Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Flushed LCD install in SC... possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-04, 12:40 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flushed LCD install in SC... possible?

I'm trying to flushmount a touchscreen LCD...

the LCD face itself measures 5" x 6.5" while the casing and bezel measure an extra half inch around.

the 2.5 din spot of the SC measures 5 x 7 inches...

I plan to take apart the casing of the touchscreen... it'll fit length-wise... but i'm not sure about the height.

I'll need about 1/4 of an inch extra to make room for the touchscreen ribbon and misc. cables...

does anyone know if there's room to spare beneath the HVAC controls and right above the flip-out cover for the ash tray?

The LCD will mount about 1cm deep from what would be flushed with the radio bezel
Old 11-03-04, 10:10 PM
prjctSC300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would like to know this too...

Last edited by prjctSC300; 11-05-04 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-04-04, 06:08 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Flushed LCD install in SC... possible?

Originally posted by ummagawd
I'm trying to flushmount a touchscreen LCD...

the LCD face itself measures 5" x 6.5" while the casing and bezel measure an extra half inch around.

the 2.5 din spot of the SC measures 5 x 7 inches...

I plan to take apart the casing of the touchscreen... it'll fit length-wise... but i'm not sure about the height.

I'll need about 1/4 of an inch extra to make room for the touchscreen ribbon and misc. cables...

does anyone know if there's room to spare beneath the HVAC controls and right above the flip-out cover for the ash tray?

The LCD will mount about 1cm deep from what would be flushed with the radio bezel
OK, my car is in pieces right now so I can answer this question. Please explain what u need in a little more detail and take pics if possible. If I understood the question I could give u the answer.

Right now I am trying to find a way to integrate my XM or else a monitor in my 2.5 DIN gap. I have been dremelling and all kinds of stuff so I should have your answer.

Peace,
Jonny
Old 11-05-04, 05:09 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

okay.... i don't have pics at the moment but i'll try my best to describe what i'm trying to achieve here...

I have 2 choices between screens that i want to use....

this decision will be made whether or not i can successfully flushmount the LCD screen BY ITSELF (without the case/bezel)... this LCD face measures 5x6.5 inches and about 1/4 of an inch deep. I basically want to make this screen look factory (which no bezel... and yes i'll prolly void any warranties by taking the LCD apart and off of its case/bezel/housing).

To my understanding... 5x6.5 inches is the exact measurement of the 2.5 Din opening. I'm going to need a little bit of room to run the wires and stuff to make the touchscreen and LCD work. Which with these measurements.... i have about 1/2 an inch to play with on the sides.... but 0 at the top and bottom.

The question is.... will i have any room under where the HVAC controls are? Or where the ashtray is at? Is the "face" of the HVAC controls bigger than what's really behind it? Like.... would i be able to put the screen (a few mm) behind where the bottom of the "face" of the HVAC controls are at?

Otherwise... i can use the 7" screen and fit the entire thing without removing the bezel/casing and just use something to make a border to hide everything but the LCD face.
Old 11-06-04, 11:36 AM
mart
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ummagawd
The question is.... will i have any room under where the HVAC controls are? Or where the ashtray is at? Is the "face" of the HVAC controls bigger than what's really behind it? Like.... would i be able to put the screen (a few mm) behind where the bottom of the "face" of the HVAC controls are at?

Otherwise... i can use the 7" screen and fit the entire thing without removing the bezel/casing and just use something to make a border to hide everything but the LCD face.

No, the bottom of the AC control is that size all the way to the back. The top is smaller the further back it goes but that aint no good for you. The ashtray does have plenty of space behind it but not directly behind it. Imagine the size of the ashtray flap, say 5in X 2in roughly, you will need to leave 2in gap from the top of the flap back to allow it to still open. Hope that all makes sense.
Old 11-08-04, 01:08 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would something like this suit your needs?
Attached Thumbnails Flushed LCD install in SC... possible?-acleansc4carputer.jpg  
Old 11-08-04, 01:30 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

hell yea... especially if tony would make one for me