Sponsored by:

Help - Tweeters Cut In and Out

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-04, 12:25 AM
APU6speed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help - Tweeters Cut In and Out

I have Boston Acoustic Pros 6.5 in the front doors of my GS400. I notice that both of the tweeters will cut out at normal listening volumes (sometimes they cut out together and sometimes they cut out independently). To get them to come back, I have to turn up the volume for a brief second. There's nothing wrong with the woofers. I don't think there is anything wrong with the tweeter since they are both acting like this. Also, I don't think there's anything wrong with the crossovers since I had them replaced. My crossovers are located in the trunk of the car. Would this have anything to do with my tweeters cutting in and out? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-10-04, 06:33 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Definitely sounds like a bad connection somwhere. It's kind of weird that it goes on and off intermittently, but here's what I think. Did you check the connections on the back of the tweeters? The reason I ask is because I have Boston Acoustics SL60 6.5s in my front doors and I noticed that the plugs on the end of the tweeter wires are horrible. They simply would not hold the tweeter terminals firmly at all. I ended up cutting them off completely, stripping the wire and threading the wire directly through the holes in the terminals. I then wrapped the wire around the terminal a few times and covered the back of it with electrical tape.

As for your crossovers located in the trunk, I feel your pain. The Boston crossovers are absolutely huge (I assume the Pros are about the same as the SLs). Here's a link to my recent install. I figured out a way to keep the crossovers in the doors -- something you might want to consider. Either way, let me know what happens with the tweeters.

e-man

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=diy+speaker
Old 10-14-04, 10:15 AM
J R
Driver

6.5 in the front? Aren't the front and rears on a GS 4" ? was it hard to put together a 6.5" bracket? how's the sound ?
Old 10-14-04, 06:57 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Hey JR. Here's a link to my install:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=diy+speaker

To be honest, they sound fine. I was hoping for more. Part of the problem is that I listen mostly to radio and I get really terrible reception. I've tried almost everything. I've had the head unit replaced, I added an am/fm signal amplifier. I have two more things to try: (1) make sure the antenna connections are secure at the rear window; and (2) remove the rear window tint. It's so frustrating, because the speakers sound great with CDs, but absolutely terrible with the radio. I'm at the point now where I would be happy to plug in an aftermarket antenna and attach it to the roof of my car. I just haven't found any place that sells them.

Let me know if you have any questions about the install. I'd be glad to help.

e-man
Old 10-15-04, 12:49 AM
APU6speed
Driver

e-man,

Great write-up/pics of your speaker swap. I'm thinking about redoing my speaker install since your installation looks cleaner. Last time I had my door panels off, I checked the connections on the tweeters and they were fine. I'll check them again. I have a theory that the long run to the crossovers in the trunk may be creating a weaker signal to the tweeters. I'll try putting the crossovers in the door panels.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone else with ideas on my tweeter problem.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by APU6speed; 10-15-04 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-15-04, 08:46 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Thanks, Mike. Just out of curiousity, other than the tweeters cutting out, how does your system sound? Do you find the Bostons a little bright?
Old 10-15-04, 04:46 PM
APU6speed
Driver

I'm a big fan of Boston Acoustics. I have them for my home system too. I don't think they sound too bright and they're a definite improvement over the stock speakers. I also considered MB Quart, but I did find them to be much brighter. A lot of people on ClubLexus swear by Dynaudio, but I couldn't justify spending that much on car speakers.
Old 10-15-04, 04:53 PM
APU6speed
Driver

I'm a big fan of Boston Acoustics. I have them for my home system too. I don't think they sound too bright and they're a definite improvement over the stock speakers. I also considered MB Quart, but I did find them to be much brighter. A lot of people on ClubLexus swear by Dynaudio, but I couldn't justify spending that much on car speakers.
Old 10-15-04, 05:53 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

I feel the same way about Dynaudio. I'm sure they're very good, but they just didn't fit within my budget. By the way, do you have the Pioneer or Nakamichi?