Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Want To Replace Stock With Dynaudio And I Need Help !

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-01, 07:30 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't mind having a switch, someone already told me that I would need a switch.

I had thought of improving sound at first, but my Nakamichi sounds good enough for me and I rarely ever even go up to half the volume, I am satisfied the way it is.

Can I change just the amp so that it has RCA inputs as well? I don't know if I am making any sense by saying that.

Basically, how do I get a good quality mp3 sound to go through my speakers without tape or FM modulator? New amp? New head? Please help !

Thanks in advance !
Old 05-18-01, 08:56 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Best way...new amp and new head unit.

Percy
Old 05-20-01, 07:25 PM
Kevin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Percy,

If the existing crossover for the front doors is a small capacitor inline with the wiring harness do I need to remove this and completely rewire the new tweeter with the crossover provided in the dynaudio system?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 05-20-01, 09:06 PM
Percy

Kevin,

Easiest way to wire up the crossover. Remove the stock tweeter, capacitor and it's wiring harness. Hook up the new crossover and it's connections to the midwoofer and the new tweeter. DO NOT use the old capacitor...it's crossover frequency is too high for the Dyns.

Percy
Old 08-23-04, 01:43 AM
mikee72
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Percy
Kevin,

The stock amp DOES NOT have a built in crossover. Rather, the simple crossover is inline with the wiring harness to the tweeter. Small capacitor.

There are smaller tweeters that may be easier to install but, IMO and IME, they won't give the same effect of the Dynaudio speakers. If you're going to do it right on the first time, I'd highly suggest the Dyns.

Percy
Percy, just to clear, are you saying that the stock SC (I'm assuming "Premium" here, since he didn't mention Nak) amp sends a full-range signal to the 4's, and that they (in addition to the cap on the tweet) have their own passive network? This is a huge detail if I want to go to 6 1/2's and keep the Premium amp and expect to be able to take advantage of the extra midbass.

Or...

Are you simply saying that the front 4's and tweets are run in series, so while the amp provides hi-pass for the 4", it simply can't dictate two different cutoffs? I hope this made sense.
Old 08-23-04, 07:06 AM
Percy

Mikee72,

Not sure about the SC system, but with the GS system (pioneer/nak) the signal is crossed over in two stages. One is at the amp, which passes 100hz and up (so it doesn't blow the 4 inch) and the second stage is at the tweeter itself with a small capacitor.

Percy
Old 08-23-04, 07:36 AM
mikee72
Driver School Candidate

I would have no reason to think that the SC would be any different. I guess it's aftermarket or nothing for me. Bummer.
Old 02-29-08, 08:40 AM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Percy
You're on the right track.
1 MW 190 subwoofer. You can bolt this under the stock deck location with a custom made foam spacer ring. Taking out the old sub will entail some work and that's explained in an older message on this board.

Percy
Can this MW190 be mounted as free air?