Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Sub/Amp Combo

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-04 | 09:46 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Default Sub/Amp Combo

What Sub/Amp combo are you running? Pics of install? Looking to do an install. JL is my prefered choice, but too expensive for my budget right now. But have heard that there are plenty of non-JL subs/amps out there that perform just as well if not better. Anybody have this? Thanks

John

Last edited by JohnGS4; 09-13-04 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-14-04 | 01:25 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not sure if you GS guys have the stock 10" sub in the rear deck.
Let me know if you do, and how much bass you're looking for.

I have an SC3 and I replaced the stock pioneer 10 with a Rockford Fosgate 10 powered by a RF amp.
It's not loud enough to rattle the trunk but inside it sounds very very nice. (Which was my goal for the Lex)

I can give you model #s if you want them but that's only if you have the stock 10"
Old 09-14-04 | 06:33 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah we have that same stock 10" in the rear deck. What are the numbers on the stuff you used? Do you have any pics?
Old 09-14-04 | 08:20 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Hey John,
I had a few pics a while ago but I have no idea where I stored 'em.
I'll snap a few off for you tomorrow if I have time.

Meanwhile, the sub is model RFP3410 and the amp is 301s
Both are Rockfor Fosgate.

Rockford has a new line-up for 2004 so the old stuff (what you need) has dropped significantly in price.

Here's some examples for ya:
AMP
SUBWOOFER

ALL Rockford 301S AMPS
RFP3410s on eBay

Good luck and I'll get those pics up as soon as I can.

Last edited by SPORTcoupe; 09-14-04 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-15-04 | 08:39 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 10,000

Just save your money for a little longer and get JL Audio

I just ordered a 500/1 JL amp and a 12W6v2 sub, cant wait to get it!!!
Old 09-15-04 | 10:07 AM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

The JL product line is awesome. Except the new e-series stuff. I"m not to fond of it, butthe rest is awesome. The only thing is, is that JL is kinda expected, and i wanted to go a whole different route. I know RF has a good product line, and there are a few others. Was actually thinking about doing an Eclipse set up. I dunno. I'm stuck at this point, and need some help.

John
Old 09-15-04 | 11:36 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Well like I said before, the setup you choose should directly reflect the amount of bass you want.
A JL 12W6v2 with a JL 500/1 amp will rattle your trunk and your teeth.

When I set up my system, I was looking for a little deeper, crisper bass with little dB increase.
I also wanted to keep my trunk empty for other things.
I got what I wanted with my system.

Now that I've realised that we're sponsored by eD (Elemental Design), I highly reccomend their Kv2 series 10" and the NINe.2 amp
Old 09-15-04 | 01:44 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Post Re: Sub/Amp Combo

Originally posted by JohnGS4
What Sub/Amp combo are you running? Pics of install? Looking to do an install. JL is my prefered choice, but too expensive for my budget right now. But have heard that there are plenty of non-JL subs/amps out there that perform just as well if not better. Anybody have this? Thanks

John
There are many options that you can use for amps other than JL - Zapco, PPI, RF, Orion, Xtant, others. I claim that JL has the best bang for the buck. JL is not the very best high-end amp, and is far from cheap junk. Their amps have a good price point for the quality of the electronics guts, the specs, and the features that you get. There's not a lot that's going to sound better (as opposed to equivalent) than JL, unless you get more crazy with the money you put into the system and go with McIntosh, Brax, Arc Audio, or other high-end brands. Many on CL have done this as well. If cost is an issue, one thing you may want to do is get a higher-powered amp from a lower level (i.e. cheaper) manufacturer (more non-distorted headroom), once you find out what woofer you want to run and its power requirements.
As far as speakers go, there are even more options. It depends on your listening goals, what your primary music type is (this dictates how you should set up your system), how much money you have to throw at it, how much you want to hack up your car, whether you want to retain the stock look, etc. What matters most is the design and quality of the install, relative to the GS in your case. How many woofers, where they're positioned, what type of enclosure, how much power, what you're doing with the front cabin speakers, EQ, wiring...these are all things that you should be considering above just the manufacturer of the equipment.
Having said that, the JL W6V2 and W7 are excellent woofers. Stay away from the lower level JL woofers (W0) unless you like loose boomy bass, for rap or whatever.
If you're inclined toward something simple, convenient, and inexpensive, some guys have done a Kicker free-air 10" sub in the stock woofer hole, with a 250-500W amp (I forget the manuf.) that is connected via line-level converter off the existing woofer leads from the stock amp. Just do a search for that for more info. If you need more bass than that, well...step...right this way...
Old 09-15-04 | 01:52 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Engine- So reading from your reply, i take it you are also running the JL W6v2? this is actually my speaker of choice and as a set, the 500/1 JL is my amp of choice. I was basically looking for a different sub/amp combo b/c of how often this is used, but it's really turning out to be my best best. as far as how i want the setup to look, Flat in the back with the amp and sub mounted together, and on the sides flat again with amp mounted. That's basically it, b/c i use my trunk.

John
Old 09-15-04 | 02:19 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

No, although I'm running a 500/1 (and 300/4), I have an Image Dynamics IDMAX 12" as woofer (www.imagedynamicsusa.com). W6V2 good woofer though, better than old W6, has much of W7 technology built into it.
Old 09-16-04 | 11:05 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

How does that IDMAX 12" perform? Specs look really good. How's the sound? Lots of low end bass? or more of a "loud" subwoofer?

John

was actually thinking of this design.
Old 09-17-04 | 07:51 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally posted by JohnGS4
How does that IDMAX 12" perform? Specs look really good. How's the sound? Lots of low end bass? or more of a "loud" subwoofer?
The IDMAX is comparable to the W7, not quite as fancy of a suspension. It reproduces kick drum sounds (not synthesized ones) better than just about anything I've ever heard, so if you listen to rock oriented stuff, it's one of the best choices. There's plenty of low end bass, allright. Great sound quality combined with plenty of bass power. I only run one woofer and I usually peak out at around 130-135 dB SPL. Both the IDMAX and the W7 need lots of current though, to be optimum.

The setup you show above looks great, as long as you're willing to lose the trunk space due to the wall. I really like the black cover, keeps everything stealth. You need to decide what direction you want your woofer firing - in the case above, the rear firing woofer will do a lot of vibrating of the rear of the car. Also can cause resonant frequencies to appear louder in the cabin, something that tends to be good for rap, but not for general SQ. I'm personally a fan of firing the woofer directly into the cabin for SQ, but you'll need to decide for yourself, you should listen to some systems if unsure.

Last edited by engin_ear; 09-17-04 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-17-04 | 09:17 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=bostwick

My single JL10w3 hits pretty hard. Many are surprised that it's just one 10".
Old 09-17-04 | 02:15 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

If it were me I would go with a MAX (IMO very close to the W7 in performance, but a lot cheaper) and power it with an amp from Arc or Tru. This isnt a cheap setup but its not insanely expensive either. JL makes good products, not really great, but good. IMO the company's strength, much like Kicker and RF is marketing and distribution.
Old 09-20-04 | 11:11 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

What about AutoTek Amps? I've heard of them, but never actually heard them. How are they? Anyone out there got 1+? How's it performs?

John