Sponsored by:

RX300 (or simiilar) Navigation Update Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-04, 01:16 PM
dzar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX300 (or simiilar) Navigation Update Problem

Hi all... I recently tried to update my 2001 RX300 with the V3.1 DVD and it did properly recognize the disk and then update the firmware. The problem is that something must have gone wrong as some features now don't work at all. For example, I cannot enter a destination (it's grayed out).

Does anyone know a way to "reset" the system so that it reloads firmware from the DVD (either to retry the 3.1 verison or go back to my previous version)? I'm guessing there is an EEPROM in the unit that can be reset (I'm an EE so this doesn't scare me) but I'd like to know if there's any hope before ripping things apart.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-25-04, 05:28 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

be sure to check the service bullitins posted on this club. there is a august 5 2002 bullitin el010-02 which says once you install the next version of the dvd you cant go back and use the previous. they also list changes that occur depending on the map data and the upgraded navigation unit.
Old 10-25-04, 05:48 PM
dzar
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by lexusaudio
be sure to check the service bullitins posted on this club. there is a august 5 2002 bullitin el010-02 which says once you install the next version of the dvd you cant go back and use the previous. they also list changes that occur depending on the map data and the upgraded navigation unit.
This much I know. What I don't see any answers to is what happens when the update fails (as it seems to have done on mine). I don't really want to go back, but I do want the new version to work!

Dave
Old 10-26-04, 07:07 PM
dzar
Driver School Candidate

Default Problem Solved?

Well, as an update, things are working for me, now. I made a backup copy of the DVD so I could keep the original in my home (safe and sound). Today I thought that maybe there was a problem with that disk and tried the original and it worked fine. Interestingly, I have a Sienna minivan, also, and it runs off its copy just fine. Oh well... live and learn!

Dave

P.S. I did a lot of snooping at service manuals and such and it appears that the Lexus solution is to replace the ECU. Argh... glad I didn't need to go that route!
Old 10-27-04, 11:32 AM
LarryF
Rookie

Dave,

Previous posts on CL about making a backup of the Nav DVD said that the DVD is a dual layer disc. Do you have a dual layer DVD burner? If not, that would explain why your backup didn't work.
Old 10-28-04, 08:04 PM
dzar
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by LarryF
Dave,

Previous posts on CL about making a backup of the Nav DVD said that the DVD is a dual layer disc. Do you have a dual layer DVD burner? If not, that would explain why your backup didn't work.
Yes, I have a dual layer burner. The copy works perfectly in my other vehicle (Toyota Sienna).

Dave