Sponsored by:

Optima Yellow Vs Red

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-04, 11:40 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Optima Yellow Vs Red

I realize the Yellows are better for deep cycle applications but what do you guys think of this chart:

For starting, the red seems better than "typical" batteries but the yellow is not quite as impressive. Does it really matter? Feedback please.
Old 11-17-04, 01:05 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unless you live in ANtartica and dont drive your car for a few days at times.. that small difference makes no difference to me.
Old 11-17-04, 01:09 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

The yellow are designed for deep cycle, marine type use. The red are designed to be used as starter batteries. The chart just re-enforces that.
Old 11-17-04, 01:19 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by UptownGS
unless you live in ANtartica and dont drive your car for a few days at times.. that small difference makes no difference to me.
So are you saying it is not a big enough difference for you to go with red? What if you don't drive the car every day?
Old 11-17-04, 01:35 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

There are other advantages to having a Optima other than just the chart. One being that the battery will last up to twice as long. So if you plan on keeping the car for a while and factor in the cost of the hassle of getting another battery it may be worth it to you. I would like to own one, but I think when the time comes I will just go to Costco and get a Kirkland at less than half the price and made by the same company as Optima (Johnson Controls).

Last edited by mikey00; 11-17-04 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-17-04, 01:42 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by mikey00
There are other advantages to having a Optima other than just the chart. One being that the battery will last up to twice as long. So if you plan on keeping the car for a while and factor in the cost of the hassle of getting another battery it may be worth it to you. I would like to own one, but I think when the time comes I will just go to Costco and get a Kirkland at less than half the price and made by the same company as Optima (Johnson Controls).
But if the comparison is red vs yellow, the advantage of having an Optima is no longer there.

As for the Kirkland one, are you saying it is basically a red without the optima "shape"?
Old 11-17-04, 02:20 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sorry, I thought the previous poster was saying there wasn't enough difference between a conventional battery and Optima. You are correct, comparing red to yellow the extra life advantage is not there. The Kirkland is a conventional battery.
Now just comparing red to yellow. The yellow is made for deep cycle, many discharges and recharges and can also hold a charge longer for seasonal type vehicles. Optima claims it can sit for a year at room temperature and still start a car. That doesn't necessarily mean yellow is better. This comes at the cost of starting power as you can see in the chart. Unless you have the need for deep discharges or want to let your RX sit for months at a time, I would go for the extra starting power of red.
Old 11-17-04, 04:55 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

but if you run a high powered audio system or extra power outlets in your car then use the Yellow. from my understanding the red is nice but just a buffed up version of your regular brand battery. The yellow w/ its Deep cycle property is really what you pay for.
Old 11-18-04, 12:39 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Neither, look up US-AMPS SPL 2000

2000 continuous amps
Old 11-18-04, 12:57 AM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by O. L. T.
Neither, look up US-AMPS SPL 2000

2000 continuous amps
It does not look like they sell it anymore though. Either that or the website just does not list the battery. 2000 is crazy. Red is only 800 while yellow is only 750.
Old 11-18-04, 01:00 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

are we talking about amps here or batteries?
Old 11-20-04, 01:51 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

neo i have the red top because if its high cranking power and the fact that it has a 3 year FULL replacement warranty no prorated crap
Old 11-20-04, 04:18 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by lexusondubs
neo i have the red top because if its high cranking power and the fact that it has a 3 year FULL replacement warranty no prorated crap
I had a read and a yellow sitting in my garage since my car has been cranking kind of weird lately. I don't drive the car as much as I used to and it can sit for 2-3 days before being driven again. My battery is the OEM one, never replaced since we bought the car in 98 so it is due. The battery has died 2 days in a row so I did not want to make it 3. Since I will be putting in some more electronics soon, I decided to go ahead with the yellow.

Works great. Even the lights (interior and exterior) seems a little brighter. The positive terminal is a little small and it is a reach for the connector. It is in there now so the car can run but I'll need to remedy this soon.

This is just my personal experience so far. The thread was meant more as a feedback location so that members with future battery decision can get some benefit.

For future reference, the battery I got was the D34/78. Even though it is not listed on the optima battery finder, I think this is the one most people are using.
Old 11-20-04, 07:46 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

had my sub and amp installed today... w/ the yellow top my lights are still dimming everytime the bass hits hard. I think I'm going to swtich out the battery post connectors first and see if that makes a difference... if not then I guess a new alt is on the way.... another un-planned mod.
Old 11-20-04, 08:37 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by UptownGS
I think I'm going to swtich out the battery post connectors first and see if that makes a difference... if not then I guess a new alt is on the way.... another un-planned mod.
Let us know what you end up doing. I am actually looking into both of these options too.

Quick Reply: Optima Yellow Vs Red