Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Home Audio

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-01, 05:11 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey guys, for my b-day this year i'm hooking up my room with a home audio system, plus with another 1500 i have saved:

27" Sony WEGA TV
550 Watt Sony Reciver
2 Sony Floor Speakers with 2 61/2" Woofers and a tweeter

here's my question, i know sony speakers aren't that great, i'd love to get dynaudio ones (went to their website) for surround sound speakers, but i was looking at these JBL surround sound speakers (center, rear right and rear left) and they look good 100-150 (150 is center channel) Watt power handling, i put out 110 a channel x 5 channels on my reciver, so would these JBL surrounds be good? i think they are called the northridge or something

plus i'm hooking up my stock sub to the reciver's subwoofer out hookup, to a DIGITAL OUT on my sub. i'm hooking it up through i single RCA, could you guys please explain what the hell DIGITAL OUT means and if it will work if plugged to a reciver? the sony guy said it would work, thanks
Old 04-19-01, 05:38 AM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sasha,

I've been observing your posts for a while & I think you have too much time & money on your hands. Why don't you let me ''help you'' spend them for you!!!?? LOL

Just bein' a smart @$$
Old 04-19-01, 08:18 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Home Audio

Sasha,

your concerns about the Sony's are right on, the JBL's will be a little bit better. Any of the stuff you can buy at a Circuit City/Wiz/Best Buy, is never going to be "audiophile" quality stuff. But you can get some really good sounding things, if you are looking for HT stuff here are a couple of things you can try - listen to (bring your own cd's there's nothing worse than a salesman who forces you to listen to his reference music) Infinity, I have these and really like them (same family as JBL--owned by Harman Kardon), try B&W, Mission, Polk Audio, Boston Acoustics. The last 4 are a bit more pricey, but I think the best bang for your buckis the Infinity set-up. Stay away from Bose and stay away from "satellite" speaker setups. You can also get alot of really good advice from these websites:

http://www.homethaterforum.com
http://www.homethatertalk.com (Mike Knapp) the guy that runs the site is an absolute fanatic and really good guy, I've purchased used equipment from him before and he is 100% stand-up guy.
http://www.audioreview.com If you wanna talk offline shoot me an e-mail. My friends say I'm in the wrong business 'cause I can talk HT all day long.
Old 04-19-01, 10:31 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

thanx man, i'll look into those websites. i just wanted a small system i could build on.

lexyf - hehe thanx man, well i dont' know if you know aobut the whole Torque Converter thing, but i had to send it back cause it doesn't fit, so i'm getting my money back, plus my birthday landed me some cash. and i'm spending it on Home Theatre just cause my mom doens't really want me doing more to her car for a while. Time, well you make time for the things you love

(trust me i don't love school )
Old 04-21-01, 12:34 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

i got my system! the TV looks WAY bigger than 27" and the speakers are GREAT, way more bass than i thought, and much clearer than my computer sub. but the problem is i can't hook up my computer sub to it which puts out loads of bass. oh well i guess i'll get a velodyne 10" or 12" sub and a center/rear setup when the money comes, not for a while in other words. pictures soon.