Sponsored by:

Inputs To 6 CD Changer OEM Unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-04, 10:05 PM
a13n0rma1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inputs To 6 CD Changer OEM Unit

Hi, I got my 97 Lexus ES300 just under a month ago and I'm already hoping to get some good work done on it.

I've had my computer built into a suitcase for quite some time in anticipation for this car, and was aiming for a car with an aux input, unfortunately I don't think they have such a thing on the ES300, so what do some of you guys do instead? I was consdering mounting an FM modulator in the front ash tray and RCA jacks in the back ash tray [ I keep the computer behind the driver's seat, wedged in with a couple of pillows ], any thoughts on this?

What I need to know is basically how feasible is my idea, what alternatives do I have, and what you've done instead.

I've also heard the stock 8" subwoofer under the rear windshield is specially shaped as to allow for easy installation while not losing size of the speaker itself. The bass of the car goes from clear and refined to "dead fish thump" as soon as you pass maybe 45% on the volume ****, and I'd hope to correct this with my brother's old aluminum 10" sub or an 8", depending on the sizes and styles of boxes I find I can fit in the back without losing too much room in the trunk.

I was also told that I can simply clip the wires from the stock sub, leave the woofer and speaker there, and wire my own sub/amp setup in place of the stock subwoofer. Then drop the armrest and open that small plastic panel behind it to allow for the bass to be heard more clearly. Has anybody tried that and found it unsatisfactory?
Old 09-28-04, 09:14 PM
dentpusher
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the imput, a modulator would work but you may be able to find a input adaptor from soundgate or pac. The sub looses sound quality due to the auto loudness control built into the factory head unit. If you dicide to go with a aftermarket amp and sub the best rought is to pull the factory sub. This will do the same as folding the arm rest down and be more stealth. If your not after a lot of bass than you may consider a aftermarket head unit with a input. This will cost close to the same if not less than putting a sub and amp in and still have to figure out how to get you input in the factory radio. You can wire the car so the factroy sub still works and end up with better sound quality than the factory radio gave you.