Sponsored by:

Key programming difficulties - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-04, 08:43 PM
ruski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key programming difficulties - HELP

I can't seem to be able to program my 2001 RX300 keys.

I have the master key. Actually the ***original*** master key's plastic cracked and dealer replaced it under warranty. But I guess it is still considered a master.

The other set of keys had been lost a long time ago.

So I bought a new transponder key blank from e-bay and had it cut, I also bought a valet key from Lexus-Parts.com.

I had no problems programming the remote keyless entry.

And the transponder programming steps don't look very difficult, but I can't make it work (neither the new transponder key nor the valet).

These are the steps that I followed from https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=key:
Lexus 1999-2003 RX 300 Key Programming - For NEW CUT KEYS
Process works with all keys - remotes, valet, non-remotes

1. Enter the car with a working pre-programmed key and close all doors. Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and the accelerator pedals.
2. Within 5 seconds, insert the working pre-programmed key into the ignition. DO NOT TURN THE KEY.
3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the ignition key, depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.
4. Within 20 seconds, depress and release the brake pedal 6 times.
5 Within 10 seconds, remove the working pre-programed key from the ignition.
6. Within 10 seconds, insert the pre-programmed key back into the ignition.
7. Depress and release the accelerator pedal one time. The security light should now begin flashing to indicate that the computer is reading the new key and programming the system.
8. Leave the new key in the ignition for at least 60 seconds. When the security light stops flashing, the programming process should be complete.
9. Test the new key. Place the key into the ignition and verify that the SUV will start.
10. If this is a new remote master key, test the remote functions on the new key.

I have no problems with steps 1-7. But then I keep the new key in the ignition for a looooong time and the security light never stops flashing.

Oh, by the way, shouldn't step #6 say "insert the new key into the ignition" instead of "insert the pre-programmed key back into the ignition"?
Old 09-23-04, 09:23 PM
ruski
Driver School Candidate

never mind,

I went and did it again, and it worked fine, both new keys got programmed. I did all the steps just like I was doing before.
Old 09-26-04, 09:35 AM
sc300n00b
Pole Position

Where did you get your ebay blank cut? My dealer said they could not, and none of the big local stores (sears etc) could do it either
Old 09-26-04, 05:41 PM
Whitestrok
Driver School Candidate

Default Key

Is the preprogrammed key the new key?
Old 09-30-04, 08:18 PM
ruski
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Key

Originally posted by Whitestrok
Is the preprogrammed key the new key?
no the pre-programmed key is the original master key. The one that you haven't lost.

The instructions should say "new" instead of "pre-programmed" in step #6
Old 09-30-04, 08:24 PM
ruski
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by sc300n00b
Where did you get your ebay blank cut? My dealer said they could not, and none of the big local stores (sears etc) could do it either
Through some forums or newsgroups I found this guy who cuts keys. You send him a blank and a good picture of the original. He cuts that blank for $20-$25. I couldn't believe that it would work but the guy must have a real talent. I sent him my VIN number too, maybe he has a database of the keys by VIN numbers (and pulling my leg about cutting them from a picture).

He also sells blanks on eBay and if people request he cuts them for an additional fee right then.

His name is Wayne Officer (or Offeceer). His e-mail address is wolftng@hotmail.com

P.S. some local locksmith wanted to charge me $70 to cut a key and got all defensive when I made a comment that that was a bit too steep, started telling me how his laser precision cutting equipment cost him thousands of dollars.