Sponsored by:

Is There Aftermarket Cd Changers For 2nd Generation Gs

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-04, 12:24 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is There Aftermarket Cd Changers For 2nd Generation Gs

NO. . the lexus has 2 communication lines and all other cd changers have one so they cant communicate with the lexus head unit. it seems that the nerwer navigation system headunits are reading xm radio inputs but not regulat headunits from what i have gatherted. lexus stereoas are all different from model to model so no generalizations can be made. for instance your 98 gs radio doesnt even have a cd CHANGER PLUG ON THE BACK OF IT LIKE MOST OTHER LEXUDS STEREOS. . THE BLITZSAFE INTERFACE COMPANY APPARENTLY THOUGHT THEY MADE AN AFTERMARKET CD CHANGER TO GS RADIO ADAPTER THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO PLUG INTO THE BACK OF THE GS PIONEER RADIO ID P1708 . BUT IT DOESNT EVEN HAVE A 12 PIN CONNECTOR ON THE BACK OF THE RADIO. SO THEY WERE QUTE REDFACED AND PULLED THE 12 PIN CONNECTOR ADAPTER FROM THE MARKET. THE CD CHANGER POWER AND WIRES COME DIRECTLY FROM THE PIONEER GS AMP LOCATED BEHIND THE GLOVEBOX.
Old 11-10-04, 08:45 PM
Krupski2
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me get this straight. So if I wanted to replace the Lexus 6 cd-changer with say an Alpine 6CD changer that plays MP3s, I cant do it?

If not, isnt there some adapter I can buy, or dont they make them?

Thx
Old 11-10-04, 09:19 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

nope. the lexus changer has 2 serial communication lines and alpine only one. so the lexus headunit wont recognize the alpine changer even if you tap the wires. there is some talk of xm , ipod and dvd players being added to lexus cd changer port but develpopment so far has been on the navigation equiped cars. by looking at the communication lines wiring diagrams the lines are split between the scceen and the amp so it looks like the nav units are easier to plug another device in the cd changer port and get it recognized as another cd changer. that hasnt been possible on the regular gsa pioneer stereo head units so far.
Old 11-13-04, 02:04 AM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

It is possible to do, but you have to run it into a FM line, say 88.3 and you have to have a cd reciever. Mine was done this way and works fine, but you have to have a cd reciever to control the cd changer, and it has to be run in on a FM radio station. If your talking, with NAV., if your not talking Nav. then disregard my comment.

John

Last edited by JohnGS4; 11-13-04 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-13-04, 05:00 AM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

we are talking about having a direst to the headunit cd changer. when you use fm changer the headunit thinks fm radio is playing and keeps cds playing through low fidelity. there is an internal equalizer that only turns the radio amplifier to high fidelity when the changer is controlled through the cd button not the fm button. fm modulators and cassette adaters are not a high fidelity solutions and waste the quality of the expensivwe stereo system of the rx300.
Old 11-13-04, 12:50 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with that. The quality sounds ****ty with the FM module. Sounds like the radio is playing (quality wise). I was on the wrong train of thought. Sorry.

John