Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

To the Guru's... How do you feel about Kicker??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-01, 04:19 AM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Percy, Gene and everyone :

I am trying to get my stereo squared away and I wanted to ask ya'll a few questions. First of all, I'd like you to note, this is what is going in...

ALPINE IVA-C800 Video Head Unit
ALPINE ERA-G320 Equalizer

Now here comes the questions... How much will the EQ help me in tuning my car?? Is it worth the money??

KICKER 12" L7 Subwoofers (2)
KICKER DX1400 Amplifer

I'm going to run 2 12" Kicker L7 (square) subs on the rear deck with a DX (I THINK that's what it's called) 1400 watt amp. Now, the guy seeling me this told me he can give me an even better deal on SPEAKERS (front & rear) if I go with Kicker also.

Are the Kicker speakers any good?? Has anyone had any experience with them??

SONY PLAYSTATION 2 (HOPEFULLY)

If I can get my hands on one (WHICH ISN'T EZ), and I have the extra money for the install, I'm going to put it in... Who knows, I could be the first CLUB LEXUS member with a PS2 in my GS!! However, where would I put it?? Trunk?? Under passenger seat??

Any suggestions or anything for my system are welcomed and appreciated. I want to get EVERYTHING squared away so that when I'm ready to do it, I'm CERTAIN I'm getting EVERYTHING I want!!

==Justin==
Platinum 2G GS4
Old 04-22-01, 09:41 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Justin,

Get rid of the ERAG320. That unit SUCKS majorly. I had that one before and the 320 just introduces noise, cuts down signal to noise ratio and they have a wierd delay problem due to the DSP that they're using, even when the unit is set for flat. STAY FAR AWAY from the ERAG320. Worst piece, IMO, that they've EVER made. The PXAH600 (new processor) also stinks. They say it has parametric (it does) but it's so limited that it's not even worth considering.

L7's also stink. Stick with the round speakers as they actually require less power for the same volume. Plus, the square shape of the L7's will actually cause the cone to flex in a few spots causing more demand on the amp. I've heard of MANY L7's blowing out...not a good thing.

I like the PS2 though!

Percy

Old 04-22-01, 12:33 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Kicker

Justin - Ditto on that EQ. Go back & read Percy's words to Marken about a graphic vs parametric equalizer & U'll see that the parametric is world's better for tuning! Kicker amps aren't too bad ( will run into low impedances but I don't recall them being very efficient ). I also have seen a few L-7's crack around the edges. I know Mark Eldridge is running them but he's HEAVILY sponsored by Stillwater!! Don't even begin to think that his woofer's are the same as U can buy for yourself, either - major mods!! Don't see how a square woofer can accurately reproduce a sound wave. I understand that the square shape will give a larger cone area but how much of that area is usable? Now even Bazooka has a rectangular-shaped woofer!! I look at them as more of a marketing gimmick than an advancement in audio technology. Your installer should give U a package deal if U buy lots of ANYTHING, whether it's all Kicker or a mixture. It's called volume sales!! Never been a game freak so you're on your own with the PS2 - good luck!
Old 04-22-01, 02:39 PM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

OK, well I need some help now then!! What do you guys suggest for me?? As far as a head unit goes, I WANT the Alpine IVA-C800. Other than that, I'm open to whatever fits and works. (I'm keepin the PS2 too)

I'm sure you guys know me. I'm the guy that wants to blow off his trunk lid with bass!! LOL J/K So what woofer is good for that?? What would you suggest for me to buy as far as amp goes. I'm an SPL guy at heart!! (Once I go almost deaf, I'm sure I'll turn into an SQ guy)

I WAS going to put in Alpines DVD player and mount it under the IVA-C800 unit. Since I'm going with a PS2, I don't need the Alpine DVD. However, I want to put something (like an EQ) in that area under the head unit. What EQ do you recommend??

To recap:

What woofers should I use for the HUGE BASS??
What amp should I get to run them POWERFULLY and efficiently?? (I'm hoping for 140+ db's)

What EQ should I look into?? I want one that's compatible with the Alpine IVA-C800 and one that will fit under it!!

Price is of concern to me (unfortunately). I want the BIGGEST BASS for my money. I was quoted $2000 for 2 Kicker L7's w/ the DX1400 amp INSTALLED. If you can get me something that's better for less, than that's great... But just make sure it's AROUND $2000 for the bass...
I'm don't know what a GOOD EQ will run me, so just make sure it's not TOO EXPENSIVE!! Thanx guys.

==Justin==
Platinum 2G GS4
Old 04-22-01, 02:47 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Justin, I don't want to burst your bubble but someone already has a PS2 installed in their GS400. Let me know if you run into difficulty finding a PS2 b/c they are plentiful here on East Coast, specifically the Washington DC area.

Damn, just got back from the Beach over by the Chesapeake Bay & it felt good to hit some sand. I had a lot of people gockin @ my Lex. I gues those newly polished chrome wheels & Swift Racing decals had something to do with it.

Marken, aka "Lexlyf"
CMO, Swift Racing Technologies
http://www.swiftracing.com
"Be afraid....be very afraid!":eek: :eek:
Old 04-22-01, 02:50 PM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

DAMN!! Well I'd like to talk to the person who has it already. I'd like to know where he mounted it and how it's working out for him so far. So if your out there, CONTACT ME!!

==Justin==
Platinum 2G GS4
Old 04-22-01, 03:08 PM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

I was just flippin through a Crutchfield Magazine and came across the RF woofers!! I LOVE the look of them and they sound great!! Gene, dont' you run RF??

I like the Power HX2's but the Punch HX2's are more in my price range. What do you have Gene?? What amp do you run to everything?? What SPL are you hittin??

I was thinking something like this :

2 12" RF Punch HX2's (500w RMS) $500
1 RF Power 1000.2 (500w x 2 @ 2 ohms) $1000
Installation $500

Is that about right?? Would I be pushing the subs too hard with that amp?? Should I get my 140+dbs??

Any suggestions on this combo would be great. If I can get a better deal than the one stated, let me know!!

==Justin==
Platinum 2G GS4

Now I just gotta see how much the EQ is gunna cost me
Old 04-22-01, 11:53 PM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Master P and G Money,

I just thought I'd add a little info. I went to a new stereo shop in my area and got some price quotes. I talked to the manager of the store for almost an hour cuz he just bought a new LS430!! He loved my Lex and helped give me a good deal. This is what he quoted me for

Alpine IVA-C800
2 12" RF HX2's
1 RF Power 1000.2 amp

This seems like an incredible deal to me. I didn't ask him about an EQ because I was waiting for some feedback from you guys. I want to get an EQ that will be compatable with the Alpine head unit and something that will fit in the area where the head unit will be (to fill up that whole area)!!

Let me know what you think of this and your overall imporessions. A list of a few good EQ's to look into would be nice too......

Thanks guys..

==Justin==
Platinum 2G GS4
2 15" Kicker Comp VR's
Quest Pedals
Old 04-23-01, 07:47 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Talking Copycat!!

Justin - Did this new shop go to my friend's website & steal my system?! What he suggested is EXACTLY what I'm running!! I've got a Power 1100a2 ( in a 2 ohm stereo load ) powering a pair of 12" HX2's in a 2.84 cubic foot sealed box. BTW - Unless RF changed their product line recently, the HX2's are still the Punch series ( only the DVC's are Power models ). I've tweaked about all I can on the SPL & hit 140.2 last weekend in a USAC meet in Arkansas. I also have (2) 1 farad Stinger caps to support things. Learn from my mistakes - although the Power DVC's look mean, they AREN'T designed for use in a sealed box, plus they're current hogs!! Talked to Ainsley Fukuda about that ( brother of Mark F. - former multiple time World's SPL champ in USAC ) & he said they need a big ported box to make pressure, plus a Power 1100a2 or the new bd1000 on EACH woofer!! Told ya they were hogs!!! If I remember an earlier post from U about that used equipment, might be just the thing for U since U were willing to give up a larger portion of your trunk than I am? In theory, U could pick up 3 dB's from just going with the larger vented box but I'm afraid the extra money to step up to DVC's wouldn't leave U enough for another amp & they do need one apiece. Remember that I tried to run 2 DVC's on the single Power 1100a2 & the woofers looked like they weren't moving!! ( Big a** magnets!! ). If U want to play, U gotta pay!! Let me know which way U go & I can call Ainsley about the optimum setup based on your choice of woofers/amps & how much trunk room U'd be willing to lose if U'd like. BTW - HE hit 151 dB with two 12" DVC's with a 1100a2 on each in a Blazer just playing around but the box was huge! Also - by the time your hearing's gone, it's too late to become an SQ guy!! LOL!!!!!
Old 04-23-01, 11:23 PM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Gene,

Thanks for the post!! I can't believe you're running the same thing I might get. BTW, the RF line did change!! I'm sitting in front of the WINTER/SPRING 2001 edition of Crutchfield Magazine and it's talking about the "new" RF line. http://www.crutchfield.com

There are 5 total different woofers.

These I won't bother with:
PUNCH
PUNCH HE
PUNCH HE2

These are the good woofers:
PUNCH HX2 (DVC) 12" 135-500 rms 1000 peak 26-200 htz 88db
POWER HX2 (DVC) 12" 150-1000 rms 2000 peak 24-400 htz 88db

I don't know how your woofers compare but these sound great!! They're new look is VERY NICE TOO!!

So, what do you think of these?? I would go with the PUNCH HX2's and the Power 1100a2 amp like you have. The 12" for the PunchHX2 says it needs 1.25 cu.ft for a sealed box and 2.0-2.5 cu.ft for a ported box. If I put mine where you have yours, on that ledge, would they have enough room?? What kinda SPL would I get from these?? Like you know, I want to run 140+.... Is there anyway??

Thanx for all your help thus far!! I look forward to see what you have to say

==Justin==
Platinum 2G GS4
2 15" Kicker Comp VR's
Quest Pedals
Chrome Shift Bezel
Old 04-24-01, 12:19 AM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Gene,

I also need some advice on the EQ!! Like I told you, I want a unit that will fit under the video head unit up front so it can fill up that space up there. Let me know if there are any digital EQ's that are compatible with the Alpine head unit I'm getting...

Thanks...

==Justin==
Platinum 2G GS4
2 15" Kicker Comp VR
Quest Pedals
Chrome Shift Bezel
MORE TO COME SOON!!...
Old 04-24-01, 07:35 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up HX2's

Justin - Like I mentioned, I hit 140.2 with my setup BUT I don't think YOU will be happy with just barely over the magic 140 mark. My box is maxed out up to that ledge & wall to wall & 2.84 cubic feet is my internal volume. Based on the Punch HX2 specs ( also the ones I have ), mine is a perfect size for a sealed box. At 2+ cubic feet/woofer in a ported enclosure, don't think U'll have room for a vented one w/o going beyond that ledge & that's what it'll take, IMO, to get U into the lower/mid 140's where I think U'll be happier! Don't get the Power HX2's - they're only slightly smaller ( magnet-wise ) than the Power DVC's & better designed for a sealed box but will still need some serious power to move them - maybe a Power 800a2 on each to make it worth doing. I'll call Ainsley & see what he recommends in terms of cubic footage & port size/length to meet your goals. Let me do some research on the EQ or go back to Percy's recommendations to Marken on an earlier post. I run the Symmetry w/28 band EQ card but it's not a true parametric & one of those would be best. If all U want is BOOM, just use the passive crossovers that come with whatever components U choose for the doors. Gotta feeling that the components will be drowned out by the 12's anyway!!
Old 04-24-01, 08:52 AM
sc505
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down kicker L7's sucks

On my sc400 I use to have set up 2 12"L7's powered by a BD1000a1 runing at 4 ohms with 250w each to woofer in a sealed box with an internal volume .88 cu ft . I blew 3 L'7woofers. No one is able to explain why. On all 3 woofers the voice coil separated from the woofer. Apparently the glue that connects the voice coil with the woofer gave in. I finally got tired of going back to the stereo shop and finally sued them.. I now runmy BD1000a1 @ 2ohms with 2 eclipse 15" SVC's (500w each) I like them alot better. They are more accurate, better SQ than the L7's. I have checked other people reviews in carriew.com about the L7's. Some praise it, and some have had bad nightmare's like I did.

Dont know I though you should just now L7's have poor build quality
Old 04-24-01, 11:53 PM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Default NEW SPL RECORD

I heard from a good friend the other day that Kicker WILL set a new SPL record with their L7 woofers.

He told me that some woman who is HEAVILY sponosored by Stillwater put up an UNOFFICIAL 180something rating with all L7 woofers and Kicker amps. He didn't know the EXACT combo or EXACT DB rating, but he said they will soon be the new SPL RECORD HOLDERS!!

I thougth, when I heard this, I was makin the right decision for subwoofers, but I guess not!! I'm sure the woofers she used aren't like the L7's I would buy, but still, they are POWERFUL and only require a SMALL ENCLOSURE. But what's the point of spending all that money to have your subs blow?!?!

Anyways, I think I'm going with the new RF woofers and amps. I don't know what I"m gunna go with yet.... Either 2 HX2's with 1 Power1000.2 amp or 2 power HX2's with 2 800.2 amps.... I just hope I got the cheddar for that...

Like Gene says, "you have to pay to play!!"

==Justin==
Platinum 2G GS4

Old 04-25-01, 12:13 AM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Gene,

I was kinda confused about your post. What do you think I should get? The NORMAL HX2's or the POWER HX2's?? They are BOTH dvc(dual voice coil) but the Power HX2's can handle 1000watts rms compared to the NORMAL HX2 woofers 500watts rms rating. I'd like to go with the POWER HX2's (and 2 800.2 amps) but I don't think I'll have the dough for that!! I am more interested in getting wheels, exhaust, tc, intake, lowering, ect. ect. than pickin up a few db's!! I THINK?!?!

I might be happy with the 140 mark!! I just don't wanna get ANY LOWER than that. So, if you can help me run a consitent 140, I think I'll be happy!! Hey, maybe with 140, I can still have SOME SQ!?!?!?

==Justin==
Platinum 2G GS4

Is there any digital eq that's good and compatible?? I wanna put SOMETHING under the head unit. I dont' want to just have SPACE under there!?!?!

Quick Reply: To the Guru's... How do you feel about Kicker??