Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Replacement of Power Antenna (motor/mast)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-04, 02:06 PM
cleoent
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement of Power Antenna (motor/mast)

Well our sc300's (95) motor took a dump on us a few months back. Not being able to stomach the idea of spending 200+ on a friggin antenna we got one off of ebay for 35 bucks. I have no idea how this whole process works, anyone know of a write up on this? I dont even know how to get the old antenna out! Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks so much.

Leo

Last edited by cleoent; 11-12-04 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-11-04, 02:10 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leo, I have no idea about the ebay part. If you want a direct replacement part a new one is $49 from speedy car parts dot com It should include the basic instructions. Hope this helps somewhat.

Last edited by mikeloc24; 11-11-04 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-11-04, 02:25 PM
cleoent
Driver School Candidate

i think even instructions on how to get the stock power antenna out would help at this point! Thanks for that link, if this antenna proves to be un-installable i'll go with those guys.
Old 11-11-04, 02:26 PM
cleoent
Driver School Candidate

btw i'm talking about the complete unit, not just the mast, hence the motor/mast in my title.
Old 11-11-04, 03:40 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

I bought one on ebay a few months ago ... if u need help instant message me (look in my profile) .... im too lazy to type intructions now
LexusFiend
Old 11-11-04, 03:42 PM
cleoent
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by LexusFiend
I bought one on ebay a few months ago ... if u need help instant message me (look in my profile) .... im too lazy to type intructions now
LexusFiend
lol, the point if this thread is that i do need help

When you have a second, if you could type those out it would be superb.
Old 11-11-04, 03:55 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

well i guess i wanted to know what u were having trouble with .... is it getting the old antenna out or threading the old antenna ? also send me the link of the one u bought, just to make sure its the same ...
this could be done faster if u just would instant message me so u can get a quicker response.
But whatever you want
lexusfiend
Old 11-11-04, 04:02 PM
cleoent
Driver School Candidate

I'm not at home, nor am I in a hurry. I bought the antenna weeks ago, i'll see if i can dig up the link....

this is the one i bought...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33639
Old 11-11-04, 04:38 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The inner trunk panel just pops off if you tug at the edges. Once it is off, you'll see the antenna:

Removing it at that point is fairly self-explanatory. You can even see the bottom screw that secures the antenna on the photo above. The antenna is also secured at the top, on the outside of the car, with a four-slot chrome cap. You can use a pair of needle-nosed pliers to lock into 2 opposed slots to unscrew it (cover the tips with tape so you don't scratch it).

Give this all a try, and if you have still have trouble post specifics. That new antenna looks like a bargain. Let us know how it works.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 11-11-04 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-11-04, 04:41 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

I bought this one ... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7907902950

Different but i still think i can help ... first thing u need to do is remove the trunk lining on that side by poping out the little black things ... next take out the mast by unscrewing the top of the mast also remove the screws holding the antenna mast that should get you started let me know if u run into any problems ... i might have forgot some details
LexusFiend
Old 11-11-04, 11:02 PM
cleoent
Driver School Candidate

ok so i got the thing mounted, reception is good however here's the problem. I can get the antenna to go up, but once the car is turned off it doesn't come back down again... thoughts/
Old 11-11-04, 11:09 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The vendor you bought it from has dozens of negative feedbacks. In fact one of them came from an LS400 owner who said: "This antenna isn't universal. I have a Lexus LS 400 and it won't work or fit!!!".

The vendor claims to provide email and/or web support- have you contacted them?

====================================

(And, by the way, this is WAY off topic, but this happens to be my 1000th post! )

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 11-11-04 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-11-04, 11:43 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Leo, the antenna is a dual trigger. It must see hot to go up, but also must see ground to come down. You are on a wire that is only showing it hot. When the connection cut's off, it just stops, it doesn't go to ground, rather it just "floats" neither hot nor ground.... IE- no connection. You can do it the complicated way with a relay or two, or you can probe for the correct wire in the back that actually grounds when it is off and is hot when on. (which already has the relays on it)

(the antenna you bought may be the reverse, you'd know by now if it goes up on hot or if it goes up on ground)

(Completely off topic, which of the 5 series did you buy recently?)

Last edited by O. L. T.; 11-11-04 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-12-04, 08:03 AM
cleoent
Driver School Candidate

I bought a 98 540....

Well the antenna has three wires coming from it, red, yellow, black. The black has a little attachment to make it easier to ground to a screw... does that help any?
Old 11-12-04, 09:33 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally posted by cleoent
I bought a 98 540....

Well the antenna has three wires coming from it, red, yellow, black. The black has a little attachment to make it easier to ground to a screw... does that help any?
sounds like you are using the yellow as the control wire, the red as hot, and the black as ground....which is perfectly fine. The problem isn't on the antenna wires, it's with thte car's wire. You need to find a connection back there that goes both hot and ground, rather than floating.

Do this.......... remove the control wire from the wire you have it hooked to now...... turn the car and radio on and touch the wires back together. Antenna should have gone up, right? Now remove the wires from each other.. Antenna does nothing, right? Now ground that wire from the antenna... did the antenna go down?

Last edited by O. L. T.; 11-12-04 at 09:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Replacement of Power Antenna (motor/mast)