Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Upgrading Alternator, electrical system in GS

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-04 | 08:17 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Default Upgrading Alternator, electrical system in GS

Alright guys, I have a big system. Autotexk 1500 watt mono amp, 2 12 w6's.

I am blowing 80 amp fuses when I am really cranked, so I upgraded to some 150 amp in line fuses. But I know for a fact that the alternator cant keep up with the system, and I need to upgrade it.

I know 00lexondubs upgraded his alternator and im going to contact him, but what alternators do you guys recomend?

Do you also recomend I upgrade the grounds with a grounding kit?

I already have 1 optima yellow top, and I was thinking of doing a dual battery set up. Should I do that in addition to the Upgraded alternator?

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-14-04 | 01:30 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Hey there,
Your car must be pretty loud. =)
PHR sells an alternator that would more than fill your needs, but it runs a lofty $700:
http://www.powerhouseracing.com/sc300_electronics.shtml

Taking a look at some of the mods you've chosen, I think you have the $

Good luck.

~Alan
Old 09-14-04 | 02:56 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SPORTcoupe
Hey there,
Your car must be pretty loud. =)
PHR sells an alternator that would more than fill your needs, but it runs a lofty $700:
http://www.powerhouseracing.com/sc300_electronics.shtml

Taking a look at some of the mods you've chosen, I think you have the $

Good luck.

~Alan
Yeah, my car is louder than heck, but for 700 dollars that is insane.... Screw it, ill just get another cap.

I could use 700 dollars for something much better.
Old 09-15-04 | 02:23 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

I hate to rain on your party, but watch out for hearing loss man, if you're blowing 80 amp fuses. Sounds insane.
Old 09-15-04 | 07:12 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by engin_ear
I hate to rain on your party, but watch out for hearing loss man, if you're blowing 80 amp fuses. Sounds insane.
Haha dont worry, its not that loud. Im not running the amp at full capacity, but its still drawing more than 80 amps.

Only running 2 12w6's. You wouldnt believe how much louder 2 W7's in my friends tahoe is.... And thats only on a JL 1000/1, hes getting another I think.
Old 09-17-04 | 02:06 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

There is no need to spend $700 on a high ouput alternator imo. You have two options:
1.Get your current alternator rewound to handle more amps. Check out the yellow pages for alternator shops, they will have more info on precise costs and benefits.
2. Buy a new alternator. There are a lot of choices out there, the key is getting one that will fit in your car. This actually isnt that hard to do, performance shops, car audio shops and alternator shops can all get you a new one. Companies like Stinger make them, take one from another ride (big cars/suvs usually have a pretty high amp rating) there are a ton of options.
Also, look at getting a grounding kit and a second battery. It couldnt hurt. Another thing is your fuses, you shouldnt jump from 80 amps to 150 amps, try to find something around 90-100. Its your call, but I dont know if I would want 150 amps going into my amplifier. Good luck.

Last edited by sirsomo; 09-17-04 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-20-04 | 02:16 PM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Well technically you shouldnt even have fuses in there. You should be using a breaker.

There is a mathmatical equation on what size breaker to use based on your amperage needs.I dont know it off the top of my head.But you should have one at the battery AND at the back of the car, that way if you have a problem you will end up with a dead wire going through your car instead of one that still has current going through it.I've seen too many cars burn up the interiors cause the installer was too cheap to use two breakers.
Old 09-20-04 | 03:12 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally posted by LMSguy
Well technically you shouldnt even have fuses in there. You should be using a breaker.

There is a mathmatical equation on what size breaker to use based on your amperage needs.I dont know it off the top of my head.But you should have one at the battery AND at the back of the car, that way if you have a problem you will end up with a dead wire going through your car instead of one that still has current going through it.I've seen too many cars burn up the interiors cause the installer was too cheap to use two breakers.
Point well taken. I would think that you only need one breaker though - at the battery. From there on out, you could use fuses. (Breakers have their problems as well, as far as guaranteeing that they trip, or going flaky and tripping when not intended.) I've typically done things this way, the breaker at the battery provides a switch as well, if you want to kill the system completely (valet, etc).
For safety, you should always have a breaker or fuse on power wiring at or near the battery, since a short (and fire) can develop anywhere after that point.
Old 09-20-04 | 03:18 PM
LMSguy
Pole Position

I've just always had the ideals that pushing a button on a breaker is a whole lot cheaper and easier than replacing expensive fuses.
And I personally have never had a breaker trip when it wasnt suppossed to or not trip when it was suppossed to.

Maybe I'm just lucky that way.
Old 09-21-04 | 11:40 AM
Din
Lexus Champion

i got my factory 90 amp alt redone locally to a 160 amp for 325$.
Old 09-21-04 | 02:02 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Sent you a pm
Old 09-23-04 | 12:54 AM
NisAznMonk
Driver

Contact Lone Star auto in Stafford TX (southwest Houston). They do alternator rewinds and custom alternator setups...and I think DIN got his from there as well. They are located off of Murphy Road and main street, behind the Napa auto parts.

if you go to www.termpro.com look up the sn "trafficjamz". Dominic Iraggi built my custom alternator for my 2001 Tacoma. It cost me about $450 with a lifetime warranty. I'm running three 12w7's on 3 Rockford Fosgate power bd 1000a1's and 2 SVR-80 batteries. I have no problems so far.

Last edited by NisAznMonk; 09-23-04 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-23-04 | 12:58 AM
NisAznMonk
Driver

Originally posted by Blue98Gs3
Yeah, my car is louder than heck, but for 700 dollars that is insane.... Screw it, ill just get another cap.

I could use 700 dollars for something much better.
A cap is like a bandaid...get your alternator rewound or pick up a new one. Your friend with the tahoe....2x13.5 w7's i believe?
Old 09-23-04 | 12:08 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by NisAznMonk
A cap is like a bandaid...get your alternator rewound or pick up a new one. Your friend with the tahoe....2x13.5 w7's i believe?
Actually just 2 12w7's. man how do you even live with 3 w7s? its just for competition right? There is no way i can stand that much bass just coming out of my buddies tahoe, and hes only got a JL 1000/1 on the two....

But yeah, Ill look into that shop, definitely dont wanna drain my battery.
Old 09-23-04 | 03:06 PM
NisAznMonk
Driver

Originally posted by Blue98Gs3
Actually just 2 12w7's. man how do you even live with 3 w7s? its just for competition right? There is no way i can stand that much bass just coming out of my buddies tahoe, and hes only got a JL 1000/1 on the two....

But yeah, Ill look into that shop, definitely dont wanna drain my battery.
Pick up a rewound alternator or a custom alternator before you get a 2nd battery. Thats always the best way to go. You might want to ask them about building you an external coil too, that way you can have a consistent 14.4V.

I'm picking up a 99 GS300 this weekend and I'll be at Lone Star auto to do the same thing. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Upgrading Alternator, electrical system in GS-dsc00562b.jpg  

Last edited by NisAznMonk; 09-23-04 at 03:09 PM.