Sponsored by:

Rear speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-04, 01:35 PM
RSS4665
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear speakers

I recently purchased a 92 SC400 and the Nakamichi stereo and the 12 CD changer were replaced about a year ago by the local dealer (every service was done by Hennessy Lexus!), but the rear speakers and the subwoofer do not work. So...
1. Do you HAVE TO remove the rear seat to access the speakers?
2. Is there any way of determining if it's the speakers and not the amplifier?
3. What exactly is the replacement size for the rear speakers?
4. Has anyone had them replaced by any of the big stores ( Best Buy, Circuit City, HiFi Buys?)
Thanks for ANY input!
Old 10-11-04, 01:43 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Rear speakers

Originally posted by RSS4665
I recently purchased a 92 SC400 and the Nakamichi stereo and the 12 CD changer were replaced about a year ago by the local dealer (every service was done by Hennessy Lexus!), but the rear speakers and the subwoofer do not work. So...
4. Has anyone had them replaced by any of the big stores ( Best Buy, Circuit City, HiFi Buys?)
Thanks for ANY input!
1) Yes, you need to remove the rear bench first, then unbolt the rear seat backing. Then you can remove the rear deck carpeting

2) Hook up your new speakers to the amp, if they don't work its the amp.

3) I replaced mine a while ago... I think 3 1/2 inches

4) Yes, I got some RCA replacements from Future Shop (Best Buy Equiv).
Old 10-11-04, 01:52 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rear speakers

Originally posted by RSS4665
Thanks for ANY input!
That's funny, all my rears have been replaced and the rear seat was never removed, we just went in through the trunk and worked there and above the rear parcel shelf, no removal of the rear seats was necessary. I have a 92 SC by the way. Here's a link that shows speaker sizes: http://www.walmart.com/promos/stereo/Lexus.pdf

I would never let Good Guys, Circuit City, or any of those places touch my car. I've had bad experiences with them and their techs are usually underpaid and lacking technical installation savvy, not a good combo. Just to give you a quick answer the rear speakers on your car are 4's with a 10 inch sub in the middle. I have read about individuals who were able to squeeze 6 1/2's into the rear parcel shelf, just requires a little cutting. As always use the "SEARCH" function and you'll find answers quickly and in abundance

Last edited by mikeloc24; 10-12-04 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-11-04, 02:17 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

on my car, fronts are 4"

rears are 5.25 w/ 10" woofer
Old 10-12-04, 05:00 AM
jcm3
Pole Position

Cant see you to remove the rear speakers w/o taking the rear parcel shelf off. In order to take the raer parcel shelf off you need to take the rear seat out (there 2 push plugs that hold the parcel on thats located behind the top of the rear seatback). 5.25 in the rears fit perfectly.
Old 10-12-04, 07:10 AM
TeeDub
Driver

Are you sure... What about just pulling out the lining in the trunk that is held on with 4 little metal clips?

Or is that just the easy way to get to the sub and gas tank?
Old 10-12-04, 07:22 AM
jcm3
Pole Position

The mounting bolts are located on the top of the parcel shelf not on the bottom. Pulling out the liner get you access to the bottom of the speakers and the gas tank.
Old 10-12-04, 07:58 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The speakers are 4" all around (front doors and the rear deck fills). In the rears, the speakers sit in little pods that raise them up about 1.5-2". If you get rid of those, you can fit bigger speakers. I replaced the OEM speakers with a pair of 6.5" Boston Pros into the pods by boring out the hole. Another option is to mount them directly into the deck but that might require some cutting of sheetmetal.

If you just want to replace the speakers, they are 4" and most will pop right in. Please get a decent pair of speakers, and not just the $49.99 special from BestBuy.

The NAK sub is a 10" freeair and is rated for 5 Ohm. The Pioneer in the premium stereo is a 10" also, but is 1 Ohm, so they are not interchangeable. The NAK subs pop up on ebay every now and then, so I would start there.
Old 10-14-04, 01:02 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally posted by T0ked
The speakers are 4" all around (front doors and the rear deck fills). In the rears, the speakers sit in little pods that raise them up about 1.5-2". If you get rid of those, you can fit bigger speakers. I replaced the OEM speakers with a pair of 6.5" Boston Pros into the pods by boring out the hole. Another option is to mount them directly into the deck but that might require some cutting of sheetmetal.

If you just want to replace the speakers, they are 4" and most will pop right in. Please get a decent pair of speakers, and not just the $49.99 special from BestBuy.

The NAK sub is a 10" freeair and is rated for 5 Ohm. The Pioneer in the premium stereo is a 10" also, but is 1 Ohm, so they are not interchangeable. The NAK subs pop up on ebay every now and then, so I would start there.
100% correct i just replaced everything except the tweeters!

CEO