Sponsored by:

Installing TV Headrests - Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-04, 10:51 AM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installing TV Headrests - Question

Just curious how you guys with monitors in your headrests ran the cable thru the headrest shaft. Did you cut the Svideo plug off the cable and re-splice it? I really don't want to cut it and change the resistance of the cable. Also the part that the headrest shafts enter the seat (with the height adjustment on one of them) is also too small to fit the svideo plug thru, any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 10-15-04, 06:57 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont need to run the cable thru the post. You can cut a little opening for the connector to go thru.
Old 10-17-04, 02:31 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Installing TV Headrests - Question

Originally posted by Stealther
Just curious how you guys with monitors in your headrests ran the cable thru the headrest shaft. Did you cut the Svideo plug off the cable and re-splice it? I really don't want to cut it and change the resistance of the cable. Also the part that the headrest shafts enter the seat (with the height adjustment on one of them) is also too small to fit the svideo plug thru, any suggestions?

Thanks!
Don't need to cut the factory plug.

Run a new cable to through the post. Then solder a female video plug on one end and a male plug on the other end. This way you just plug the monitor cable to this new wire. Note: There is no issue with resistance if you did cut the factory plug.

BTW, do you really mean svideo or just composite? Composite would require a coax cable. S-video would be 4 conductor. A lot more tricky.

If you aren't up to doing this then run the wire on the outside of the post and then run it under the seat grommet.. That's your only other choice. Atleast till they come up with wireless headrest monitors.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 10-17-04 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-17-04, 10:22 AM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Installing TV Headrests - Question

Originally posted by RMMGS4
Don't need to cut the factory plug.

Run a new cable to through the post. Then solder a female video plug on one end and a male plug on the other end. This way you just plug the monitor cable to this new wire. Note: There is no issue with resistance if you did cut the factory plug.

BTW, do you really mean svideo or just composite? Composite would require a coax cable. S-video would be 4 conductor. A lot more tricky.

If you aren't up to doing this then run the wire on the outside of the post and then run it under the seat grommet.. That's your only other choice. Atleast till they come up with wireless headrest monitors.
I never thought about soldering a new cable for the post run, I might have to look into that. Yes, it is a svideo cable that comes from the monitor that plugs into an adapter that splits it for power/ground and composite video. Kinda odd to me but then again this is the first headrest monitor I've had.

When you say run the wire under the seat grommet, do you mean the part that the headrests mount onto the seats (the part with the headrest height adjustment)? I tried to pull that part out with no success, do I need a special tool? Thanks for the help!
Old 10-17-04, 06:47 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Installing TV Headrests - Question

I never thought about soldering a new cable for the post run, I might have to look into that. Yes, it is a svideo cable that comes from the monitor that plugs into an adapter that splits it for power/ground and composite video. Kinda odd to me but then again this is the first headrest monitor I've had.
OK, to clarify what i think you're saying. The plug is S-type but the wires are power ground and coax/composite, NOT true S-video signal. Purchase a female version of that s-plug and solder a small diameter coax to the video pins and just run straight power / ground wire to the other two pins. You could even run power / ground down one post and coax down the other. Most good coax cable is around 1/4 inch in diameter, but MonsterCable makes a coax that has large composite plugs connected to a very thin coax. Thin, but high quality. You would need to cut off one head though in order to snake it through the post, but then you would just solder the bare wires to the s-video female plug anyway.

When you say run the wire under the seat grommet, do you mean the part that the headrests mount onto the seats (the part with the headrest height adjustment)? I tried to pull that part out with no success, do I need a special tool? Thanks for the help!
It's been a while since I messed with that grommet. Since I ran my wires through the post, I didn't have to go under the grommet, but I'm just suggesting that's how people go about it. You might have to slightly cut the leather material in order to get it to fit under the grommet. Maybe someone else who has done this, can provide their input.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 10-17-04 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-21-04, 08:40 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What monitors do you have?
Runnig the wire thru the post is a little more work but it'll be really clean looking.
Irf the outside diameter of that main cable frrmthe monitoris 5mm it'll fit down the post. you'll have to cut off the end to route it & solder it back. My $.02