Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Firewall holes? free grommets for gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-04, 05:42 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Firewall holes? free grommets for gauges?

Hi, im trying to install a few necessary gauges on my SC. However, i was searching for a hole thru the firewall on the driver side, but was easily stumped. where do you guys feed your wires thru on the firewall? did anyone drill?

thanks!

**YES i did search. Most ppl suggested the clutch hole. Problem is that my car is a 5 spd**
Old 09-12-04, 05:51 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Proper way to run cable is as follows:

1.- Purchase a UNIBIT.

2.- Go where the steering unit goes through the firewall and track over about 3 inches.

3.- If your car is a automatic, use the unibit where the clutch pedal would be, there is an open space there. If your car is a manual, track over the same direction a few inches and measure how far you went. Once you have the measurement go to the other side of the firewall and see if anything is blocking it on the other side where you intend to drill by using your measurements from the other side. You will know exactly where the UNIBIT will emerge from the firewall and no damage will be done.

More tips from the pro's coming soon

Last edited by O. L. T.; 09-12-04 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-12-04, 06:01 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

are there other alternatives besides drilling?
Old 09-12-04, 07:40 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i found a small existing hole that had some wires running through it then drilled it out a little more to make room for my amp power wire and other things
Old 09-12-04, 09:28 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally posted by kaotiq
are there other alternatives besides drilling?
I don't recall saying so
Old 09-13-04, 06:39 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

greaaaat drilling thru the firewall....sounds like fun
Old 09-13-04, 06:42 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by kaotiq
greaaaat drilling thru the firewall....sounds like fun
You"ll be fine..Go to home depot and buy a greenleaf unibit and it will cut through like butter..
Old 09-13-04, 07:09 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by johnee78
You"ll be fine..Go to home depot and buy a greenleaf unibit and it will cut through like butter..
The problem is usually not cutting thru the firewall metal, it's not cutting thru stuff that's on the other side...just be careful.
Old 09-13-04, 05:58 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally posted by engin_ear
The problem is usually not cutting thru the firewall metal, it's not cutting thru stuff that's on the other side...just be careful.

So very true.

again i repeat for your saftey:

2.- Go where the steering unit goes through the firewall and track over about 3 inches.

3.- If your car is a automatic, use the unibit where the clutch pedal would be, there is an open space there. If your car is a manual, track over the same direction a few inches and measure how far you went. Once you have the measurement go to the other side of the firewall and see if anything is blocking it on the other side where you intend to drill by using your measurements from the other side. You will know exactly where the UNIBIT will emerge from the firewall and no damage will be done.
Old 09-14-04, 01:36 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

It would help to know which car you have.

I poked a hole in a stock grommet.
I just traced the wires that come out of the fusebox (at driver's feet) to the firewall.

If not, then the drill might be the only answer.

Good luck.

~Alan

P.S. Before I did it through the grommet in the firewall, I had it a totally ghetto way.
I pulled the wire through the inside of the fender and out a hole by the door hinge, then the wire went into a rubber boot that was sealing the hinge. Hard to explain, but I wouldn't recommend this due to the rubbing that occurs everytime the door is opened/closed.
Old 09-15-04, 07:07 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SPORTcoupe
It would help to know which car you have.

I poked a hole in a stock grommet.
I just traced the wires that come out of the fusebox (at driver's feet) to the firewall.

If not, then the drill might be the only answer.

Good luck.

~Alan

P.S. Before I did it through the grommet in the firewall, I had it a totally ghetto way.
I pulled the wire through the inside of the fender and out a hole by the door hinge, then the wire went into a rubber boot that was sealing the hinge. Hard to explain, but I wouldn't recommend this due to the rubbing that occurs everytime the door is opened/closed.
I have a SC300. This thread was post originally in the SC section but it got moved. IM seriously trying to avoid drilling.
Old 09-15-04, 09:30 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

in my sc 5 speed i used the existing grommet to run my 0 gauge wire. while i was there i noticed there was plently of space for guages and such. heres what to do:

1: get car in the air and remove drivers side wheel
2: remove inner fender liner
3: if you look to the reaer of the fender youll see where the harness passes through the firewall. its secured by 2 bolts and has a rubber grommet around the wires
4: remove bolts
5: cut grommet to feed wires and then feed them into the cabin through the grommet and into the engine bay through the hole for the clutch fluid reservoir.
6(optional): seal grommet with silicon
7: reinstall everything in the reverse order. the wires will be in the cabin in the footwell. you can also do this without removing the fender liner but it is much harder, especially since you have a 5 speed. cut from the inside and feed it into the fender from the cabin then fish it out of the fender through the clutch fluid reservoir hole. i did this in my auto supra. it hardest part was finding the wire. if you can get a pickup tool from autozone or other store that has the prongs that extend out then you can probably fish the wires out with that.