the dash. All the way forward. It still fades out in the same places as before. But works fine.
Old 09-13-04, 07:28 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice to see that dealers are actually doing satellite radio installs, that's a good thing for taking the car apart, as opposed to Circuit City. I just hope they get the electronics and wiring part of it right. Usually I don't want the dealer meesing with anything that's not in their shop manual and that they don't do every day.
Old 09-13-04, 08:56 AM
asleep
Rookie

I'm noticing some dropouts under dense trees with the inside rear shelf location. Not a big deal, but not ideal either.
Old 09-28-04, 08:55 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

I just ordered a 2005 LX470. I am getting the XM radio on it. My question is why it costs $975 to install a freaking XM tuner??? Especially if the car is supposedly prewired for the antenna etc.?? Can I just buy an aftermarket XM tuner box and have it work through the Mark Levinson stereo and NAV screen?? My thought would be that the ML and NAV would act just like any XM radio receiver and decode the signal from the tuner (artist, channel, track and album etc.) Any ideas or suggestions???
Old 09-29-04, 07:46 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're concerned with this, you first need to find out exactly what the details are from the tech that would be doing the install, there may be more to it than expected for that car (?) For starters, Lexus hourly rates are not cheap, but you may not want anyone else working on your car. The ML system & antenna connector may not be straightforward. Hopefully someone that has the ML system will chime in here.
Old 09-29-04, 09:34 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Doc C
I just ordered a 2005 LX470. I am getting the XM radio on it. My question is why it costs $975 to install a freaking XM tuner??? Especially if the car is supposedly prewired for the antenna etc.?? Can I just buy an aftermarket XM tuner box and have it work through the Mark Levinson stereo and NAV screen?? My thought would be that the ML and NAV would act just like any XM radio receiver and decode the signal from the tuner (artist, channel, track and album etc.) Any ideas or suggestions???
The dealership charges this much because sometimes they send the car out to have the electronics installed..I used to work for sound advice and the Lexus dealer would send the vehicle to my store to have XM, audio/video installed and of course the buyer would get stuck with the a hefty overhead price..$975 for an XM radio install is insane..i would consider going to a local custom stereo shop(not bestbuy, or circuit,ECT..) I mean a shop who does show stereo systems and custom work..it could save you a couple hundred bucks...
Old 09-29-04, 05:19 PM
asleep
Rookie

I bought the Lexus XM Tuner for $505.75 and the cover for $90.02 from the dealership parts department. They installed it on site. An aftermarket box won't interface with the Nav like the O.E.M. does. Trunk pic shows where the XM box/cover are installed.

(If this post is too large please respond and I'll delete it.)

Quick Reply: XM Radio dealer install antennae update...