Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Usac

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-01, 02:30 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This past Saturday I went up to College Station to visit a friend of mine that worked at a Car audio shop called Soundwaves (actually it is in Brayan). Well that weekend there was also a USAC event and my friend entered my car in the ameteur SQ just for the hell of it.
I placed 1st! I won barely, lost points for no pics of install and no aftermarket alarm system. I SPL out at 130.4 (planning to sell my JL W3's so didn't want to blow them). Now my boy wants to redo my whole car and take my car to bigger USAC events.
OK, my question for the big audio boys are:
1. Should I go aftermarket alarm? If so which and how hard is it to install while dismantling the factory alarm?
2. What dry cell battery should I get?
3. Should I bore some more holes in the back dash to let more bass through? I only have a hole where the factory Sub use to be.
Really appreciate all the help.
Old 04-23-01, 03:40 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Another One!!

Lou - Welcome to the world of competition!! Hope ya have deep pockets! LOL!! Since Directed Electronics bought Clifford, try using either a Viper or Clifford alarm - both are excellent ( I have a Viper 800 ). Pretty straightforward to install but have your man take his time & do it right - lots of theft in Houston ( unfortunately, I found out the hard way! ). Optima is the ONLY way to go for a battery & I'd defintely open up the back deck to allow so more pressure into the cabin. Don't know who does you work but if ya REALLY want to win & have those deep pockets, drive over to Humble & leave your car with Expressive Audio. They've built several USAC World champs in the last few years - even dethroned Mark Eldridge one year & he's a multi-time World champ. Good luck & maybe I'll see ya in some Deep South event or the next time U Houston guys have a meet!
Old 04-23-01, 05:49 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Talking Not there yet!

Thanks MG!
I don't think I'll be at your level anytime soon.
This is just really for fun and certainly my pocket isn't deep.
Good thing my friend hooks me up. The owner is really cool and doesn't care much that I pay cost and install is free because my friend is cool like that.
All the work done on my car was done by me and him and some beers so I say we kinda know our stuff in installing.
It just feels a lot better when your the one who made the car the way it is, instead of paying for it (a lot cheaper too).
So basicly I should go aftermarket alarm you say?
I never done a install on a alarm before.
Do I have to do anything special to the factory alarm before install?
Thanks,
Old 04-24-01, 02:05 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Wink Nothing Special

Lou - I use both the factory alarm & my Viper. The wife can't figure out the Viper so I let her use it & I stick with the Viper for me. The 800 was more for the expansion module I need to run the actuators, neon & other things in my audio system than outright protection as I live in a good area with 2 cops for neighbors ( plus I do the Glock drive-by; oops, I mean drive-along thing!! ). They don't work too well together, though. By this I mean that if the wife uses the factory alarm & I don't disarm it first, then the Viper goes off when I try to activate it. Not too hard to get used to.