Sponsored by:

bazooka tube 10"

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-01, 06:22 AM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gene, Percy.

would it be possible to install a bazooka 10" tube amplified sub in the opening of the stock 10" sub mounted vertically? and secure the tube to the seatback? Will it sound better than stock? I have heard the tubes in a few cars and they seems too sound pretty good. Or are these really cheap components?
thanks,

Old 05-02-01, 12:57 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Wink Not My First Choice

mG - Actually, the tube is designed to be corner-loaded; that is, fired into a corner of the car. Kinda like the Bose direct-reflecting home system. I know Jon Jordan ( SAS/Bazooka founder & CEO ) well - even bought one of his prototype tubes back in 1985 when he showed up at a crank-it-up in my hometown ( he was trying to get the company off the ground back then - nice job, Jon!! ). I think the tube has a place in the 12 volt world but since the advent of woofers designed for small enclosures, I think it's niche may now be removability & ease of installation, especially the amplified model. IMO ( and as I said, Jon's a friend ), the tube is equal to the non-Nak sub setup & inferior to the ML & Nak sub systems. So why change unless U need ALL of the trunk room at times & could remove the tube as needed. Please don't misunderstand - the tube is a great addition ( especially in terms of convenience ) to a system WITHOUT a sub already in place. I even threw one in my 80 year old father's S-10 & he likes it - hey P, remember our discussion of deaf dads! IMO & IME, ( I once had 8 10" non-amplified tubes in the back of MY X-cab S-10!!:eek: the tube yields somewhat muddy ( read inaccurate ) bass & the amplified one has a X-over that leaves much to be desired - the amps kinda weak as well, especially if U try & parallel another one into the loop. mG - don't know what an amplfied tube runs nowadays but REALLY think U'd be happier with a free-air sub & small amp in the factory hole but U gotta do what the budget allows so happy hunting! BTW - I've been to the SAS location ( I used to live in Baton Rouge ) & can assure U that ALL Bazooka products are well built. Kinda intrigued with their liquid-cooled amps & woofers myself!
Old 05-03-01, 06:44 AM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

mean gene,

thanks.
as always, great feedback. you and percy need to start a syndicated program

I think I'll install a free air sub, or use the rear shelf and make a sealed enclosure. I don't want booming sound. maybe push about 250 max into the sub. I'll look at Percy's pics again and notes and seem if I can get a nice 12" in the factory location. then work on all the door speakers.

The main thing is KILL the rattles from the trunk lid, the license plate, and I think the spoiler. I'll wait til it gets a bit warmer to do the sound proofing.